Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
dakins
dakins began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Problems with IPad Air / iOS 8.1.1

Is it possible to use calibre 2.x with iOS 8.1.x to push books to the Kindle app?

Here's my story. At one point in time calibre recognized my iPad Air and I sideloaded all my books over to the Kindle app. That was a while ago and I don't remember if it was on a pre-v2 version of calibre, or if I was on iOS7 at the time, etc. More recently I wanted to try to get better synchronization between my devices so I wanted to try the [EBOK] thing, which I did and got loaded onto my Kindle Paperwhite no problem. When I went to reload all my books onto my iPad though, I ran into issues. I did a whole bunch of searches trying to fix this, but nothing worked.

Here are the things I tried. My question is - is this even possible with iOS 8.1.1, or am I doing something wrong? If it's not possible - how long until it is?

I use a Mac as my main computer. With that I had the latest version of calibre installed. I tried....
  • installing the latest iOS Reader Applications plugin from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=342 - that didn't work and failed with a pyqt4 error which I couldn't find a resolution to.
  • uninstalled that plugin (which I think is 1.4.4.0.1) and installed the version presented in the app (which is 1.4.4) but ended up with the same error
  • read somewhere in the forums that this wasn't possible in version 2x of calibre, so I uninstalled it and installed v1.48
  • tried both plugins on 1.48. I don't think I got the same error as above, but when I plugged my device in I wasn't prompted to trust it, and got an error message from calibre saying device not recognized and the plugin gets automatically deleted.

I also have calibre portable installed on a external drive which I plugged into a Windows PC and tried the same plugins as above, both on the latest versions of calibre and on 1.48. The closest I got was on version 1.48 or calibre with version 1.4.4.0.1 of the plugin - I get nothing. The iPad doesn't show up in calibre, but I also don't get an error message - so that's the closest I got.

Any thoughts?
dakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
dakins

Update - I can get the plugin (v 1.4.4.0.1) to work in the latest version of calibre (2.12) without the PyQt4 error on Windows. But it still is not recognizing my device. I tried plugging my iPad in while calibre was running, and nothing. I also tried plugging my iPad in first and then running calibre and still nothing.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
dakins

I finally got it to work on my Mac OS clearing some things out.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
bookdaddy
bookdaddy began at the beginning.

Device: none
How did you get it to work? Can you give me details of versions: calibre, osx, ios, plugins?

I'm having no luck getting Calibre to see my iPad Air.

OSX 10.10.1
Calibre 2.12
iOS 8.1
ios reader plugin 1.4.4
Marvin XD 1.2.4

Any help is greatly appreciated. BD
bookdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Do you have the iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 3? If so, you will need my update of the plugin.
Install the latest version of the plugin here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=342

Do you get a pyqt4 error?
Go to Preferences ==> Miscellaneous in calibre and click Open configuration directory. That will get you to the calibre configuration folder, open the "plugins folder" and delete anything anything with "ios" or "marvin" in the name.
(These may have remnants from calibre 1.x in them, which gets you the pyqt4 error.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:07 AM   #6
dakins

Fixing

As eschwartz mentioned, I was trying to use the latest version of the plugin he linked to, but my hang up was that py4 error. Being new to Mac, I didn't know where to clear out the old plugin remnants, but once I found it and did, and reinstalled the plugin - it worked like a charm.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:07 PM   #7
ChrisNunz
ChrisNunz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Do you have the iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 3? If so, you will need my update of the plugin.
Install the latest version of the plugin here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=342

Do you get a pyqt4 error?
Go to Preferences ==> Miscellaneous in calibre and click Open configuration directory. That will get you to the calibre configuration folder, open the "plugins folder" and delete anything anything with "ios" or "marvin" in the name.
(These may have remnants from calibre 1.x in them, which gets you the pyqt4 error.)
Is there anything that I need to do to get Calibre to recognize and sync with my iPhone 6 Plus?
ChrisNunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did that ^^ not work for you?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #9
ChrisNunz

Quote:
Did that ^^ not work for you?
Hi! I tried to clear all the Marvin/iOS files in the Preferences with no luck, but how exactly do I install that plugin you linked to into calibre?

OS X Yosemite if that helps, thank you!
Old 12-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, the iPhone should already have USB IDs in the main plugin.
As I said above, the linked plugin is only necessary if you have an Air 2 or Mini.

What issue do you have, is there a pyqt4 error or some other error?
Old 12-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
ChrisNunz

Quote:
Well, the iPhone should already have USB IDs in the main plugin.
As I said above, the linked plugin is only necessary if you have an Air 2 or Mini.

What issue do you have, is there a pyqt4 error or some other error?
Ohhh, okay. I don't mean the hijack this thread, but my issue is that connecting my iPhone 6 Plus via USB to my Mac does nothing when I have Calibre open. Months ago it would connect after a few seconds and then do a library scan or something, the Marvin button would show up in the toolbar, etc. I have 231 books in Marvin right now and a lot more in Calibre.

So basically, I'm just trying to be able to sync between Marvin and Calibre again via USB, but I haven't tried in months, probably since June or so because I never had to add books since then. The version of Calibre is constantly changing so in those few months I really don't know how many versions I skipped and what changed with the interaction between Marvin and Calibre.

Thank you!
Old 12-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Nothing particular should've changed... just make sure you have the very latest version of everything.

Assuming the configuration is good, because you had it working before... I am not sure what the problem might be.

Sadly, I have very little practical troubleshooting experience, because I do not have an iDevice and have never used this plugin myself...

The iOS reader applications thread offers the following guidance:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
If you have problems:
I'm having problems installing or updating the plugin
  • Disconnect all iDevices from your computer before installing or updating the plugin.
Calibre crashes when I am using this plugin
  • Create an issue at the iOS reader applications issue tracker, including the type of iDevice, its generation, and the cellular provider (or cellular modem type). For example, "iPad 4th generation, GSM" or "iPhone 5S, Verizon", and the iOS reader application you're connecting to (e.g. iBooks, GoodReader, Kindle, Marvin).
  • Create a debug log by following the directions at the plugin's issue tracker.
  • Add the debug log to your issue report. I will receive an email when the issue is created or modified, you don't need to create a reply in this forum.
My iDevice is not recognized by calibre.
Try each of the the following steps to see if they allow your iDevice to be visible in calibre's main toolbar:
  • Review the steps to select your preferred iOS reader application in Configuring your preferred iOS reader application above.
  • Confirm that you have a single iDevice physically connected to your computer while using calibre. In other words, disconnect any other reader devices like a Kindle that calibre might connect to, and any other iDevices connected to your computer via USB (like an iPhone).
  • Exit calibre, physically disconnect your iDevice.
  • Reconnect your iDevice, restart calibre.
  • If you see a chevron (») at the right end of the calibre toolbar, you have additional icons that can't be displayed at your current window width. Click the chevron to see the rest of the icons. To adjust the order of the toolbar icons, go to Preferences|Interface|Toolbar The main toolbar when a device is connected.
  • (OS X and Windows) Confirm that iTunes is installed on your computer and up to date, and that your iDevice shows as the only connected device in iTunes.
  • Confirm that Sync with this iPad over Wi-Fi is disabled in iTunes.
  • Try another USB cable.
  • Disconnect your iDevice, then do a hard reset on your iDevice by holding the Home and Power buttons at the same time time until you see the Apple logo, then release the buttons, then try again.
  • If you are using Marvin, confirm that you have only one version of Marvin installed on your iDevice. For example, if you upgraded from Marvin for iPad to Marvin universal, remove the older Marvin for iPad.
My iDevice is still not recognized by calibre.
  • Start calibre with your iDevice connected.
  • Open Preferences|Advanced|Miscellaneous.
  • Click Debug device detection.
  • Copy the results to your clipboard.
  • Close the Preferences dialog.
  • Create an issue at the iOS reader applications issue tracker, including the type of iDevice, its generation, and the cellular provider (or cellular modem type). For example, "iPad 4th generation, GSM" or "iPhone 5S, Verizon".
  • Paste the contents of the clipboard into a new comment in your issue.
  • It is not necessary to add a post here when creating an issue. I will receive an email when GitHub issues are created or updated.
Ask further questions there, for more visibility and to keep everything together.

Tags
ios, ios reader applications, kindle app for ios