Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-28-2023, 06:34 PM   #46
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneurette View Post
I have spent untold hours trying in vain to filter out romance from my overdrive/Libby searches! It seriously makes me unreasonably angry because can it really be that difficult?
I've not had any difficulty in filtering using libbyapp.com or the Android phone app. From libbyapp.com, selecting search, under subject => I simply tap/select the different categories I am interested in and leave the rest deselected. The same can be accomplished with format, availability, language, etc., with "reset filters" at the bottom.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:39 PM   #47
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneurette View Post
I have spent untold hours trying in vain to filter out romance from my overdrive/Libby searches! It seriously makes me unreasonably angry because can it really be that difficult?
Maybe we can get Chat GPT to recognize naked torsoes and Georgian gowns?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 10:08 PM   #48
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I've not had any difficulty in filtering using libbyapp.com or the Android phone app. From libbyapp.com, selecting search, under subject => I simply tap/select the different categories I am interested in and leave the rest deselected. The same can be accomplished with format, availability, language, etc., with "reset filters" at the bottom.
I read primarily literary fiction and both literature and fiction filters/subjects include romance unfortunately. This is in the web version and the app. When I go to the bookstore there is a separate section for this genre, why not in overdrive/Libby? How can Barnes and Noble figure it out but not the library?
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 04:47 AM   #49
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Can't recommend library books through Overdrive after April 30th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
My biggest complaints with OD/Libby:
You can't set a preference for (book) languages.
I just don't care about books in languages that I don't understand.
I don't care to hear about audio books.
I don't care to hear about books that are in Kindle only.
I would like a sane taxonomy where "bodice-rippers" are not classified as "literature".
(No offense to bodice-rippers if that is what you're looking for.)
I’m not trying to be snarky, but can’t most of this can be fixed by using the filters?
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 06:36 AM   #50
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
... can’t most of this can be fixed by using the filters?
I don't think that they are persistent.

Also, I'd like EPUB fiction originally published 1945-1968.
You sure as heck can't filter for that.

Also, on (at least one) non-American OverDrive system there is page count.
I know, page count is inexact but it's nice to see if a book is 200 pages or 500 pages before you select borrowing period.

Last edited by Renate; 05-03-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:31 AM   #51
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
I’m not trying to be snarky, but can’t most of this can be fixed by using the filters?
Try it. Try a couple of searches for fiction and non-bodice rippers.

Or how about, I want to check for new release regularly, but I want epub and "fiction" (NOT non-fiction (and NOT childrens)), sorted by date added. I can get part of this by saving the URL.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:05 PM   #52
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Haven't gotten this notice in my library yet.

EDIT: Looks like I missed it. When I search for a book that my library doesn't have, I get the notice. I think I'll stick with Overdrive till the bitter end. For now, at least, I'm still able to use Overdrive's website for borrowing books past the May 1st date.

I wonder if this is going to eventually mess up PockeBook's (and Tolino's) ability to directly borrow Overdrive books via their e-Ink browsers?

EDIT 2: Does the LibbyApp.com website only allow downloading to Kindle or Libby — no .acsm downloads?

My experience as of May 2023:

Android phone:

Using my library's Overdrive website on my phone is like using the Overdrive app was, except that it is not possible to use Overdrive to download borrowed books on my phone (or rather, I can download a file but since the Overdrive app no longer works I cannot open the download).

Once I have found and borrowed a book using the Overdrive website, I can then use the Libby app to download and read the book.

Tolino ereader:

I am still able to access my library's Overdrive website and download books directly on my Tolino reader.

Kobo ereader:

Kobo sync works the same as before.

Last edited by 4691mls; 05-02-2023 at 12:08 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 01:15 PM   #53
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Anyone else having problems with their Kobo holds seriously being out of date, even after syncing? (I've had this issue for awhile, not just this month.)
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:14 PM   #54
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by willaful View Post
Anyone else having problems with their Kobo holds seriously being out of date, even after syncing? (I've had this issue for awhile, not just this month.)
Last one I did, I had to reboot the kobo & then re-sync so that the ready to borrow notification would appear (instead of the incorrect estimated hold time). Repeated syncing before the reboot had no effect.
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:13 AM   #55
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
Last one I did, I had to reboot the kobo & then re-sync so that the ready to borrow notification would appear (instead of the incorrect estimated hold time). Repeated syncing before the reboot had no effect.
I'll give that a try.
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:08 AM   #56
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
And it also looks like searching on an Overdrive website doesn't return books that the library doesn't own? So the only way to see if books can are available in Overdrive is to use Libby?

I was hoping I could minimize my interaction with Libby, so this is a disappointment.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote