Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Shopping for a Refurb

Hello Sony Folk,

I'm looking at a refurbished Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition (PRS600RC).

Watching video reviews I have not seen this reader have any option for changing the font. The SIZE of the font can be changed, yes, but does the reader provide any option for using a different font? Or will it only display the font in the original file? (I use epubs).

Also, if anyone would like to share their impressions of and experience with this reader it would be very welcome.

Many thanks!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 600 is a very poor choice. The screen has a touch layer that's very reflective and it makes the screen look murky. It's also rather heavy. You cannot change the font and you cannot get a light cover for it. It's also slow and uses an old version of RMDSK (ADE) which cannot do full justify and cannot hyphenate. Also, there isn't any way to change the font other than to embed the fonts you want in the eBooks. Reading with a 600 is like reading with a mirror. Every page turn has a flash which clears the screen and then it draws the next screen. Newer devices don't flash on every page. And finally, the 600 can freeze, be really slow, or reboot with eBooks that have hi-res images and a lot of eBooks come with a hi-res cover and a hi-res title page.

You'd be best to go with a Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2. The screen is very nice. It's a hi-resolution Carta screen at 6.8". The extra .8" is very nice. Also, you can add your own fonts and you can customize the firmware some with the patches. Plus, with the patches, it allows you to adjust the weight of side loaded fonts. The H2O2 has a front light and a comfort light for adjusting the blueness of the light. And finally, you can manage collections easily using Calibre.

But whatever you do decide to get, don't go with a Sony Reader. None of them are all that good these days.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-09-2017 at 02:45 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Thanks, Wolf.

No doubt, the H2O2 is a fine device. I was tempted by a low price on an older, refurbished machine.

I can put up with many of the limitations of an older device, but not being able to change the font would be annoying. Also, some of your other points were not apparent in the videos I was able to see. So, thanks again.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Thanks, Wolf.

No doubt, the H2O2 is a fine device. I was tempted by a low price on an older, refurbished machine.

I can put up with many of the limitations of an older device, but not being able to change the font would be annoying. Also, some of your other points were not apparent in the videos I was able to see. So, thanks again.
I've had and have some Sony Readers. I have a 650 and a T1. The T1 is very slow to display hi-res images. I've not tried with multiple hi-res images in a given flow. But older Sony may not be so forgiving and may not work as well.

Given that you have a Kobo Mini, you know what you can do with a Kobo. I have the original H2O and I would highly recommend the H2O2.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
@Calenorn, if you don't mind an upgrade from the 600, i have a T2 in excellent condition. PM me if you are interested.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #6
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
If you're in the US and really want a 600, they can be had cheap on shopgoodwill.com. I've got a bunch of my Sony readers from there and not paid more than $20 each.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:17 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
If you're in the US and really want a 600, they can be had cheap on shopgoodwill.com. I've got a bunch of my Sony readers from there and not paid more than $20 each.
This only problem is that it's a crap shoot on the battery.