Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 07-27-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
itssudipok
itssudipok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White 11th Gen
Difficulties with calibre news recipe to detect elements within angularjs

While preparing a customized news recipe for a website, I am not able to pick up the necessary elements such as the images, articles and so on. This happens with all elements with class 'ng-binding' or similar things.

However, the elements on the same page e.g., the main title with logo without this angularjs specifier, are being downloaded at ease.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
itssudipok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:55 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
those are probably loaded dynamically using javascript. Typically the data will be present embedded on the page as JSON, from where you can extract it, or you will need to use developer tools in a browser to detect what XHR requests are being made to load the data and send them in the recipe.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
itssudipok
itssudipok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White 11th Gen
Thank you very much for your response!
I tried to follow your suggestions with whatever little knowledge I have, and it works well to some extent.

But I want to do the following:

1. I need the images related to the articles, which is not there right now. Like your 'The Hindu' recipe, I would like to place all the images at the beginning of the articles.

2. The articles show all the 'p' tags with 'span', which is understandable because I am directly feeding the XHR requests. I want to get rid of this.

3. I want to have more control on the json structure, I have no experience working with this. I tried to clean up things using 'remove_tags' and 'keep_only_tags', but got no luck yet.

4. And most importantly, I would like to know whether the whole process of getting the XHR links can be automated through the recipe itself or not.

You may also suggest some references, I would love to spend some time on this.

Thanks!
itssudipok is offline   Reply With Quote