Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Zac
Zac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
No Blue Light after 3 hours

I have charged my Kobo on about three different occassions. The red light stays on while charging, but never has the blue light even after about 4 hours of charging.

The Kobo is then fully charged and stays charged for a long time. I have never had the Kobo fully discharge. Anyone else with this situation?
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
What software version is on your kobo?
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Seems that every reader behaves differently. No two same stories.
Regarding blue light, if works fine, I'd ignore it so far.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:53 AM   #4
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
How are you charging it? VIa a USB port on a computer? A USB hub - powered or not? Via an AC wallwart device? And do you know what the mAH rating is for whatever charger you are using?
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

What version of the firmware are you running?
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
zero10
zero10 began at the beginning.

Sometimes my Kobo will take up to 12 hours before the blue light comes on. I usually just leave it on the charger overnight.

I have noticed that when I plug it into my computer it only reports as a 100mA device, so if it is drawing more power than that the people at Kobo need to correct this since mis-reporting USB devices are a very bad idea, but I also suspect that there is a power profile under which it only draws 100mA, and when using that profile it can take up to 12 hours to charge.
zero10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I charged my Kobo last night via my HP PDA AC charger USB adapter. The charge light stayed red for the whole time it was charging. After three hours I disconnected and verified the charge in the battery was at capacity.

My Kobo is still original firmware which maybe what your Kobo may well be.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
1.4 made a huge difference in the behaviour of the light.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
Zac
Zac began at the beginning.

Thanks all for your responses. Here are my responses to your questions. Sorry for not responding earlier, I only got email notification today that there were responses to the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
What software version is on your kobo?
1.4 Revision 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
How are you charging it? VIa a USB port on a computer? A USB hub - powered or not? Via an AC wallwart device? And do you know what the mAH rating is for whatever charger you are using?
USB on my Compaq laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero10 View Post
Sometimes my Kobo will take up to 12 hours before the blue light comes on. I usually just leave it on the charger overnight.

I have noticed that when I plug it into my computer it only reports as a 100mA device, so if it is drawing more power than that the people at Kobo need to correct this since mis-reporting USB devices are a very bad idea, but I also suspect that there is a power profile under which it only draws 100mA, and when using that profile it can take up to 12 hours to charge.
I haven't tried charging for 12 hours. How do you determine what mA my USB port on my laptop is providing? Can the unit be overcharged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
1.4 made a huge difference in the behaviour of the light.
No Change since upgrading.
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... USB on my Compaq laptop ...

That may not be putting out much amperage. Do you have any of the 500-700mAH AC wall warts that accommodate USB cords to charge your Kobo?
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Check the power settings on your laptop. It is quite likely that the USB port your Kobo was plugged into had powered down as part of the laptop's power saving cycle. This will either discharge the Kobo's battery or ensure it takes a long time to charge completely.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
This happened to me once (since the upgrade). Since I quit thinking about battery level, colours of lights, etc. and just started plugging my instrument in every once in a while, for a while, I've found inner peace significantly more accessible.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
This happened to me once (since the upgrade). Since I quit thinking about battery level, colours of lights, etc. and just started plugging my instrument in every once in a while, for a while, I've found inner peace significantly more accessible.
This has to be "sticky"!
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:18 AM   #14
wintermute000
wintermute000 began at the beginning.

Anyone getting significantly below 8000 turns?

I'm barely making it to 1000 before its at 1/4, enough to read two books but disappointing considering I'm not even getting to half way.

Mind you I haven't let it run down fully since I upgraded to 1.4 and I've read some people saying it runs down real quickly to 1/3rd or 1/4th but then survives for ages on it.
wintermute000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #15
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute000 View Post
Anyone getting significantly below 8000 turns?

I'm barely making it to 1000 before its at 1/4, enough to read two books but disappointing considering I'm not even getting to half way.

Mind you I haven't let it run down fully since I upgraded to 1.4 and I've read some people saying it runs down real quickly to 1/3rd or 1/4th but then survives for ages on it.
Read the sticky thread "[Firmware 1.4] How many page turns are you getting". The battery gauge is very non-linear and your kobo will go on for many, many more page turns.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote