Notices

Old 12-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
Hercules67
Hercules67 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
HELP! I moved my Calibre Library w/o moving it

Here's what I mean:

First, some background:
I previously moved my Calibre Library from an old computer to a new computer. I had ZERO problems doing this.

But, because I wasn't paying attention, my Windows install was on a 256GB SSD and I needed to move ALL DATA except the install to the 1.0TB data drive.

So what I did: I moved my USERS/APPDATA Folder from C:\ to D:\.

How do I make Calibre recognize the new location without having "MOVED IT" the proper way?

If anyone can help, I appreciate it.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See Environment Variables

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2021, 05:40 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Since D: is a local drive

Right click the Library Icon (in Calibre): Create/Switch: use existing:just point it to the new location<D: ....>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #4
Hercules67

SO, I had created a number of Virtual Libraries.

How do I get those back?
Old 12-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
Hercules67

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Since D: is a local drive

Right click the Library Icon (in Calibre): Create/Switch: use existing:just point it to the new location<D: ....>
All last night and this morning this ?WAS NOT working and then suddenly it worked. Thanks.

I am not sure if it's because I just installed the Calibre update.
Advert
Old 12-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #6
Hercules67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
SO, I had created a number of Virtual Libraries.

How do I get those back?
I suspect it's matter of settings somewhere, because even my downloaded plugins are missing.

Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You must have done way more that move the Library.
Plugins are part of the Configuration (folder)

It may be that just the Tabs are not showing. Have you clicked on the Virtual Library button?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #8
Hercules67

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You must have done way more that move the Library.
Plugins are part of the Configuration (folder)

It may be that just the Tabs are not showing. Have you clicked on the Virtual Library button?
Where are the settings? (What folder?)

I moved the library and the USER/APPDATA folder.
Old 12-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Settings in calibre are in two places: the library database and the configuration folder. The database is in the library. The configuration folder is normally in appdata but can be moved using an environment variable (I do this).

Check where calibre thinks your configuration folder is located by starting calibre, going to Preferences / Miscellaneous and clicking on Open calibre configuration folder. Make sure that the folder that opens is where you expect it to be. If it is not then change the environment variable CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY to tell calibre where it is.

If it is where you think it should be but your plugins are not in plugins subfolder then you should copy the previous configuration folder into the current one.

Note that the timestamp of some files such as gui.json will change every time you run calibre. If this is not happening in what you believe to be calibre's folder then you and calibre disagree about its location.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:06 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also you might want to double check that windows has updated it's environment variables to reflect the new location of appdata. At a minimum APPDATA and LOCALAPPDATA might need to be updated

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:14 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Most people wouldn't have shell folder paths defined environment variables.

Programs should get the values from the HKCU\... \Explorer\User Shell Folders registry key… I've never seen a program that doesn't, but there's bound to be some. If they're replicated in Environment Variables then something will have to keep them in synch.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:47 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Most people wouldn't have shell folder paths defined environment variables.

Programs should get the values from the HKCU\... \Explorer\User Shell Folders registry key… I've never seen a program that doesn't, but there's bound to be some. If they're replicated in Environment Variables then something will have to keep them in synch.

BR
FWIW: A few years ago when running Windows 7 I tried to move my user folder from C: for the same reason as the OP, a new small SSD. It seemed to work but I kept running into glitches. I eventually abandoned moving the total folder and instead moved the large components such as Documents, Pictures, and my calibre library. Moving the components was easy and worked, and the glitches stopped.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:23 PM   #13
Hercules67

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
FWIW: A few years ago when running Windows 7 I tried to move my user folder from C: for the same reason as the OP, a new small SSD. It seemed to work but I kept running into glitches. I eventually abandoned moving the total folder and instead moved the large components such as Documents, Pictures, and my calibre library. Moving the components was easy and worked, and the glitches stopped.
Strangely, Calibre decided to reinstall settings in the LOCAL/APPDATA folder in C: and everything started working perfectly again after that.

I didn't do anything. Oh well. Thanks for the help.