Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #271
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Well --- as of today, I am a gleeful iPad owner and convert.

I was wandering around Dick Smiths in the city and they had them on display. One look at that screen with an ebook on it - wow!

Initially I was concerned about comments about how users are locked into Apple iBooks. But I've now got my new toy at home and I'm busy shovelling my collection of pdf's and epubs onto it. I bought the Goodreader app for a couple of dollars. That displays my pdfs beautifully. The already installed iBook app does a great job on my epubs.

I've got a gazillion ebooks in epub and pdf already on my computer - I'll never have to darken the electronic door of the Apple bookstore.

The iPad is expensive, but I'll get the GST back when I go overseas next week.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #272
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
A netbook screen is definitely not the same quality as the screens used in an iPad. The screens on netbooks tend to be cheap LCDs with lousy resolution. There is also the slight problem that they don't do portrait mode well.
What is iPad's resolution? On my netbook is 1024x600. My friend's HP has higher resolution but everything is too small to read comfortable.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #273
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just cannot let is pass unnoticed

Old 06-09-2010, 06:06 AM   #274
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
What is iPad's resolution? On my netbook is 1024x600. My friend's HP has higher resolution but everything is too small to read comfortable.
The iPad is 1024x768.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #275
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It's being an IPS screen that makes the iPad so nice. Its just much clearer than other LCD screens--just like those big IPS MAC monitors.

Also, resolution isn't tied to font size. It is on a PC etc. for the icons and dialog box fonts as you don't have a lot of options there--just regular or large font for the most part, and large can still be a tad small on high resolution settings.

But the default font sizes for icons etc. on the iPad is pretty big, and of course in e-book apps you can increase font size yourself easily etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #276
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
It's being an IPS screen that makes the iPad so nice. Its just much clearer than other LCD screens--just like those big IPS MAC monitors.
IPS is nice. My home monitor is IPS. Much better colour and view angle.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #277
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Resolution is not everything. You can have a high res screen but it's still a crummy display because a lot more goes into a good LCD than just resolution. Go to a store and look at LCD tvs. A $400 LCD does not have nearly as good an image as a similar sized $2000 LCD.

It's like the megapixel myth. People think 8 megapixels is better than 5 when the quality of the entire package is what gives a good image.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #278
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Resolution is not everything. You can have a high res screen but it's still a crummy display because a lot more goes into a good LCD than just resolution. Go to a store and look at LCD tvs. A $400 LCD does not have nearly as good an image as a similar sized $2000 LCD.

It's like the megapixel myth. People think 8 megapixels is better than 5 when the quality of the entire package is what gives a good image.
I know about it.
I asked the question because:
Quote:
A netbook screen is definitely not the same quality as the screens used in an iPad. The screens on netbooks tend to be cheap LCDs with lousy resolution.
you brought resolution into the equation.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #279
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
19 pages, yet no one mentioned the coming reading experience apple machines will be giving you next week?
With the new ios4 launch, a new version of iBooks will be available. You'd be able to seamlessly read your books throughout the day on different devices.

I was in this situation a month ago, reading a book on the iPad till late at night, just reached the final few chapters where things got exciting. Unfortunately I had to give in and sleep.
But it'd be the next evening before I could continue. I was thinking how great it'd be if iBooks for the iPhone was already released. I'd be able continue reading where i left off while on the go, on my iPhone.

Well, this feature is coming and I bet it'd be a great trick for readers. Even better than I thought it would be, because iBooks would sync automatically without the need of iTunes.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #280
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
FYI--in case you didn't know, you could do that with Kindle books in the Kindle App for iPad and iPhone now. As well as any Kindle apps for PC/Mac in your office or home.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #281
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
FYI--in case you didn't know, you could do that with Kindle books in the Kindle App for iPad and iPhone now. As well as any Kindle apps for PC/Mac in your office or home.
That's why I continue to spend most of my book money at Amazon. I'm not buying books tethered to any one company's hardware.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #282
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I use both iBooks and Kindle app as I have different books on each bookshelf. iBooks is nice for syncing my epub downloads from feedbooks to it's shelves which can't be done on Kindle app. Looking forward to being able to download PDFs to same app with new update coming.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad