Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-22-2021, 12:00 AM   #1
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Keyboard navigation in Calibre: go to top or end of index?

It's possible I'm missing the obvious, but there's something I can't find, and it doesn't appear to be in Calibre Help.

When I'm in Calibre's main screen, cursor movement keys do as I expect. Up and Down arrow keys and Page Up and Page Down keys move the cursor by row or by the page length of the part of the library displayed on screen.

What I'm looking for is a keyboard combination that will take me to the first or last row of the complete index.

I have many thousands of volumes indexed in Calibre. Do that, and you accumulate duplicates. I have, and it was time for house cleaning. A plugin called Find Duplicates is just the thing. But there are more dupes than I wish to deal with in one sitting, so it's a gradual process. Find and remove a batch of dupes, then end the plugin action. When the plugin exits, my cursor is always left on the last index row, which is tens of thousands of lines from where I want it to be. Getting it back to the top is a PITA.

(My default view is most re4cently added books first It would be nice if the plugin restored the screen I had before invoking it, but I don't know if that's a function it could call from Calibre.)

Are there "Go to first/last row of the index" keyboard combinations?" Things that perform similar functio9ns in various text editors, like Ctrl, Alt or Shift Home and End keys don't appear to do anything in Calibre. (Or not consistently, at least. I did get Ctrl-Home to take me to first line of the Index once or twice, but whether it worked depended on how far down I was in the index list, and I wasn't keeping track of where it stopped working.)

Exiting and restarting Calibre seems to work, but i'd just as soon not have to.

Thanks in advance,
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:15 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
ctrl+home and ctrl+end take you to the first and last row always.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:13 AM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's what I expected to be the case, but it wasn't working for me consistently.

I just tried it and it worked. It did not before. There may be an oddity on my setup.

In any case, thank you.
______
Dennis
Old 06-22-2021, 02:54 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@DMcCunney - might you have used the Home and End keys on a numpad with Numlock down? I have a wireless keyboard gathering dust on a shelf because it has no tell-tales for the Num and Caps lock keys. Drove me nuts for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
. . .

When the plugin exits, my cursor is always left on the last index row, which is tens of thousands of lines from where I want it to be. Getting it back to the top is a PITA.

(My default view is most re4cently added books first It would be nice if the plugin restored the screen I had before invoking it, but I don't know if that's a function it could call from Calibre.)
Have a look at the View Manager plugin, you can define, save, and select column sort order/column layout combinations, and it has a Re-Apply current view action which can have a keyboard shortcut - I've given it Ctrl+Alt+R.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-22-2021 at 02:58 AM. Reason: first word typo :)
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@DMcCunney - might you have used the Home and End keys on a numpad with Numlock down? I have a wireless keyboard gathering dust on a shelf because it has no tell-tales for the Num and Caps lock keys. Drove me nuts for a while.
Nope. New keyboard, with illuminated keys. I've never used the numeric keypad, though I do have an LED indicator to let me know if NumLock is engaged,

(Come to think of it, I've almost never used the numeric keypad, period. I don't do enough spreadsheet work to make it of value to me.)

Quote:
Have a look at the View Manager plugin, you can define, save, and select column sort order/column layout combinations, and it has a Re-Apply current view action which can have a keyboard shortcut - I've given it Ctrl+Alt+R.
That sounds like just the thing. I will.; Thank you!
______
Dennis
Old 06-22-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Thank you for the information (and it might be nice if this was in Calibre Help.)

But I still have the problem. In default Calibre view, Ctrl-Home/Ctrl-End do as expected.

When the exiting plugin leaves my cursor on the last line of the index, Ctrl-Home doesn't move it.

I think it's related to the number of lines in the index, and I'll play a bit to see if I can find where it stops working as documented.

Meanwhile, BetterRed's plugin suggestion sounds like a good addition.
______
Dennis
Old 06-22-2021, 06:20 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Thank you for the information (and it might be nice if this was in Calibre Help.)

But I still have the problem. In default Calibre view, Ctrl-Home/Ctrl-End do as expected.

When the exiting plugin leaves my cursor on the last line of the index, Ctrl-Home doesn't move it.

I think it's related to the number of lines in the index, and I'll play a bit to see if I can find where it stops working as documented.
I suspect it's related to the Find Duplicates plugin. The original developer has retired, but capink has taken it under his wing. If you drop a link to this thread in the FD plugin thread I am sure he'll respond - he posted new version yesterday.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:27 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Presuably the book list doesnt have keyboard focus, click inside it first.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:49 PM   #9
laneelmwood
laneelmwood began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3
Keyboard navigation in Calibre on Mac: go to top or end of index?

Quote:
What would be the equivalent on a Mac?

ctrl+fn+left_arrow jumps to the beginning of a row.

ctrl+cmd+up_arrow moves up one row (moving the view, but without changing the selected row).
laneelmwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:33 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

should be cmd+home and cmd+end iirc
Old 01-10-2022, 02:32 PM   #11
laneelmwood
laneelmwood began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3
Thank you, that works! For any Mac users who've forgotten home/end equivalents:

cmd+fn+left_arrow and cmd+fn+right_arrow jump to the top and bottom row.

For some unknown reason I can't remap these shortcuts via Karabiner, but they're short enough as is, not a big deal. Thanks again!
laneelmwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:03 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneelmwood View Post

For some unknown reason I can't remap these shortcuts via Karabiner, but they're short enough as is, not a big deal. Thanks again!
That is probably because they apply to the Native OS navigation as well.
(Ive been using the same navigation keystrokes since DOS(4) )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote