Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #31
skapsal
Edge User

This image of google maps with the blue arrow implies that it is using a GPS signal to track location. Is there a GPS in the eDGE or were you using a usb device or something else???

Old 08-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #32
jcase
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy R View Post
27 replies out of 465 readers = "Iarge portion"?? How many "Atta boy's" do you need?

Perhaps a "+", "-" icon system along side the "Report Post" would provide better stats?

Your goals and efforts are ++. But ....
Fact is I ask for code that should of been released months ago, I get jumped down my throat for it. I don't need any attaboys, I need the device running smooth and become popular so I can target it with my own apps.

And it isn't blackmail to make a forprofit violation public knowledge.

Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #33
jcase
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapsal View Post
This image of google maps with the blue arrow implies that it is using a GPS signal to track location. Is there a GPS in the eDGE or were you using a usb device or something else???

Details will come soon. Yes location services are functioning properly.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #34
Eddy R
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase View Post
Fact is I ask for code that should of been released months ago, I get jumped down my throat for it. I don't need any attaboys, I need the device running smooth and become popular so I can target it with my own apps.

And it isn't blackmail to make a forprofit violation public knowledge.
You're talking to the choir. Why the insult? The suggested system would give a "one-click" and more accurate method for You, robot, and others to get feed back. Please, assume that a "non-reply" is not a sign of non-support. It's just that most non-contributing readers have more self-control than I.

EDIT: changed "readers" to "non-contributing readers".

Last edited by Eddy R; 08-14-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #35
jcase
Edge User

Quote:
You're talking to the choir. Why the insult? The suggested system would give a "one-click" and more accurate method for You, robot, and others to get feed back. Please, assume that a "non-reply" is not a sign of non-support. It's just that most non-contributing readers have more self-control than I.

Eddy,

I did not mean that as an insult to you, please accept my apologies. I was griping about others, who jumped down my throat about the code to you (not at you).

Justin

Last edited by jcase; 08-14-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #36
StevenP
Edge User

The release of the source code is great news! As a developer I will be interested in a taking a look at it when I have some spare time.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #37
jcase
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenP View Post
The release of the source code is great news! As a developer I will be interested in a taking a look at it when I have some spare time.
Steve I am looking for help on some stuff with it, if your interested contact me. I have several modifications done. I gotta see about getting permission to distribute them, if not I will make an app to apply patches so I don't have to worry about licensing.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #38
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Details will come soon. Yes location services are functioning properly.
That's pretty interesting, I've tried to use location aware apps in the past and always got a pop up to please enable location. That made me wonder if it was there, just disabled and hidden.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:06 AM   #39
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:

I can understand jcase's reaction when within 15 minutes he already had two dismissive replies from the people he's trying to help, on a subject he was working hard on (and according to him, getting a lot of illegal resistance from Entourage). His point about some forum participants turning into an Entourage version of iFans is spot-on, as well.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #40
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
I can understand jcase's reaction when within 15 minutes he already had two dismissive replies from the people he's trying to help, on a subject he was working hard on (and according to him, getting a lot of illegal resistance from Entourage). His point about some forum participants turning into an Entourage version of iFans is spot-on, as well.
Way off the mark. Adults who purport to be business people usually know better than to try to blackmail people with whom they want to do business. Best of intentions perhaps, but it's childish and rude and is also the mark of an amateur. And get real, jcase isn't doing this altruistically. He says himself, he's doing it to make money.

I can't imagine a user who doesn't want the eDGe to improve. But give up the lame argument that threatening to sue the company is a good thing for users. Please. *rolls eyes* Who starts off a business relationship like that?

Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 AM   #41
janiki
Edge User

Quote:
Steve I am looking for help on some stuff with it, if your interested contact me. I have several modifications done. I gotta see about getting permission to distribute them, if not I will make an app to apply patches so I don't have to worry about licensing.
Would this app be similar to the MARKET4Archos.apk for the A5IT that is found over at http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=29833?

Old 08-15-2010, 02:36 AM   #42
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
Way off the mark. Adults who purport to be business people usually know better than to try to blackmail people with whom they want to do business. Best of intentions perhaps, but it's childish and rude and is also the mark of an amateur. And get real, jcase isn't doing this altruistically. He says himself, he's doing it to make money.

I can't imagine a user who doesn't want the eDGe to improve. But give up the lame argument that threatening to sue the company is a good thing for users. Please. *rolls eyes* Who starts off a business relationship like that?
It is possible to help people AND make money with the same work. That's why market economies work so well in satisfying human needs.

If all users can do is ask nicely for vendors to live up to their obligations under the GPL, then the GPL is little more than non-absorbent toilet paper. It sounds like people have been asking nicely for a while now, and there's only been a serious response when hardball started being played. Business people understand there's a time for hardball as well.

And your comparing developers who demand compliance with the GPL to toddlers whining for candy is what's way the heck off the mark.

Last edited by Chubulor; 08-15-2010 at 03:02 AM. Reason: changed heck from something else

Old 08-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #43
jcase
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post

Sheri,

Demanding a company comply with the GPL license is not blackmail. Demanding money for GPL based products without releasing code is theft/fraud. Not understanding that is the mark of an amateur, and an ignorant (uneducated in general; lacking knowledge or sophistication) person.

They promised to release it over a month ago, and didn't until after I let the opensource community know of it. Thankfully enTourage released most (not all) of the GPL code they used, and its enough for me to do what I want for now.

Justin

Last edited by jcase; 08-15-2010 at 03:09 AM.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:05 AM   #44
jcase
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
It is possible to help people AND make money with the same work. That's why market economies work so well in satisfying human needs.

If all users can do is ask nicely for vendors to live up to their obligations under the GPL, then the GPL is little more than non-absorbent toilet paper. According to jcase he's been asking nicely for a while now, and only got a serious response when he started playing hardball. Business people understand there's a time for hardball as well.

And your comparing developers who demand compliance with the GPL to toddlers whining for candy is what's way the heck off the mark.
A+ but one correction, others asked for a while. I asked once, was told my request was not legit, then let the android community know about the issues. We had the source the same day. enTourage is being very cool now, and filled my request promptly. Generally with GPL violation, it companies (like htc did to me before) will take months.

Business is business, and business is always good for me. Vast majority of my work is release for free, or requiring a donation to a youth outreach program (google "jcase android youth"

Last edited by jcase; 08-15-2010 at 03:15 AM.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:09 AM   #45
Chubulor
Edge User

Yeah, I just edited my comment when I saw that you just started posting about this recently. I was probably remembering other people talking about it in months past...