Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
ILB
Groupie
ILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis
Calibre Database recovery failed after crash

My Calibre crashed. And now I can´t open my library - only a new, empty one.

I already tried to restore Calibre by restoring my backup from Norton - no change - and by restore the backup by calibre (as I have tried to change in Calibre to my normal library). Then I get the following message:

The library seems to be corrupted- Do you want to try a restore?
Details:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 570, in library_moved
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 197, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 209, in initialize_dynamic
File "site-packages\calibre\library\prefs.py", line 21, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 315, in run
DatabaseException: database disk image is malformed
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 272, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 172, in get
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

If I then try a restore:

Location database backups restored. Do not interrupt the process, this will be done in three stages. (Translation from German)

The program runs for some time and then comes the following error message:

Database recovery failed. see details:
caliber, version 0.9.38
ERROR: Failed: Database recovery failed. Click for more information "show details".

Traceback (most recent call last):
** File "site-packages \ caliber \ library \ restore.py", line 116, in run
** File "site-packages \ caliber \ library \ restore.py", line 279, in replace_db
Windows Error: [Error 32] The process can not access the file because it is being used by another process

I have no idea of what other program uses this data. I had closed a all other programs and Norton Backup disabled while I have run the Calibre backup.

What can I do?
ILB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Two ideas:

1) Make sure your antivirus is off when you do the recovery. It might start "checking" the file between the close and the re-open.

2) Make sure your library is not in dropbox or some other cloud-sync'ed folder. Alternatively, turn off its syncing.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 03:31 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Another idea: delete metadata.db, then start calibre and run the restore.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
ILB
Groupie
ILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipseILB can illuminate an eclipse

@chaley
Thanks. I tried no. 1 but unfortunately no change.
Regards no. 2 - I have no cloud-sync'ed folder.

@kovidgoyal
Where is medadata.db stored?

Last edited by ILB; 07-15-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Metadata.db is in the top folder of your library.

Another possibility: use the command line version of recover.
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/...store-database
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
ILB
Groupie

I think I'm going crazy ...

I have deleted metadata.db and when I try to open this library, the following message comes:

At the site ... no available library was found . If the library was moved to the new location - select below.

If I do that, I get the message: No library found
Old 07-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

If you delete that file then it really is no longer a calibre library. It is just a collection of files that used to be a library.

Use the command line version. It does not require a valid metadata.db file to run and redid the database. You could also put a valid db into the library then do a rebuild, but given the experiences so far I suspect that will just dig a deeper hole.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
ILB
Groupie

Thanks