Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Shortcovers, anybody buy from them?

I have some questions about buying from Shortcovers. I downloaded their app when it fist came out but didn't like that it needed an internet connection to use. I think it has changed since then but I no longer use it.

I bought once from the eBookwise store when I had an eBookwise and it was a huge mistake, the file was un-useable on any other devices. So I have been wary about buying from places like the Sony store and have restricted my buying only to Fictionwise, where everything is either multiformat, or in a form of DRM I can easily convert.

Now, a book has come out that I want, which is for sale at Shortcovers. It is not available yet at Fictionwise and amazon.com is showing a release date in November; this is a Canadian author so perhaps this is one time being a Canadian benefits me Anyway, I am tempted but I am not sure how this all works.

1) The file is an epub file. Does this mean I can read it on any hypothetical device which supports epub? (e.g. if I ever replace my Sony reader, can I still use this file?)

2) Can I load it into Calibre to transfer onto my Sony or does Calibre not handle DRM files?

3) How do I use the file? I removed the Adobe reader from my Mac when Sony came out with Mac software as it seemed to duplicate the fuctions of the Adobe software and I would rather have that one to rent ebooks from the library and download freebies from the Sony store. Was this a mistake? Can I use the Shortcovers file with the Sony software or must I re-download the horrible Adobe software which kept interrupting me every time I tried to do anything?

4) Basically, I am looking for some reassurance that the file will remain useable for the long term and I am not making a mistake by buying from a new store. After the whole eBookwise fisasco, I developed a comfortable little rut for myself in the ebook world, and I am skittish to venture outside of it
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Hi ficbot,
Let me try to answer your questions. I do work for Shortcovers, so I'm obviously going to be biased in my answers, but I'll do my best to answer your questions clearly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I have some questions about buying from Shortcovers. I downloaded their app when it fist came out but didn't like that it needed an internet connection to use. I think it has changed since then but I no longer use it.
The Shortcovers iPhone app, version 2.0, came out last Friday and no longer requires a live Internet connection to read - it will store your purchases offline on the device.

Quote:
1) The file is an epub file. Does this mean I can read it on any hypothetical device which supports epub? (e.g. if I ever replace my Sony reader, can I still use this file?)
You can use the file on any device that supports Adobe DRM'd ePubs. Adobe keeps a list of these on their website:
http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/devices/

Depending on the device, getting the file onto the device might be a little tricky from your Mac.

Quote:
2) Can I load it into Calibre to transfer onto my Sony or does Calibre not handle DRM files?
As far as I know Calibre doesn't support DRM'd ePubs. I just tried to load my copy of The Lost Symbol into Calibre, and it was able to add it to my library, but I couldn't view it or convert it in Calibre. I forgot my Sony Reader at home, so I don't know if it can transfer the file over. I'll check for you as soon as I get into work this morning (eastern time). I'm on a Mac as well, so it should be similar for you.

Quote:
3) How do I use the file? I removed the Adobe reader from my Mac when Sony came out with Mac software as it seemed to duplicate the fuctions of the Adobe software and I would rather have that one to rent ebooks from the library and download freebies from the Sony store. Was this a mistake? Can I use the Shortcovers file with the Sony software or must I re-download the horrible Adobe software which kept interrupting me every time I tried to do anything?
Adobe Digital Editions can read it on your Mac or on a PC if you use one. Unfortunately it can't transfer ePub files from your Mac to your Sony Reader until Sony gets around to releasing a driver for the Mac. They have announced they will support Mac's fully, but they haven't released the needed driver yet.

Quote:
4) Basically, I am looking for some reassurance that the file will remain useable for the long term and I am not making a mistake by buying from a new store. After the whole eBookwise fisasco, I developed a comfortable little rut for myself in the ebook world, and I am skittish to venture outside of it
Sony has announced that they are going to change their store to only sell ePub files (instead of their proprietary file format), and with Adobe and other vendors (like Shortcovers) behind it I believe it will be around for a very long time.

If, after reading this, you do give Shortcovers a try, and have any problems, please let me know. We are improving our service all the time, and any feedback or input you have is appreciated and taken very seriously by our product team.

Thanks for considering us,
Jordan Christensen
Product Manager, Shortcovers
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Does Shortcovers app read DRM EPUB files? If yes, can it open files from other shops, or only Shortcovers?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Distractor
Distractor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I've bought from Shortcovers - good experience. 7 or 8 books now, plus a whack of free stuff. Got won over when they added Adobe Digital Editions/epub support and started matching Kindle on bestseller prices. Been smooth so far (after some early fights between ADE and Snow Leopard, which took a little head-scratching to sort out. their customer service rocked, even though it wasn't their problem.) Now I'm moving books over to an "old" Sony PRS-505 for reading during the day-time, and reading the same book on my iPhone in bed (no reading light needed - a bonus for the significant-other.) And the iPhone doesn't count for the "no more than 6 devices" ADE rule, which is a nice bonus.

Haven't tried Calibre. Just using ADE to move stuff to the Sony. The Sony software still bites, but at least it's on the mac now.

As for your future-proofing question: Yep -- you end up with an Adobe ePUB on your machine. If you drop Sony and get something else that supports Digital Editions (which most of the non-Kindle readers do), you're off to the races. And Shortcovers has other mobile platforms too, so if you end up with a Blackberry from work or something, you're still good to go.
Distractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Does Shortcovers app read DRM EPUB files? If yes, can it open files from other shops, or only Shortcovers?
I've asked the same question on a previous thread so permit me to answer.
Their shortcovers app reads their own proprietary format. They only sell epubs but do not provide any means to read them. You will need a device that handles Adobe ePub.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Thanks!
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Checked with our team about a few more things about ePubs on Macs.

- If you buy a book from Shortcovers, the Sony software on the Mac can copy it to your device. It can read it too, but you'll need Adobe Digital Editions installed to get the initial ePub file from Shortcovers.

- Calibre can copy a DRM protected file to a Sony Reader, but it can't unlock it. You get a 'protected page' error on the device when you try to read it. If you use Sony's software to copy the file over it works fine

Hope that answers your questions.

Jordan Christensen
Shortcovers
Old 10-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCShortcovers View Post
Checked with our team about a few more things about ePubs on Macs.

- If you buy a book from Shortcovers, the Sony software on the Mac can copy it to your device. It can read it too, but you'll need Adobe Digital Editions installed to get the initial ePub file from Shortcovers.

- Calibre can copy a DRM protected file to a Sony Reader, but it can't unlock it. You get a 'protected page' error on the device when you try to read it. If you use Sony's software to copy the file over it works fine

Hope that answers your questions.

Jordan Christensen
Shortcovers
If the Sony Reader is authorized to an Adobe account, Calibre can transfer DRMed EPub to the reader and the reader will open it succesfully. I've done this myself on Linux without the Sony software installed. If you buy an Epub do you get the mobile app version of the book, too? What about vice versa?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why do I need ADE if I have the Sony software though? I hate ADE, it keeps trying to reset itself as my default reader for things even after I tell it I don't want it too.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
I would have loved to test shortcovers and buy some ebooks I wanted... but they are all restricted based on my IP...
I love the World Wide Web !
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Mobile apps use shortcovers' proprietary format (iPhone, Blackberry, Palm Pre & Android). This is actually nice because when you buy a book you get both the EPub (that you can use with your dedicated reader) AND you get to read it on their app on all those other devices if you happen to own one. The phone apps also don't count in the authorized devices count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixB View Post
I would have loved to test shortcovers and buy some ebooks I wanted... but they are all restricted based on my IP...
I love the World Wide Web !
Somebody pointed out in another thread, the restrictions are set by book publishers and they are geared more towards physical books. It will hopefully improve as publishers get off the collective butts and embrace the change.

I don't think there are any other services that are as open as shortcovers. My 2 cents.

Last edited by MDK; 05-23-2011 at 10:19 PM.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Why do I need ADE if I have the Sony software though? I hate ADE, it keeps trying to reset itself as my default reader for things even after I tell it I don't want it too.
Actually that was a mistake on my part - on Mac you can just use Sony's eBook Library software. No need for ADE!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
ficbot
Wizard

So, just to clarify...

1) Buy the book on Shortcovers and download to my Mac (via the web browser interface? Or the Sony Software?)

2) Open it in the Sony software to 'validate' it

3) Quit the Sony software, load it into Calibre and I am good to go on my Sony or on any device of my choosing

Do I have this right? The book is $11.99 so I want to be sure before I plunk down for it
Old 10-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Here's the details:

Quote:
So, just to clarify...

1) Buy the book on Shortcovers and download to my Mac (via the web browser interface? Or the Sony Software?)
Via your Web Browser. You will download a small file called 'URLLink.acsm', or something similar.

Quote:
2) Open it in the Sony software to 'validate' it
When you open the small file in eBookLibrary, Sony's software will download the ePub file, and authenticate your compute and device to read it. This might take a few minutes depending on your connection speed

Quote:
3) Quit the Sony software, load it into Calibre and I am good to go on my Sony or on any device of my choosing
You'll have to use the Sony software to copy the file to your device or to read it. Calibre can't do anything with other than tell you the title and author.

If you change devices you'll either have to use Adobe's software or that devices software.

I tested this earlier today and I can open the same file in Sony's software or in Adobe's. Calibre couldn't do anything with it.

Jordan Christensen
Shortcovers, Product Manager
Old 10-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
ficbot
Wizard

Jordan, I appreciate your help. I guess my last question would be how do I use collections this way? One thing I like about Calibre is that all of my ebooks are in collections. If I want to tag the ebook I buy from you so that it appears in my regular collections that already exist in Calibre, how can I do that in the Sony software?

Just FYI, but this is why customers are so desperate for DRM-free offerings. I use Calibre for my 500 other ebooks, enjoy Calibre and want to be able to manage my ebooks using it. If I start getting this ebook over here that needs this special method, or that ebook over there that needs that special method, the whole thing becomes much less fun. I have a *lot* of ebooks and I would never be able to find anything! Customers really need to be able to handle their ebooks in ways that work for them and if a new vendor is coming into the market late in the game and is not compatible with the systems people already have, it will make them think twice about buying.

I did download a freebie from the Sony store and load it into Calibre after I had checked it on the Sony software. It seemed to be 'validated' that way and it was readable on the Sony Reader after I loaded it in from Calibre. I suspect the same will be true of your file, but I am nervous about trying it because it will cost me money

Right now, I am tempted to just wait and see if Fictionwise comes out with it later since I have a lot to read right now, but it's the new Douglas Coupland which is not due out in the US for some time, and Fictionwise only has one other Coupland book among his many. So I am thinking I may make a trial purchase from you with this just to see how it goes. But this will be a leap of faith for me...I am really very nervous about buying anything with DRM unless I know I can remove it and get an HTML file to put in Calibre...

I appreciate your kind, helpful answers. I am just trying to explain my POV as a customer in the hopes it might help you guys as you refine your process...