Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 04-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
BeBook Mini Review

I have posted a couple of review posts on my blog. Please take a look and ask any questions. If I got anything wrong or missed something, let me know and I'll will post an update.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Shadow
Enthusiast
Shadow began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader
So would you consider the bebook to be the better of the two? (cybook vs. bebook) For your use that is.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
So would you consider the bebook to be the better of the two? (cybook vs. bebook) For your use that is.
You know, I *want* it to be better; I love the folders, I love the 'recent files,' I really like the 'keyboard lock.' For me, what kills it is the limited font sizes (I tend to read really small fonts to reduce page turns, a hold over from reading on a PDA I think), and the lack of "in book dictionary lookup" (I find I will lookup at least 1 word in every eBook I read, usually more).

That said, I will continue to recommend the BeBook to anyone who is looking for an eBook Reader. It has great format support, easy to understand interface, font sizes are good for the majority of people, and the price is right. I'm just really picky. I'm looking forward to future firmware updates from both companies, sooner or later they should adopt the best of both worlds and leave me with 2 awesome eBook Readers.

See my comparison chart in this post: Comparison Between BeBook and Cybook
Old 04-07-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
You know, I *want* it to be better; I love the folders, I love the 'recent files,' I really like the 'keyboard lock.' For me, what kills it is the limited font sizes (I tend to read really small fonts to reduce page turns, a hold over from reading on a PDA I think), and the lack of "in book dictionary lookup" (I find I will lookup at least 1 word in every eBook I read, usually more).

That said, I will continue to recommend the BeBook to anyone who is looking for an eBook Reader. It has great format support, easy to understand interface, font sizes are good for the majority of people, and the price is right. I'm just really picky. I'm looking forward to future firmware updates from both companies, sooner or later they should adopt the best of both worlds and leave me with 2 awesome eBook Readers.

See my comparison chart in this post: Comparison Between BeBook and Cybook
You should try OpenInkpot, or there is another firmware here that has FBReader embedded, much better font support for the formats that are supported. Non DRM files only though.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Justy
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
You should try OpenInkpot, or there is another firmware here that has FBReader embedded, much better font support for the formats that are supported. Non DRM files only though.
Non DRM files would be fine. Do you know if OpenInkpot or any of the other support dictionary lookup from within the eBook? This could be worth re-flashing my firmware.
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Do you know if OpenInkpot or any of the other support dictionary lookup from within the eBook?
OpenInkPot is working on dictionary lookup, it was apparently working at one point in its CR3 renderer but the plan is to make it work across all apps.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Justy
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
OpenInkPot is working on dictionary lookup, it was apparently working at one point in its CR3 renderer but the plan is to make it work across all apps.
Awesome news, I'll be keeping an eye out for that, and will download the current version today.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Wallcraft, do you know if the firmware that has FBReader embedded is in addition to the other formats the EZ Reader supports, or replaces them and only uses FBReader?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Wallcraft, do you know if the firmware that has FBReader embedded is in addition to the other formats the EZ Reader supports, or replaces them and only uses FBReader?
It was posted in this thread by wiffel

It opens RTF, TXT, FB2, HTM and CHM in FBReader and everything else using whatever is normally used.

Opening epub would be nice too if any linux heads want to do another patch.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies

Quote:
Awesome news, I'll be keeping an eye out for that, and will download the current version today.
It's well worth it. I'm currently running it from the SD card but it is more stable flashed. I'm just waiting for PDF support to improve and I'll go back to just running OpenInkpot.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
do you know if the firmware that has FBReader embedded is in addition to the other formats the EZ Reader supports, or replaces them and only uses FBReader?
I don't use the updated standard firmware, but I assume it replaces CoolReader with FBReader. If you want to use FBReader for other formats (e.g. ePub or MOBI), then a work-around is to make a ZIP of the ebook and rename the extension (from .zip) to .fb2.zip. The BeBook thinks this is a FB2 file and invokes FBReader, but FBReader sees the .zip and unzips before looking at the ebook.

Under OpenInkPot, FBReader is the default but CR3 can be used instead for formats that both support.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
It was posted in this thread by wiffel

It opens RTF, TXT, FB2, HTM and CHM in FBReader and everything else using whatever is normally used.

Opening epub would be nice too if any linux heads want to do another patch.

Thanks. I read the post but was unclear on whether it replaced or enhanced.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I don't use the updated standard firmware, but I assume it replaces CoolReader with FBReader. If you want to use FBReader for other formats (e.g. ePub or MOBI), then a work-around is to make a ZIP of the ebook and rename the extension (from .zip) to .fb2.zip. The BeBook thinks this is a FB2 file and invokes FBReader, but FBReader sees the .zip and unzips before looking at the ebook.

Under OpenInkPot, FBReader is the default but CR3 can be used instead for formats that both support.
I am assuming here that CoolReader is the default that the EZ Reader uses now?
Old 04-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I am assuming here that CoolReader is the default that the EZ Reader uses now?
Only for FB2 books I believe. For others Jinke has developed their own reader. Try and Fb2 book and you will see the difference.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #15
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Only for FB2 books I believe. For others Jinke has developed their own reader. Try and Fb2 book and you will see the difference.

Dale
Thanks Dale.