Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Those with multiple brands of readers

For those of us who have multiple readers of different brands, when do you chose to read on one brand of reader and when do you read on the other brand? Why have you chosen to buy multiple readers of different brands? This is for people with different brands of readers such as one kindle and one nook or one kobo and one ipad.

I used to have two different brands of readers one is my Kindle three and the other was my employer's Blackberry. I used to read on the blackberry in instances when space was going to be a premium and the kindle when there was more room. However, since then my employer has upgraded my blackberry and amazon no longer supports the newer models of berries so now I have only one. Although I do have the Mobipocket reader working on the berry so I might do that.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I've got a Kindle 3 (husband and son both have k4s) and a Sony 350. I find I use the Sony as a loaner reader, because try as I might, I just don't like touch interfaces.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I mostly use my Galaxy Tab 10.1 now except when reading outside or when I don't have easy access to power. Then I read on my Sony T1. My Vox (7 inch tablet) is used when I've run out of power on the Tab... I use the iPod Touch if I'm out and waiting for something like take-out, doctor's appointment etc because it's always in my purse.
I guess I don't really "need" all these devices but it sure is convenient to have all of them!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I have a 1st gen nook and a kindle 4 (nt). I use my kindle most now because it's much faster (not necessarily in page turn time, but in terms of handing the library and downloading new material), and because the battery life is much longer.

I do read from my iPhone kindle and nook apps, when I'm in situations that it's not practical to use an e-ink reader (including extreme heat/cold, in the dark, and when I only have a pocket to keep something in).
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I love my Kindle Keyboard! In fact I have two! But with the issues I started having when I got over 5000 books in my archive, I was afraid to get the Kindle Touch. So I got a Sony T1 Touch instead. It's great! I would like a Kindle Touch that was as good as my Sony!

As for which to read, it depends on which one the book is on. Also one of my Kindles gets my Calibre news feeds so I am likely to grab that one first. But I love the smaller, lighter size of the Sony, and I like the touch screen+buttons. I like a lot of things about the Sony better!

I have a Fire also but I don't read fiction on it all that much. I like to read the news on it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 650 & an iPad. I read mostly on the 650.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
sandyjunebug
sandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Touch 600
I have a sony 600, a Blackberry playbook and am wondering if I'll have to get others to read books from dedicated sellers.
sandyjunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
For most ebooks I use my rooted Nook Simple Touch - with different apps all common formats are easily read.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I am reading pretty much exclusively on my Kindle Touch and Kindle DX. Now that Calibre is automatically converting the format when it uploads a book, there isn't any good reason for me to concern myself over what ebooks goes on what device. I love my Touch for reading in bed, and I prefer my DX when reading elsewhere.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I do nearly all my reading on my Sony PRS T1. My wife has inherited the Sony 650. I only read on an iPad or Kindle 3 when I'm testing ebooks I've designed, or very rarely when an ebook I want is only available from Amazon and I can't be bothered cleansing it from DRM and converting it.

One of my wife's friends has inherited the ECO Reader, and I no longer use the Cybook.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Kindle 3 - Daytime, especially when outside, and away from home.
Kindle Fire - Evenings or when curled up inside and when away from home in the evening. I have it set up to read Sony books, also.
Sony 505 - works perfectly, but I am using the others more often
Kindle and Nook apps - for the iphone, just getting started on these

I bought the KK3 when it was on sale, but the others were gifts from my son. First the Sony (2008) then the Fire (2011).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #12
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I had a Sony 505 which I liked, but got a Kindle 3 when UK shops stopped selling to people outside the UK and no one else was selling epub books to me for a couple of months either. I haven't read on the Sony since getting the Kindle, as the screen difference really was big enough to make a huge difference.

I don't consider either my iPad or my phone as an ereader and don't read books on either, unless I have to (I've read a few chapters on the phone when travelling, and a couple of footnote-heavy books on the iPad as numerous footnotes are a real pain to deal with on the Kindle 3, but I really don't like to read on it, even with sepia option and the brightness dialled down to as low as I can take it while still being able to read, which is about 50%).
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #13
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I bought my kobo partly just so I'd have a horse in both races - the kindle for mobi and the kobo for ePub. There was also a particular book I was after that was available as ePub and not as mobi, although it is now and I still haven't read it yet.

I pick whichever device has the book I want to read on it. That will mostly be the kindle, for bought content, and the kobo for freebies.

Just recently I was reading short fiction on the kindle and a novel on the kobo. It was useful not to have to switch between books on the device all the time.

I also have an iPod and an iPad which I rarely use for reading. The iPod is handy for emergencies.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I use my iPad for reading graphic novels, and my Kobo Touch for reading text novels and short fiction.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I use my iPod Touch in bed and while on public transit, and I use my iPad while at work or at a coffee shop. The household also has a Kobo Touch, which belongs to the boy---he doesn't mind if I use it, but he has the settings set up in a weird way so I usually don't.

I got rid of my Kindle last month and am a little sorry now. The iPad is a bit heavy for tucking in on the couch with. But I am waiting to see what comes out before year-end; I will either buy a smaller tablet or a new Kindle.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote