Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Initial thoughts on BeBook Neo

The BeBook Neo is a 6" reader with a Wacom touch screen, hence the screen is very sharp and clear, with no degradation as occurs (to a minor, but noticeable) extent with resistive touch screens such as the Sony devices use. It also has WiFi, so you can buy books on-line, or go to any web site. You really wouldn't want to use it for any "serious" web browsing, though; complex web sites with lots of graphics take ages to load - eg the BBC News home page takes about a minute to fully display.

All the usual formats are supported, with what looks like a perfectly standard implementation of ADE. The touch screen is nicely utilized, with an on-screen keyboard for searching in books, dictionary lookup (it uses standard "Stardict" dictionaries) and annotation.

Full folder support, with an SDHC memory card slot. I'm storing all my books on a 16GB Sandisk card (£17.99 from Amazon) which seems to work just fine.

The "home page" is nicely implemented, with a good "file manager". You can create shortcuts to your favourite books, and there's a "recently read" folder which gives you rapid access to what you're currently reading, and displays for each book such useful information as how far through it you are, and when you last opened it. You can display folder contents in three ways: "List" (a simple list of filenames), "Detail" (a list, with extra lines showing your reading position, and access date), and "Thumbnail" (which shows book covers).

The UI has obviously had a lot of thought put into it. Pretty much every task can be done either with the touch screen or with the navigation button. The only things you really have to use the stylus for are annotation and using the on-screen keyboard.

There is the ability to install applications (as with Pocketbook), so there's good potential for the future.

For a "v1" firmware, it's a very impressive machine. It's going to be my main "at home" reader from now on. Very good indeed!

There's only one problem which I'd highlight at present, and that's the fact that no case is supplied and, indeed, none is yet available to buy as an accessory. I think that's a serious shortcoming. Hopefully cases will be available for purchase very soon.

Hardware-wise, the Neo is identical to the Onyx Boox 60.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's only one problem which I'd highlight at present, and that's the fact that no case is supplied and, indeed, none is yet available to buy as an accessory. I think that's a serious shortcoming. Hopefully cases will be available for purchase very soon.

Hardware-wise, the Neo is identical to the Onyx Boox 60.
You can use the Boox case then, can't you?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, and that did occur to me. But "proper" Neo cases should be available in a week or two, so I think I'll wait.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
It's going to be my main "at home" reader from now on. Very good indeed!
Will you use a different reader on your travels? Why - battery life?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
azzywazzy
azzywazzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Hi Harry

Thanks for the post! The Neo is most likely going to be my first purchase - it seems to do most of the things I'd like - although I saw your other comment somewhere else about annotation. Hopefully that will get fixed in a future release.

Good to start getting feedback from people who've been able to play with one.
azzywazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
azzywazzy. Come over to the BeBook support forums. http://www.mybebook.com
There is a lot of feedback at the moment as you can imagine.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
Will you use a different reader on your travels? Why - battery life?
Portability. The Pocketbook 360 is a lot smaller, lighter, and easier to carry.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Harry, I know you have a prs-600 and like it. How does it compare to the BeBook Neo?

Is there any shop in the UK where I can see the Bebook up close, or can it only be ordered online?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Harry, I know you have a prs-600 and like it. How does it compare to the BeBook Neo?

Is there any shop in the UK where I can see the Bebook up close, or can it only be ordered online?
Only on-line, to the best of my knowledge.

Pros of the Neo:

MUCH better screen quality, due to the Wacom touch screen.
Much better ADE implementation (full justification in ePub files)
More formats supported
WiFi (not important to me, but may be for some)
Folder support.

Pros of the Sony:

Currently much more refined software for dictionary lookup and annotation.

Overall, I'd say the Neo is a clear winner.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
JediEagle
JediEagle began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Neo
Could you post some pictures? Some ebook examples, dictionary examples etc. There is a lot of pictures of other readers on the forum, except this one

Last edited by JediEagle; 03-16-2010 at 04:40 PM.
JediEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:15 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK - I'll try to do so this weekend.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:20 AM   #12
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
For BBC, i use this link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/low
Boox/neo renders it very nicely
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Only on-line, to the best of my knowledge.

Pros of the Neo:

MUCH better screen quality, due to the Wacom touch screen.
Much better ADE implementation (full justification in ePub files)
More formats supported
WiFi (not important to me, but may be for some)
Folder support.

Pros of the Sony:

Currently much more refined software for dictionary lookup and annotation.

Overall, I'd say the Neo is a clear winner.
I had narrowed it down to the Neo and the 600 when I was trying to decide what to buy. In the end, I had to base it on price. The Neo was going to cost me AUD $549-$569 to buy and the 600 was costing me around AUD $280. Half the price!

Don't know why the Neo is so expensive! Had to sacrifice on the couple of extra pros of the Neo but in the end I am happy with my purchase
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almas View Post
Don't know why the Neo is so expensive! Had to sacrifice on the couple of extra pros of the Neo but in the end I am happy with my purchase
It's because the Bebook site defaults to our currency. An Onyx Boox, however, you could have had for $299USD (it's gone up to $349 now, I think). Practically idential devices.

They were some of the devices I was trying to decide between, too. I didn't want the glare of the PRS-600, though and in the end decided to start out with a 5" Pocketbook 360 as my first reader and see what happens in the reader world by Christmas time.

I'm with you, I would never pay that price for a Neo. And I've spoken to be Bebook people about it already. They say that are trying to bring the price down. I'm not holding my breath.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #15
JediEagle
JediEagle began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Neo
Quote:
OK - I'll try to do so this weekend.

Maybe this weekend, then ?
JediEagle is offline   Reply With Quote