Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #196
renkan13
renkan13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (US)
Could someone create a Usbnetwork for kindle DX US 2.5 please, I want it so much. If you need the firmware bin file, just let me know, i am very happy to provide it.

Thank you~
Old 06-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #197
Goodspeed
Goodspeed began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE DX
The Collection features are disabled to not registered Kindle, I'm not in range the whispernet I have de Kindle DX (U.S. Wireless) Serial no. prefix B004
I've done the update to 2.5, but I guess is necessary usbnetwork to register and use the Collection new feature!

To create a collection:

1. Select "Create New Collection" from the Home screen menu."for me are disabled"
2. Enter a name for the collection.
3. Select "Save" with the 5-way controller when finished.
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #198
RenegadeScribe
RenegadeScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I seem to keep getting an error while trying to apply the usbnetwork23.011 version to my K2i with 2.3.4. Does anyone know if that hack works with 2.3.4?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #199
Goodspeed
Goodspeed began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE DX
Solution here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87336
Old 07-28-2010, 04:21 AM   #200
haylocki
haylocki began at the beginning.

Hi,

I managed to install the usb network patch (kindle-2.5-usbnetwork-0.11.N.zip), found in this thread : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

Enabling usb networking and telnetting into the kindle all worked fine.

When I tried to disable usb networking, and return to mass storage mode, I was unable to mount the kindle on my PC.

dmesg would show the kindle as a mass storage device, but no partitions were found.

To solve the problem I had to telnet into the kindle and delete the "auto" file in the usbnet folder. Then restart the kindle.

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong ?

Cheers, Ian
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #201
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Er, no. I never actually used the auto-usbnet feature, but it should only switch the Kindle to usbnet at boot, nothing more. (ie. the first `usbNetwork cmd would switch back to mass storage instead of usbnet without the auto feature).

Did you try unplugging/replugging the USB cord after the `usbNetwork command? (It works fine for me without unplugging, but I have a fairly bleeding edge kernel+udev combo, and no crappy auto mounting daemons).

Also, just to make sure: What did you do to 'return to mass storage' exactly?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #202
pgf
pgf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i'm using the 2.5 usbnetwork hack -- how do i switch back and forth between network and storage mode for the USB? is `usbNetwork a toggle? it seems like maybe it enables and disables the usbnet functionality, but i'm not getting usb storage back. restart doesn't seem to help. clearly i missed a HOWTO somewhere along the way... :-)
Old 07-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #203
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you took it from my fonts/ss post, then, yes, the `usbNetwork command is a toggle (betwen eth over usb/mass storage, it doesn't do a thing for tethering, so you'll have to disable the tethering first if it's enabled).

Not sure if Windows/OS X correctly handle the switch without unplug/replug, but on my Linux box, it works fine.

(Might want to delete the auto file in usbnet if you don't want to be in 'eth over usb' mode @ boot).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-28-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #204
pgf
pgf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
the hack i'm using is from kindle-2.5-usbnetwork-0.11.N.zip in the attachments area.

thanks -- i removed the auto file, and restarted, mass storage comes back, and now `usbNetwork is acting as a toggle. ping and telnet work fine, but ssh is connecting and hanging. not sure why -- different problem i guess.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #205
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Hanging before the password prompt? Anyway, try launching your client with more verbose output, should help pinpoint the issue.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #206
haylocki

Hi,

I tried several methods to return to USB storage mode.

Telnetting into the kindle, and running the usbnet-disable command.
Telnetting into the kindle, and running the usbnetwork command.
Issuing the `usbnetwork command on the kindle.

They all seem to put the kindle back into usb mode, as can be seen using dmesg after plugging the kindle into the usb. It's just that no partitions are found. Gparted doesn't even recognize the drive.

As pgf seems to have had the same problem, I guess it's something to do with the auto enabling on boot.

Maybe the auto file could be removed from the "kindle-2.5-usbnetwork-0.11.N.zip" file, to stop others having the same problem.

Cheers, Ian
Old 07-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #207
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Huh, that's weird. I'll take a look later to see if it somehow prevents the file storage module to be configured correctly...

Anyway, I've disabled the auto feature in the bundle for now.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-30-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #208
haylocki

Hi, just found this on page 8 :

Quote:
Edit: To revert the changes and make the Kindle seen as a USB storage device once again do the following:
telnet 192.168.2.2
Code:

rm /mnt/us/usbnet/AUTO

reboot.
Such a long thread I must have missed it before.

Cheers, Ian
Old 07-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #209
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, but that applied to the original usbnetwork hack. I tweaked the `usbNetwork script to make it a toggle to avoid having to reboot, so that shouldn't apply here .

But apparently, when using the auto usbnet on boot, the file storage module is misconfigured when toggling on the fly... (it works without the the usbnet @ boot, FYI ). I'll check that later... (At worst we'll have to pass the correct options to the file storage module on every load).
Old 08-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #210
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
I really still don't understand how to use USB networking trought PC.
Can you explain in simple steps: 1, 2, 3 ?
Closed Thread

Tags
kindle usb network