Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-30-2014, 06:47 AM   #31
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PocketBook Inkpad Color 3
Lets try the picture again..

diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #32
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoocampo View Post
they had the hardware buttons on the right side on the facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater ) picture ...

pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2014, 07:27 AM   #33
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierro78 View Post
they had the hardware buttons on the right side on the facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater ) picture ...
That one in facebook was probably a prototype. The one I posted was showed in the official onyx chinese forum yesterday by one of the onyx employees.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #34
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
That one in facebook was probably a prototype. The one I posted was showed in the official onyx chinese forum yesterday by one of the onyx employees.
Even so, having them on the right would be more logical, given that right-handed people are a majority. But left or right, it looks better to me than the InkPad 840.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #35
diegoocampo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Even so, having them on the right would be more logical, given that right-handed people are a majority. But left or right, it looks better to me than the InkPad 840.
Not so sure.. its a big device, so you probably want to hold it with the right hand and use your left hand to touch the screen or the buttons.

And its Android, sure you will find a way to turn the screen upside-down so you can choose any way you feel more confortable.
Advert
Old 07-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #36
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:

Oh, they've changed the design somewhat. [10th Doctor]I don't like it![/10th Doctor]

The design is pretty meh, and I don't like the fact that this has an IR-touchscreen.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #37
diegoocampo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
Oh, they've changed the design somewhat. [10th Doctor]I don't like it![/10th Doctor]

The design is pretty meh, and I don't like the fact that this has an IR-touchscreen.
I've been told that IR is better than capacitive... (can someone confirm this???) and they don't say great things about the T68 touchscreen response, hopefully this one is better.

And i quite like the design, I like the fact that one of the borders is wider so you can hold the device better and well even if it isn't terribly beautiful its ok, and kind of remind of a book with this thing in the left border.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #38
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
I've been told that IR is better than capacitive... (can someone confirm this???) and they don't say great things about the T68 touchscreen response, hopefully this one is better.

And i quite like the design, I like the fact that one of the borders is wider so you can hold the device better and well even if it isn't terribly beautiful its ok, and kind of remind of a book with this thing in the left border.
I think Pocketbook's InkPad is better designed.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #39
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
I've been told that IR is better than capacitive... (can someone confirm this???)
IR touch screen means - there is no additional touch layer, which could lower contrast ratio. I can confirm that black on IR touch screen looks quite darker than on screen with capacitive touch (even on last improved modification of capacitive layer)
Regarding accuracy - IR touch is quite comparable with capacitive technique.
Both are actually not really designed for scribble annotation regardless on what device - EINK Reader or Ipad.

Regarding problem with touch screen inaccuracy on some T68 devices - the accuracy will be improved - our engineers work on it )
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #40
DrPrince
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
IR touch screen means - there is no additional touch layer, which could lower contrast ratio. I can confirm that black on IR touch screen looks quite darker than on screen with capacitive touch (even on last improved modification of capacitive layer)
Regarding accuracy - IR touch is quite comparable with capacitive technique.
Both are actually not really designed for scribble annotation regardless on what device - EINK Reader or Ipad.

Regarding problem with touch screen inaccuracy on some T68 devices - the accuracy will be improved - our engineers work on it )
Any expected date of releasing of Onyx boox i86?
Old 08-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #41
luby
luby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boeye T62
If you want to buy 2000 pcs, you can get it now apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverm0re View Post
Now that both T68 and M96 are out, does anyone know anything about the release date of i86?

Do you think that the screen density of i86 (250 PPI) would provide a significant improvement for reading PDFs (e.g. textbooks) compared to current 9.7" readers (150 PPI)?

On a related note, here are a few interesting photos showing M92, T68 and Kobo Aura HD.
Onyx International are advertising I86 wholesale with minimum purchase of 2000 units. So I imagine that it really depends on current resellers in Europe if and when we'll be able to buy one. Investing your own funds into procurement of 2000 units without being able to get a sample first is a risky proposition. I asked Artatech when they'll stock I86 and they told me only to keep checking their web site. I did not get a reply from EREADER-STORE.DE
yet for some reason.

Onyx International should generate a demand by posting videos of I86 in action, rather than waiting for resellers to place the wholesale orders.
luby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:06 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I must respectfully disagree. The capacitive touch screen is not so much a physical "layer" as a chemical coating on the screen, and is completely transparent. It should really have no visible impact on the screen contrast. The reason that almost all manufacturers have switched from IR touch screens back to capacitive ones, is that capacitive touch screens are more accurate and reliable. Onyx are rather an anomaly in switching the other way!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #43
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The capacitive touch screen is not so much a physical "layer" as a chemical coating on the screen
What else is a chemical coating on the screen if not a physical layer? Normally what they mean by 'transparent' is high optical transmission (~90%) as opposed to full optical transmission.

Here is a nice article on different touch panel sensing methods from a display manufacturer. In particular see the summary at the end which rates the light transmittance of capacitive panels at 'good' and IR panels at 'excellent'.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
What else is a chemical coating on the screen if not a physical layer? Normally what they mean by 'transparent' is high optical transmission (~90%) as opposed to full optical transmission.
This is technically true, of course. I meant that it's not a "thick" layer - it's not like looking through an additional sheet of plastic or glass.

There is a reason why pretty much every mainstream reader manufacturer who tried out IR touchscreens has gone back to capacitive touchscreens, and that's simply because the IR screens have proven to be unreliable and inaccurate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #45
DrPrince
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is technically true, of course. I meant that it's not a "thick" layer - it's not like looking through an additional sheet of plastic or glass.

There is a reason why pretty much every mainstream reader manufacturer who tried out IR touchscreens has gone back to capacitive touchscreens, and that's simply because the IR screens have proven to be unreliable and inaccurate.
There is significant differences in contrast between Kobo aura hd and onyx boox t68 which use the exact screen sine the touch technology