Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #16
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
If the author is up front and honest about his/her authorship, and isn't using "hard sell" tactics or "pushing" the work, I see no problem. I tend to be skeptical, but I have accepted an author's self-recommendation at least once in recent months and wasn't disappointed.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:09 AM   #17
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't have an issue. In fact, the opposite is true for me.

The threads asking for recs on a particular theme will quite often be filled with bigger name authors which is perfectly fine, but if you like trying out self-pubbed authors (like I do), it's actually really helpful to read a relevant recommendation for a self-pubbed book - even if it comes from the author him/herself.

Regardless of any superlatives the author may use, I treat that recommendation as: "I wrote something along these lines - check it out!"

I don't like deception much though. I would hope there shouldn't be a need in our community.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #18
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Context matters, as has been said by others.

If it's an author suggesting a book they have written in a thread specifically asking for recommendations, and if the author makes it clear they're the author (not "a big fan of this brand new book that was just released"), and if the book fits the request, and if it's done in a venue where it's not prohibited, I think it's perfectly okay.

If the author pretends they're "just a reader", or pushes it aggressively, or does so in a place where self-promotion is not welcome or allowed, it's crossing that line for me and not okay. (For example on Amazon forums before Amazon really started to crack down on self-promo, it was often the case that I'd visit a genre forum and see a new post in 20-25 threads, sometimes across several forums, and they were all identical "buy my book!!" by one and the same author, regardless of whether the thread starter had asked for fluffy recs for 5-year-old girls or for gritty murder stories.)
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
And if an author writes a book about writing it's almost certain that they will include clips from their own writing when showing a technique.
Thank-you for bringing something else to mind: recommendations within books. I've seen this happen in various technical books, and they virtually always refer to something by the same author or publisher. That gets annoying since it ends up feeling like I'm reading an advertisement rather than a book. I sometimes see the same happening in academic titles, but I suspect that has more to do with the limited number of authors and publishers within a particular field.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
As long as they make it clear they're the author of the book and don't misrepresent the content or quality I'm fine with it.

In fact if I'd be asking for recommendation and an author happens to have written a book that fits perfectly I'd find it a shame if I wouldn't hear of it just because they don't want to promote their own book.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #21
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
don't misrepresent the content or quality
Quality is rather subjective, don't you think? I'd figure most people think the stuff they publish is of quality, it doesn't mean everyone will agree. That's not misrepresentation, it's disagreement.

Last edited by ApK; 05-09-2013 at 05:55 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
As long as it isn't spammed everywhere it is fine.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #23
Teutonic0
Jr. Member Extraordinaire
Teutonic0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Coming from someone who really doesn't like self-promoting (job interviews are the worst), I think there's a difference between "recommending" & "hawking" your own work.

In some few cases selling might be appropriate, but I think humbly recommending is the better way to do it. Something along the lines of, "Hey, I wrote this book, check it out if the subject interests you," as opposed to guilting someone to read it because they know you (if they know you).
Teutonic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #24
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
"I really need a good book about wombats!"
"Help! I'm an authority on wombats, and I've just written a book that looks like heading to be the standard textbook. But if I say so, Dr. Drib will diss me. What to do?"

If you don't believe in yourself, who will?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #25
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
An author should write a good back cover description of the novel and let it stand on its own. Anyone creating another persona to illuminate the masses of their work is a scuz.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #26
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It's a difficult line to draw, and personally I'd rather err on the side of strict prohibition. Sure, I can ignore promotions, but why should I have to? Every feather goes onto the scales.

Maybe with a few additional rules:

DON'T
- Wake up an old thread to recommend your book
- Only post to recommend your book

DO
- Recommend other books along with your own
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
"I really need a good book about wombats!"
"Help! I'm an authority on wombats, and I've just written a book that looks like heading to be the standard textbook. But if I say so, Dr. Drib will diss me. What to do?"

If you don't believe in yourself, who will?

Only the wombat!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Quality is rather subjective, don't you think? I'd figure most people think the stuff they publish is of quality, it doesn't mean everyone will agree. That's not misrepresentation, it's disagreement.
That's a problem,yes
I was more thinking along the lines of trying to make your first self published novel that's filled with typos appear like it was professionally edited. Or using out of context quotes to make it seem better than it is.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #29
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Are we talking fiction or non-fiction? If it's the former I find it a bit in bad taste, but I might find it acceptable if it's on a specialized topic with a limited selection or the author is presenting new or unknown material.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #30
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
As long as they're clear that they are recommending something that they have written, I would have no problem with that. I don't expect any false modesty. Don't be pushy, but, by all means, mention it if it is relevant.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote