Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Unknown - Unknown

I just downloaded a free book from Books on Board. It is the free eBook of the week. I grabbed the one called Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte. Since this is a reputable dealer I was surprised to find it showed up as Unknown - Unknown on my ePUBReader window. I could not find a way to download it without it showing up in ePUBReader. I exported it and luckily in the latest version is keeps the name so it exported as 405_charlotte_bronte_Jane_eyre.epub so at least I could find it.

My suggestion is to do what ADE did when it found the book. It used the file name as the title. At least this way you can reference the book some way. The author was reported as unknown. ADE also displayed the cover but ePUBReader did not.

I guess sometimes you get what you pay for but the book at least seems ok.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 02-10-2010 at 02:50 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Interesting. So in other words, are you reporting the first useful use of ADE in e-reading?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I just downloaded a free book from Books on Board. It is the free eBook of the week. I grabbed the one called Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte. Since this is a reputable dealer I was surprised to find it showed up as Unknown - Unknown on my ePUBReader window. I could not find a way to download it without it showing up in ePUBReader. I exported it and luckily in the latest version is keeps the name so it exported as 405_charlotte_bronte_Jane_eyre.epub so at least I could find it.

My suggestion is to do what ADE did when it found the book. It used the file name as the title. At least this way you can reference the book some way. The author was reported as unknown. ADE also displayed the cover but ePUBReader did not.

I guess sometimes you get what you pay for but the book at least seems ok.

Dale
Hi Dale, thanks for your feedback!

You are right, "Unknow - Unknown" is not that helpful to identify a book . Taking the filename as title is of course better than taking "Unknown", but this makes only sense, if the filename is meaningful. Some websites use e.g. "220.epub" as the filename, in this case it wouldn't help that much. But I'll change this, because in most cases the filename is probably meaningful. I put it on the change list.

EPUBReader doesn't display the cover, because this is not implemented in the moment . I'll add something similar like in the OPDS reader to the private library. So you can click on an entry and will see some information about the book and additionally the cover. "Showing bookcovers" is already on the change list.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote