Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #91
NiaTrue
Edge User

Justin, you started this thread by asking for others' opinions, then got mad because you didn't like some of the answers. I think that speaks for itself. No one here has questioned the right of developers to make a living, but who wants to buy products from mean people/companies or bullies?

Chubulor, I made no reference whatsoever to enTourage's language; that's clear from my posts. In fact, I've pointed out that we haven't heard their reasoning for not releasing the source code earlier. We've only heard complaints, usually rude ones, from developers about not being able to get it. I also suggested that they be open about why they've been so cagey. Maybe they have a good reason, maybe not. Don't know until I hear it.

Now that it has been released, lots of people who actually own and use an eDGe are really happy, including me. Those of us who've been posting longer than a week have long lists of feature requests and ideas for improvements. Check the forum.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #92
Snow
Edge User

For the sake of organizing ideas, we will close this thread on Tuesday as it is getting to be quite long. You can continue the conversations, I'm not trying to discourage them, merely organize them.

Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #93
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
Now that it has been released, lots of people who actually own and use an eDGe are really happy, including me. Those of us who've been posting longer than a week have long lists of feature requests and ideas for improvements. Check the forum.
I really hope this comment isn't directed at me, considering I (1) own and use an Edge, and (2) have been posting for longer than a week (since June) including some app and feature requests. Unfortunately, the only interpretation that makes sense is that you're directing that at me, to which I can only respond: check the forum.

You know my position on the source code issue, and I know yours. We're not going to convince each other so let's just let that die.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #94
robot
Edge User

NiaTrue, you're completely wrong.
1. At first, we asked for source code many times. Starting from the moment when i get EE (in march). Then I asked another users to do the same hoping that bigger demand will help. Than you remember the thread about GPL violation. Then when I talked with EE executive about development I also mention that it's allmost impossible without source code.... So during 5 month all request were ignored. I don't get why EE choose such kind of releationship. But it's their decision. On my hand I also decide to not promote EE via our media or community channels. (yep. it's loose loose situation, but I simply can't promote an item if I were not satisfied with it).
2. Now EE released source code. HipHopHurrey!? Wrong. Because it's incomplete and we not even able to rebuild current kernel modules (not spoken about complete rebuild of system).
3. If you run EE, go to settings, about then there's "licensing information" tab. Click on commercial... the only listed is "Adobe". Then click on GPL... and you'll see the huge list of GPL code used. Then think, whom you must thanks for making such device awailable to you: an company which take other's people work and spend several monthes to compile it.., or the people behind this code which spend several years to create something which anyone can use?

Old 08-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #95
NiaTrue
Edge User

Chubulor, it speaks volumes that you think the only possible interpretation of something is yours. Every time I've directed a comment at you, I've addressed you by name. The comment you're referring to wasn't directed at you. Duh, it was directed at posters who've been posting for a week-ish and clearly haven't read the threads, not to mention those who want the source code but don't own an eDGe.

robot, I'm completely wrong? About some posters being unprofessional on the boards with regard to their efforts to get the source code? Have you forgotten how obnoxious vicnic got before he was banned? I think you've misunderstood. What I said was that of the people who posted to the forum about their efforts to get the source code, the only one who wasn't offensive or a bully about it was you. No doubt, many other people may have requested the source code and simply didn't post about it. Justin said he has enough of the code to work with for now, and I assumed he knew what he was talking about. Guess not.

And robot, if enTourage chose not to release the code, illegal or not, then they also chose to lose out on people who might not promote it for that reason. Do you really think that posters being offensive on their boards will make them change their minds? I assume given your location that a face-to-face meeting with them would have been difficult, but perhaps a more nuanced request for help from regular posters might have yielded help from posters with connections you don't have. One example? I know an attorney who does this kind of work (sometimes pro bono), an Ivy League-educated intellectual property guy who is also a web-savvy geek. He eats this stuff up, but I'd never refer an obnoxious poster to him.

Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #96
jcase
Edge User

If you are going to be rude and act how you are, please stay out of my hreads.

Snow,

Please don't close my threads.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #97
jcase
Edge User

NiaTrue,

You comments and actions show that you are the ignorant person you appear to be.
Thanks to you I am done with any further open development to the eDGe. I will however, just for the rest of the members go after enTourage for GPL issues.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #98
Zem
Edge User

This thread has been closed. While we appreciate open discussion and criticism (good and bad), some of you keep posting personal remarks and attacks. Please keep your posts relevant to the subject of the thread and do not post personal attacks and remarks. We will moderate more strictly if personal attacks keep happening.

Edit: If you still want to continue discussing and voicing your opinions about some of the subjects that have been posted in this thread, please feel free to open new threads with appropriate titles and posts requesting those opinions. However do not post personal attacks at other forum members. This is the last warning - you know who you are.

-Z