Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
Onyx Boox AfterGlow 2 Released with Android 4.2 and HD E Ink Screen

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-e-ink-screen/

looks kind of similar to the Boyue T61/T62 to me : https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boyue_T61
(review : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=248702 )
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
Thanks.
It looks like the C67/D67
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2961415
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
Specifications (Android version, ..) doesn't fit.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Specifications (Android version, ..) doesn't fit.
You are right. They are similar but not identical. C67/D67 have Carta screen but there isn't any mention about Carta in Afterglow 2.
edit: no! only D67 state Carta in its specifications but not C67 (see later post)

Last edited by Manolo; 11-08-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Manolo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
You are right. They are similar but not identical. C67/D67 have Carta screen but there isn't any mention about Carta in Afterglow 2.
It seems that D67 has Carta screen but C67 not. So Afterglow 2 could be C67 based.

Last edited by Manolo; 11-08-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Advert
Old 11-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Manolo
Addict

News in The Ebook Reader blog:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-e-ink-screen/
Old 11-10-2014, 04:30 AM   #7
fozzedout
Guru
fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M96, Kindle Basic 2014, Onyx T68 Lynx, Icarus Illumina E653
This is an update that I was amazed not to see earlier, considering that the Icarus Illumina does all that the Afterglow 2 now does.

Could they be the same device, just rebranded?

Now, I already have an Icarus Illumina, and I have to say that given a choice between a 6" and 6.8" android device, it all depends on what you are wanting to use it for.

If you want a pure eReader, then 6" is the way to go - it's great.

If you want a general purpose e-ink android tablet that makes reading a joy, then the 6.8" screen comes into its own. Even with all the touch accuracy issues that I'm having with the T68.

I'll just wait and see for new devices that will grab my attention - 7" or larger. And preferably with accurate touch (the only detractor from my T68)
fozzedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
zufre
Connoisseur
zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo/Nook ST
I sent the following request to Onyx Europe:

Does the “Afterglow 2″ support IVONA? I am interested in English, French and Spanish TTS.
Regards

Their answer:
Hello,
After Glow 2 support only English IVONA. French and Spanish TTS dosen’t work.
Regards,
Karolina

They provide you with a defective Ivona instead of letting you install it from the Market. Ludicrous!
zufre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
Manolo
Addict

I agree zufre. I think was the same with Boox C65 last year.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
pxpxpx
pxpxpx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Is it worth upgrading because of audio player (I'm listening to audiobooks while reading)?
Do you think it has better screen than KPW2? It really has 3 most crucial things I was looking for: built-in light, audio support, access to dictionaries. Anyone has bought this one and can do review? I can't find any in internet
pxpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: inkBOOK
Quote:
Originally Posted by zufre View Post
I sent the following request to Onyx Europe:

Does the “Afterglow 2″ support IVONA? I am interested in English, French and Spanish TTS.
Regards

Their answer:
Hello,
Regards,
Karolina

They provide you with a defective Ivona instead of letting you install it from the Market. Ludicrous!
Please forgive my colleague. AfterGlow 2 has two voices pre-installed. It comes with English and Polish.
If you feel the need to use different TTS system please feel free to browse the Google Play store and install e.g Google Text-To-Speech app. It supports dozens of voices.

Please do not misinform other users by saying that TTS is defective!

Last edited by ArtaTechPoland; 11-15-2014 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo
ArtaTechPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
zufre
Connoisseur
zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Ivona lets you install voices in many languages including Spanish and French. If your "Ivona" does not it is obviously defective.
Regards.

Last edited by zufre; 11-15-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Ivona let's you install voices in many languages including Spanish and French. If your "Ivona" does not it is obviously defective.
Regards.
It does, but we do not sell AfterGlow 2 with Spanish and French voices. Please to do not misinform other users by saying that is defective.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:15 AM   #14
zufre
Connoisseur

Repeating what I posted before about my correspondence with Artatech:
Question:
Regards

Answer:
Hello,
Regards,
Karolina

So YOU were wrong when YOU said it did not work? YOU simply meant Spanish and French voices were not installed but could be installed?
Old 11-16-2014, 04:00 AM   #15
ArtaTechPoland
Banned

Quote:
Repeating what I posted before about my correspondence with Artatech:
Question:
Regards

Answer:
Hello,
Regards,
Karolina

So YOU were wrong when YOU said it did not work? YOU simply meant Spanish and French voices were not installed but could be installed?
I did not say it does not work. Like I said - forgive my colleague. I am going to speak with her on monday to clarify your inquiry.

It is up to Onyx what voices are installed on BOOX e-readers, and with AfterGlow 2 you get two - English and Polish. If that changes in the future (e.g firmware update) customers might see other voices in other languages on BOOX e-readers (German, French, Spanish). Right now Onyx pre-installs English and Polish.