Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Terminal emulator for Kindle – kterm

Hi,
My port of XTerm stopped working with 5.3 firmware. Instead of trying to revive it I took another way. I wrote a very simple GTK+ terminal emulator based on VteTerminal library.
It is available for testing here.
I run it successfully on KT 5.3.2 firmware. It is reported to run fine on Paperwhite. I believe it should also be compatible with 5.1 firmware.
UPDATE: It is reported to run on following devices: KT, KT2, KT3, PW1, PW2, PW3.
Any feedback welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot3.gif
Views:	2845
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	110986   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot4.gif
Views:	2254
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	110987  

Last edited by baf; 10-14-2016 at 02:32 AM. Reason: updated list of supported devices
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
silverzhao
Enthusiast
silverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle Touch
Wow, great! Looking forward to a terminal for KT 5.3.2 since the firmware update.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
silverzhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
silverzhao
Enthusiast
silverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Eh, there seems to be a problem: if I quit the kterm by type
Code:
# exit
, the matchbox-keyboard will not terminate, and when I run kterm through ssh again, the input wil be a mess.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The code which launched the matchbox-keyboard is probably missing a trap for sigterm that would allow it to terminate matchbox-keyboard before it exits.

Author can probably fix that without too much trouble.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverzhao View Post
Eh, there seems to be a problem: if I quit the kterm by type
Code:
# exit
, the matchbox-keyboard will not terminate, and when I run kterm through ssh again, the input wil be a mess.
Thanks for testing it!
I can't reproduce your error. How did you start kterm? You mean that keyboard stays open after terminal is closed?
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
silverzhao
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Thanks for testing it!
I can't reproduce your error. How did you start kterm? You mean that keyboard stays open after terminal is closed?
I ssh into the kindle, and launch kterm by
Code:
# /mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/kterm
then I can see kterm running on KT. I run some command such as ls, cd, and it works well.

Then I type exit to quit the kterm.

But if you run ps -e or pgrep -l match in ssh, you may see that matchbox-keyboard is still running in the background.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
silverzhao
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for testing it!
No, the keyboard doesn't stay open on the screen, but is still running in the background.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
But if you run ps -e or pgrep -l match in ssh, you may see that matchbox-keyboard is still running in the background.
Hmm, it should be killed when kterm exits. I tried several times and it did every time.
Does it stay alive each time you exit kterm?
What happens if you quit by choosing "quit" from the menu?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
kill(-getpid(), 15); // cleanup children

hmm... 9?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
kill(-getpid(), 15); // cleanup children

hmm... 9?
SIGTERM (15) should be enough. But maybe there is something I don't get.
My matchbox-keyboard is polite to go, silverzhao's is not
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
SIGTERM (15) should be enough. But maybe there is something I don't get.
My matchbox-keyboard is polite to go, silverzhao's is not
Could he have somehow created one more matchbox-keyboard than that in a matchbox-keyboard/xterm pair?

Have him do a Kindle restart, try that again, and this time include the pid and ppid in the posts.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Could he have somehow created one more matchbox-keyboard than that in a matchbox-keyboard/xterm pair?

Have him do a Kindle restart, try that again, and this time include the pid and ppid in the posts.
Or kterm died without killing its child.

No need to restart Kindle. I think killall -9 matchbox-keyboard will do.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
silverzhao
Enthusiast

Ah, I reboot my kindle just, and run the kterm again. Now it seems no problem any more, no more matchbox-keyboard left running in the background when the kterm exits. Maybe it is because of that my kindle has run for too long time before?

Sorry to trouble you about this problem.

But here seems to be another problem: if I want to run kterm the second time, it will sometimes print a lot of newlines, as is shown in the attached picture. Do you have this problem?

Besides, a question: is there anyway to save the font size setting? The default font size is a little larger for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scrot.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	99435  
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
But here seems to be another problem: if I want to run kterm the second time, it will sometimes print a lot of newlines, as is shown in the attached picture. Do you have this problem?
Yes, it happens sometimes. I don't know why yet. Same thing happened in kindle port of XTerm.

Quote:
Besides, a question: is there anyway to save the font size setting? The default font size is a little larger for me.
Unfortunately no. I may add some config in future.

Thanks for feedback!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverzhao
It's wonderfully clean code. Simple and clear make. not a difficult TC to use neither.

In the interim (before a config-able release was to surface it would be a relatively trivial job to slap together yourself a custom version. : )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_127.png
Views:	1355
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	99689   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_128.png
Views:	1106
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	99690  

Last edited by twobob; 01-19-2013 at 02:01 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, terminal emulator