Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-03-2022, 01:05 AM   #1
PAL_Thailand
PAL_Thailand began at the beginning.

Device: Sumatra PDF
Question about Calibre e-book from Thailand

Sawatdee Khrap! ((That's how our Thai greeting sounds!))

I'm happy to have found this site as I'm an old chap with lots of time on my hands. I've found over the years that reading is so envigorating, I forget to take my outdoors morning walk around the small lake in front of my cottage!

I'm also somewhat addicted to the older versions of Microsoft's operating systems. My favorite is really WIN XP SP3, but I also have a second laptop that has Windows 7 which doesn't get much use frankly. On top of that, I really enjoy the freedom that Linux distros offer.

I was visiting a young friend who had lots of e-books to share, but what amazed me was the program "Calibre e-book management" that seems to 'translate' or rather convert e-books from one format to another at the blink of an eye!

I'm wondering if there are any participants of MobileRead who might advise me if some of the earliier versions of Calibre would work on my WIN XP laptop.

I'm looking forward to other users' views and comments.

Regards,
PAL in Thailand
PAL_Thailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:09 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Hello and welcome to MobileRead!

The last version of Calibre which is guaranteed to work on Windows XP is 1.48. You can download it from here:
https://download.calibre-ebook.com/1.48.0/

Be aware that this version is pretty ancient and so may not have all the features the newer versions have.

The last version for Windows 7 is 3.48:
https://download.calibre-ebook.com/3.48.0/

If you use Linux, you can download and install a newer Calibre version:
https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

Last edited by Sirtel; 01-03-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
PAL_Thailand
PAL_Thailand began at the beginning.

Device: Sumatra PDF
Question about Calibre e-book from Thailand

Hello, Grand Sorcerer Sirtel!

Many thanks for the suggestions you have made. I will get Calibre 1.48.0 - even though it may not have all the latest bells and whistles; my needs are basic not NASA-related.

I also intend to get the version that suits Linux but I need to check on some details regarding its installation on my dual boot HP-Mini first. I seem to recall that it requires Python 3 to work properly on Linux. I will check with the Englishman who helped me create my dual boot system on how to proceed for putting Calibre on my dual boot system.

Thanks for your help and best wishes for the New Year!

PAL in Thailand
PAL_Thailand is offline   Reply With Quote