Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #166
vmonkey
vmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the release, however, I experience some minor problems.

1) When opening this file (http://ubuntuone.com/2R2FdS6uAqEtnhuCOgOn8V) it opens up blank in this version of KPDF (https://github.com/downloads/houqp/k...er-8ad18f4.zip). I have to rotate the page using K to view at least something. Fitting to width/height crashes my kindle.

2) When opened in the latest official version, the file opens up blank again, however, when using Shift+D or Shift+S then launchpad shows SUCCESS!! and KPDF seems to be exited.
vmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #167
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Congratulations on bringing the new release out.
A very impressive list of changes.

keep it on.
more power to you.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #168
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanc View Post
I finally ditched duokan and saved 1gb thanks to djvu support, and now I have a question: would it be possible to implement continuous pages ? Duokan did this by default while using Fit to width and it's useful when reading. I guess next page caching should be implemented first, but after that maybe ?
I'm about to.
And with the proper annotation / highlighting support for both pdf and djvu files, it will rock you.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #169
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
Thanks for the release, however, I experience some minor problems. [...]
I just fixed the issue in the code. Thank you for the report.
That bug probably affected all pages in PDFs that specified a page-specific rotation. The handling of such cases changed in muPDF, we hadn't adopted to it yet.

It might still be a few days until we settle on a new release.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #170
Germanc
Germanc is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Cbz was always in mupdf ? That's great ! I'm sure that'll come handy when reading manga
Germanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #171
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It's reasonably new and wasn't there some time ago :-) But since it is there now and the document interface is fully abstracted, kindlepdfviewer will now read PDF, DJVU, XPS and CBZ. The code is already checked into the repository, as is support for entering passwords for PDFs. So encrypted PDFs will be possible in next release, too. Plus it won't silently crash on broken documents anymore, although there will be probably some corner cases left.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #172
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
It's reasonably new and wasn't there some time ago :-) But since it is there now and the document interface is fully abstracted, kindlepdfviewer will now read PDF, DJVU, XPS and CBZ. The code is already checked into the repository, as is support for entering passwords for PDFs. So encrypted PDFs will be possible in next release, too. Plus it won't silently crash on broken documents anymore, although there will be probably some corner cases left.
wow, so many great changes
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #173
vmonkey
vmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I just fixed the issue in the code. Thank you for the report.
That bug probably affected all pages in PDFs that specified a page-specific rotation. The handling of such cases changed in muPDF, we hadn't adopted to it yet.
It might still be a few days until we settle on a new release.
Wow, that was really fast, thanks!
vmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:46 AM   #174
vdp
Enthusiast
vdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle DXG
Hi,
haven't been around for some time, but yesterday had the chance to try the latest binary of kpdfviewer on my DXG and the progress is remarkable. Thanks to all developers working on this!
It seems to work very well for 2-column docs already. Is the landscape mode (90 degrees rotation) compatible with the different zoom modes? Haven't tested this extensively, but when I tried to zoom to content width when in landscape it messed up the frame buffer so badly, that I had to restart the device in order to fix it.
vdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #175
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdp View Post
Hi,
haven't been around for some time, but yesterday had the chance to try the latest binary of kpdfviewer on my DXG and the progress is remarkable. Thanks to all developers working on this!
It seems to work very well for 2-column docs already. Is the landscape mode (90 degrees rotation) compatible with the different zoom modes? Haven't tested this extensively, but when I tried to zoom to content width when in landscape it messed up the frame buffer so badly, that I had to restart the device in order to fix it.
Did you use the landscape support from the native system or kpdfviewer? The landscape mode provided by kpdfviewer should be compatible with different zoom mode (at least for my k3).

Currently, the 90 degree rotation in kpdfview is achieved with a low-level approach, which is much faster but the drawback is the native system will not be able to poll the changes. That is to say, if you were in portrait mode before going into kpdfviewer and changed to landscape mode while reading, the native system will not notice the changes and when it tries to update the screen, the screen will mess up.

So we saved the screen rotation mode on kpdfviewer start and restore it after kpdfviewer exit to avoid the screen mess. This works for my K3 (except for screen saver), however if you use the auto screen rotate in DXG, it may cause issues (I don't have a DXG to test with ;-P).
Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #176
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
Thanks very much for the new release which I think has almost all the features one would want.
I really would like to start to help the programming world. I have had a small introduction into C# when I was doing EE. But my knowledge is not enough to count myself as an amateur programmer. I really would like to request from one of you guys here to explain in details what I need beforehand in order to start programming something that makes sense.
A point to note, being of an engineering background I have written apps like the Durand Kerner algorithm for solving n degree polynomials, writing simple typing games, a little intro into database (SQL) programming.
I also have a very basic knowledge in C.

Please take my request seriously. I want to start from now moving into the right path and maybe a year from now I'll be ready.
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #177
vdp
Enthusiast
vdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
Did you use the landscape support from the native system or kpdfviewer? The landscape mode provided by kpdfviewer should be compatible with different zoom mode (at least for my k3).

Currently, the 90 degree rotation in kpdfview is achieved with a low-level approach, which is much faster but the drawback is the native system will not be able to poll the changes. That is to say, if you were in portrait mode before going into kpdfviewer and changed to landscape mode while reading, the native system will not notice the changes and when it tries to update the screen, the screen will mess up.

So we saved the screen rotation mode on kpdfviewer start and restore it after kpdfviewer exit to avoid the screen mess. This works for my K3 (except for screen saver), however if you use the auto screen rotate in DXG, it may cause issues (I don't have a DXG to test with ;-P).
Thank you for the explanation!
I couldn't reproduce the problem now. Most likely it was caused by a conflict between the native system and kpdfview as you say. Probably the native orientation was set to auto and it messed up the screen after the device was rotated or something like that. I still have to get used to the key combinations, but the viewer looks very good so far. Some docs that I couldn't previously read comfortably due to too small fonts are now accessible.
Awesome!
vdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #178
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwatt View Post
Thanks very much for the new release which I think has almost all the features one would want.
Except for annotaion, which we are working on now ;-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwatt View Post
I really would like to start to help the programming world. I have had a small introduction into C# when I was doing EE. But my knowledge is not enough to count myself as an amateur programmer. I really would like to request from one of you guys here to explain in details what I need beforehand in order to start programming something that makes sense.
A point to note, being of an engineering background I have written apps like the Durand Kerner algorithm for solving n degree polynomials, writing simple typing games, a little intro into database (SQL) programming.
I also have a very basic knowledge in C.

Please take my request seriously. I want to start from now moving into the right path and maybe a year from now I'll be ready.
It's great to know that you want to help out and make kindlepdfviewer better

Since you already learned programming before, I recommand you get start with Lua with this book: http://www.lua.org/pil/. It has a free online version for the first edition or you can buy a `deadwood` second edition to support the community :P. If you have problems, you can seek help from the IRC channel of Lua language (#lua), people there are very helpful.

A large part of kindlepdfviewer is written in Lua thus you can basically add lots of cool features without touching C code and cross compile. Just edit those lua script and you will have a customed kindlepdfviewer. When you are learning Lua, you can start hacking kindlepdfviewer at the same time. It is more fun than just reading books And I guess the `filechooser.lua` might be the script you want to look at first, it is not as complicate as `unireader.lua`, but still covers most of kindlepdfviewer's UI and control logic.

Good Luck with your hacking
Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #179
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdp View Post
Thank you for the explanation!
I couldn't reproduce the problem now. Most likely it was caused by a conflict between the native system and kpdfview as you say. Probably the native orientation was set to auto and it messed up the screen after the device was rotated or something like that. I still have to get used to the key combinations, but the viewer looks very good so far. Some docs that I couldn't previously read comfortably due to too small fonts are now accessible.
Awesome!
I think this will be fixed in the near future. Currently, I recommend turn off auto screen rotate in DXG when using kindlepdfviewer.

traycold just added a new key event hanlding implementation and a help page for all the shorcuts. These will be added in next release so we don't need to memorize all these shorcuts. Also with the new implementation, we can easily add a configurable shorcut setting menu

Ah, just one more news for DXG users. Thanks to hawill and traycold, we can now control the memory usage of MuPDF, so I am allmost certain that there will be no more reboot in DXG when reading pdf documents with heavy images in next release.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #180
Oleksa
Oleksa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3+3g
Great Thanks for your work! I was registered in mobileread for this topic
It's really fast and very perspective. Pageturning in the one of my djvu files faster than Duokan in 3-4 times. Sorry, but I readed forum thread to 7-th page only.
I downloaded version 7b120b0.

Bugs:
In file manager not works left pageturnings bottoms
In reader it's not respond for z or ^z pressing

Issues:
Please add help menu for shortcuts, for example - pressing 'h' (Ups, I don't read previous post ). By the way in shortcuts it's hard to understand that manual zooming shift or alt >,< is pageturning bootoms not joystick, please make note for it.

It will be great, if you make three-column mode, because this function isn't present in Duokan.

Going to page mode. It'll be useful to going begin or end of book after writing 'b' or 'e' in page number line (It's possible to use other characters for other functions). Please add picture which digits corresponds to which keys (like in Duokan, but each digit is opposite to corresponding real (not drawn) key). Please, add decreasing and increasing of pagenumber in line after pressing and/or hold of up,down bottoms of fiveway joystick (like in fbreader)

Main issue is normal pageturning in modes that differs from vertical one page mode (2-column). Now pageDn pressing leads to move to next page regardless to present mode. It's very uncomfortable in horizontal orientation and 2-column mode. Issue is that pageDn pressing leads to move to next text piece not to next page (like in Duokan).

Thanks!

Last edited by Oleksa; 03-26-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: I saw realization of one of my issues in previous post and upgrade
Oleksa is offline   Reply With Quote