dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Thanks . Insipte many attempts the firmware remains at 1.7.5 version
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #1097
engage
engage began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max
Very informative thread, I thank all the contributors. Been following it as a lurker for some time now. I've had the boox max for about 6 months now and it has been an invaluable ereader for me that I use at least a few times a week. I've held off on the latest update until now. I proceeded to update firmware 1.8.1 to 1.8.2 from the official links posted in the thread. I have the original model and not the carta edition. It appeared the update went through, but upon reboot only the onyx logo is present and the cpu light stays on. None of the normal loading sequences are present. From what I can deduce or not, it looks like a continual cycle of cpu looping without any result of a standard start up. My attempts at a reboot include with and without direct outlet power as well as charging over night with the device off. I am wondering if any of you have a tool to reset the device to to the original firmware. I'm in Colorado and don't think it can be fixed here otherwise. Any other suggestions are also welcome. Thanks for your time.
engage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #1098
Luzanne
Luzanne began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, Onyx Boox Max
Sounds like a boot-loop rather than a hard brick, so hold on: there is hope!
First thing to try would be to see if you can boot in recovery and/or fastboot mode:

1. Turn device off (and make sure it's fully charged, but from your post I understand that you did that already – although I'm not completely sure it actually charges if it is off).

2. Press and hold simultaneously Power + Next buttons (for fastboot) or Power + Back buttons (for recovery) until something happen; the LED should be purple (red + blue).

3. Try both and report the results here. In the meantime, you can go and read https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox...roubleshooting (it's actually for the M96, but the firmwares are quite similar).

Last edited by Luzanne; 09-22-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: precision
Luzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:37 AM   #1099
engage
engage began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max
Thumbs up Good To Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzanne View Post
Sounds like a boot-loop rather than a hard brick, so hold on: there is hope!
First thing to try would be to see if you can boot in recovery and/or fastboot mode:

1. Turn device off (and make sure it's fully charged, but from your post I understand that you did that already – although I'm not completely sure it actually charges if it is off).

2. Press and hold simultaneously Power + Next buttons (for fastboot) or Power + Back buttons (for recovery) until something happen; the LED should be purple (red + blue).

3. Try both and report the results here. In the meantime, you can go and read https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boo...roubleshooting (it's actually for the M96, but the firmwares are quite similar).
Thank you for the reply, I was able to sort things out, I happened across one of the other onyx boox ereader threads on the forum and found info regarding the MFG_Tools2. With the running around through all the forum posts and getting all the software items in place and in the proper order, it turned out to be an all day fix. But in the end I was able to flash it and to my grateful surprise the machine came back to life. Took another day to organize and replace all my ebooks. In the end I can't thank everyone enough for the step by step guides. I never in a million years could have sorted it out myself otherwise. And also a thank you to you for seeing my dilemma and posting helpful links!
engage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #1100
grandnez
grandnez began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox Max
convenient backups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Some people learn about backups the hard way. You don't need 4.4 to do regular backups.
This is something I have been wanting to ask. HOW PEOPLE DO BACKUPS OF ALL THEIR EDITED pdf's AND NOTES? I think this is a very important issue.

The only possibility I see is, for each edited pdf, export the document and, afterwords, copy al exported documents to an external computer via usb.
Then export each note, and copy all the generated folders also to the computer.

This method seems really painstaking, if you want to keep the backup of the contents of the onyx boox max updated regularly. Any suggestion?
grandnez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:49 AM   #1101
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
when we should expect the next generation of carta/monitor / whatever is called the next 13.3 with android 6?
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:15 AM   #1102
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
I wouldn't rush them too much. You don't want a buggy device
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #1103
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
when we should expect the next generation of carta/monitor / whatever is called the next 13.3 with android 6?
Hoping for an announcement this month. I think we might see something by the end of the year or January
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #1104
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If only the rekindling strike of some leak... The chinese forum seem immensely slow, in general. Duolingo is about to release the Chinese course, but it looks hardly worth it.
If only Booxtor would re-emerge from the mist... Is it inappropriate to write that his silence may remind Merlin frozen by Morgana's spell in Boorman's narration?
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #1105
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
If only Booxtor would re-emerge from the mist... Is it inappropriate to write that his silence may remind Merlin frozen by Morgana's spell in Boorman's narration?
Booxtor was hoping Onyx would release Max 2 in 2016 and then this summer but nothing happened. Instead they announced Typewriter and 10" Note with comical hardware and Android 4.0.4.
I would be silent too. What else can you say.

On the other hand Dasung was also going to release its first Ereader but nothing happened since December 2016.
Fujitsu is working on one.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #1106
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Booxtor was hoping Onyx would release Max 2 in 2016 and then this summer but nothing happened. Instead they announced Typewriter and 10" Note with comical hardware and Android 4.0.4.
I would be silent too. What else can you say.
I'm actually not displeased that they haven't released the Max Carta 2, or whatever its name will be, yet. I'm hoping that the delay means that they are trying to get it right. But, of course, any delay means that they are competing against increasing standards.

Sony has upped the ante in regard to handling PDF files. Remarkable has shown what is possible in terms of note taking and drawing. The Max and Netronix have hinted at what COULD be possible with an Android device... But nobody, unfortunately, as of yet has combined the best of all possible universes.

Here's hoping that the upcoming Onyx device, whenever it should arrive, gets it right. Until then, my Max is serving me well enough. It will take some vast improvement, though, to get me to part with any more of my money. A lackluster device just won't cut it.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #1107
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
any delay means that they are competing against increasing standards.
Thank God! The first (?) RockChip 3288 based EPD device is (are?) out, that sets new commercial standards. Raise the bar, we all benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Sony has upped the ante in regard to handling PDF files. Remarkable has shown what is possible in terms of note taking and drawing. The Max and Netronix have hinted at what COULD be possible with an Android device...
PDF files: I do not know, I have not checked, but Librera is almost excellent, what it may not do yet it will do in the future, and I am doing my small part to encourage that it happens - I had the honour and privilege to contribute a little code already today. And Librera is working well on the MaxCarta - that's my testing platform. So, I am currently not missing further PDF features.
Note taking and drawing - again, for a few reasons I could not check the Remarkable product (I think I dropped the interest immediately - is not it closed?), but software for Android is not there in the public?
Just give me a powerful processor, and I will lift Archimedes.

Last edited by mdp; 10-08-2017 at 02:06 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:05 AM   #1108
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Fujitsu is working on one.
Monitor or e-reader?
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:00 AM   #1109
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4H35H View Post
Monitor or e-reader?
E-reader: the "Fujitsu Digital Paper M01". Known about through the usual method of its certification process, and reputed to be a 13.3" device aimed at the business market in Japan.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #1110
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
E-reader: the "Fujitsu Digital Paper M01". Known about through the usual method of its certification process, and reputed to be a 13.3" device aimed at the business market in Japan.
Although afaik the size and market are purely speculative at this point, right? (Though relatively plausible)
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote