Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #31
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
... Not a French thing, a small company thing....
Not a small company thing either.

More like a sloppy company thing....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #32
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'm glad to see that bookeen is making progress and posting updates. it's really a shame that there is a problem and the website is down now, but hey, it happens sometimes ! even a giant site like amazon or google can sometimes go down (i've seen it). since it's the weekend, it's possible they haven't seen it, especially as they are, as we know, a small company (and seriously, how many of you spend your time off checking up on your company website ?) but i'm sure that it will be fixed soon. thank you to those of you keeping a cool head about the matter. it's after all really not the end of the world.

derek, please cool it with the french bashing. it's irrelevant, inappropriate and frankly a bit offensive. yes, other countries have different cultures. it's what makes the world such an interesting place. i certainly wouldn't want it any other way. i am glad that mobileread has a diverse, international membership where everyone can feel welcome, regardless which country they live in. let's try to keep it that way.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #33
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
Those of you who have seen the elusive website, is the Opus available to buy yet? I love how it looks!
Yes there was a "Buy Now" button but the price wasn't posted yet.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #34
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
that is great news. a lot of people are really looking forward to the opus. i think it's a great device. i'm quite tempted to get one myself, although i'm not sure i can really justify it.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #35
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
When I looked at the website yesterday, when it was up, the cost for the Opus was listed at $280 plus whatever shipping they charged, which I think was around $20 to ship it? I believe the cost I saw was US dollars not Euros, but I won't swear to that.

I must have seen the website at the right time because it was up at the time.

I will be very interested to see what someone who actually owns one has to say about it. It looks like the ergonomics might be better than what alot of the other ereaders have.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #36
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
and seriously, how many of you spend your time off checking up on your company website ?
I run a smaller company than Bookeen, and I would know if my website was down -- and I would certainly take the time to fix it, regardless of day of the week. There are ways to automate notification of such problems. There is no reason for excusing them on this because of their size; at least in my opinion.

But I agree with the rest of your post, and the spirit it was written in.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #37
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I run a smaller company than Bookeen, and I would know if my website was down -- and I would certainly take the time to fix it, regardless of day of the week. There are ways to automate notification of such problems. There is no reason for excusing them on this because of their size; at least in my opinion.

But I agree with the rest of your post, and the spirit it was written in.
despite their small size, i am sure by now they *are* aware of it, and working on getting it fixed as soon as possible. but given it's sunday perhaps it took them a bit longer than it would otherwise to find out. personally, i try to spend my weekends out doing things when i can, and i'm sure bookeen's webmaster too. it's not even been a full day yet, don't forget, on top of the fact that today is sunday.

but i'm glad you agree with the spirit of my post.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #38
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
The Opus can be pre-ordered on the Expansys UK site. The cost is £209.99 which equates to $345 - broadly similar to the Sony PRS-505. At that price I might just get one - or do I wait in case Amazon bring the Kindle to the UK anytime soon . . .

The price includes UK tax (VAT). The ex-VAT price is £182.60 ($300)

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=184208

Last edited by scgf; 07-26-2009 at 06:40 PM.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #39
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
The Opus can be pre-ordered on the Expansys UK site. The cost is £209.99 which equates to $345 - broadly similar to the Sony PRS-505. At that price I might just get one - or do I wait in case Amazon bring the Kindle to the UK anytime soon . . .

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=184208
personally i'd choose the opus for the epub support alone, especially living in europe. particularly as there is no guarantee that kindle will be available outside the US anytime soon. i've played with the opus at the last paris meetup ; it's a nice device.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #40
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
So, is Bookeen going to have a penguin mascot for this new reader? Is Desert Grandma going to buy an Opus reader to keep her avatar company?
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #41
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
I feel that the display ought to cover most of the front of the device - just like it does on the Opus. I wouldn't want to read a real book where the text didn't cover most of the surface area of the page. I find even the Sony to have too many buttons and too much case showing.

I'm an Apple guy too and the Opus looks most Applesque!
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 AM   #42
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It can also be pre-ordered at

http://www.pdashop.nl/product/72046/...book-opus.html
€249,-

or for our Belgian members:

http://www.pdashop.be/product/72046/...book-opus.html
€253,-,

Those prices are including shipping and handling inside the country.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:56 AM   #43
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Website's back.

And the opus is indeed available.

Edit : and down again.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 07-27-2009 at 03:59 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:59 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Gone again. They're obviously still working on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:34 AM   #45
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Yeap. Up again, and down again, and up again.

Still no firmware, but should be sometime soon now. (Opus being sold mean e-pub firmware is done)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote