Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #16
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Sound effects? Music? NFW! I hate it. Just hate it. I can barely tolerate music at the beginning of the book, and the very end. And then only because it's blissfully short, usually. But every chapter? No way. And for dramatic moments? Hello, do you think I'm too stupid to get that it's a dramatic moment? Or do you simply think that your narration and the author's writing are both so poor that this is the only way I'll notice?

Sheesh!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #17
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
The Blackstone Audio edition of the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey-Maturin series had a very short musical piece at the beginning and end of each book, which I rather liked. Music between every chapter would be quite annoying, and sound effects would be horrible. The worst use of music I've encountered was in Margaret Atwood's The Year of the Flood in which the hymns from "The God’s Gardeners Oral Hymnbook" were set to music and performed. I ended up fastforwarding over those. Of course, I disliked that audiobook anyway because I loathed two of the three readers.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Cheaper by the Dozen has music between chapters, which continues for a bit under the narration. The use of old-time music, with a player piano sound, is effective in setting the mood, fitting the era and the innocence of the story.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #19
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Only Patterson seems to have sound effects, of the Authors I have. I really don't appreciate my ears being Blasted with gun fire bombs etc. cripe it Louder than the person reading the e-book. Really hurts my ears. I really Hate music in between chapters. I love it when they are read with feeling not jut reading words droning on & on.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #20
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
The newly produced version of Battlefield Earth has 65 people doing voices, and from the sample, sound effects. Normally I don't want to hear that, but I do want to listen to the new version. (I put in a request at overdrive).

(Detractors, I don't care what you think. I read the book 30 years ago, still have my copy, and also enjoy the movie. I've never read anything else by the author).

I did enjoy the audiobook of the new Star Wars movie, even with the sound effects. I did NOT enjoy the audio tapes of The Survivalist by Ahern with their gunfire and other sounds.

Generally speaking, I do not like sound effects, or even more than one narrator.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
So, BPL got the book lickety split, and I am listening to it. I'm really enjoying this production, sound effects and all! Comparing it in my mind to the movie. It's a fascinating story.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote