Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2022, 11:41 AM   #1
my_kindleproblem
my_kindleproblem began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Kindle 4 can't factory restore, can't remove books, can't add new books

So here is the issue I am having. I would really appreciate it if someone can give me some advice.

I have a working Kindle 4 device. I have several books on it and can read them without problems. However, I wanted to delete a book and although it was removed from the device and the book count in the upper left corner indicated that the book is no longer on the device after the Kindle was restarted the book is re-appeared. If I delete the book from the Kindle while it is connected to a PC it shows that the book is no longer available. But if I unplug the device and plug it again the book shows up as it was never removed.

When I upload a book or file I have the same problem. I uploaded a new pdf file from the PC and safely removed the device. The pdf shows right away on the Kindle. However, if I reset the device the pdf file is no longer there.

I had tried to factory reset the device from the Settings. It did nothing. All the files were there. I created a DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file uploaded it on the device and restart the Kindle. It did nothing. Again the files were there. Tried to manually update the firmware of the device. Downloaded the file from Amazon website uploaded it on the device and when disconnected the device try to install it from Settings>Update Your Kindle. It showed as grey several times. One time, it was actually active and I managed to install the update however after the reset it showed that the firmware version is 4.1.1 and it just supposedly installed v. 4.1.2

Tried to jailbreak the Kindle as per these instructions here - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin...king#Jailbreak. But after the reset, the device didn't start in diagnostic mode. And when I connected the Kindle to the PC the files I previously copied in the root folder weren't there.

I read a lot of resources but I didn't find an issue like this one before. Did someone have this problem with his/ hers Kindle? Did you manage to resolve it and how? Is it even possible to be fixed or maybe I shouldn't bother anymore?

P.S. Few years back my wife's Kindle (again Kindle 4) had a similar issue. But after performing a factory reset everything was good once again. And I was hoping that this would work here as well.
my_kindleproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Sounds like the flash memory has degraded. If so, it is time for a new device.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2022, 05:07 AM   #3
my_kindleproblem
my_kindleproblem began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
I see. Well, thank you for the response @j.p.s
my_kindleproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:33 AM   #4
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
If you are going to repair it, write down all serial numbers of the reader (idme command in uboot) as soon as possible. If the memory stops working completely you cannot repair it without them.
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote