Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
deed02392
deed02392 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (Non-touch)
Question K4NT SSH

Hi guys, I'm new here.

I have jailbroken my K4NT (it's a "post fall 2012 model", black) with yifulan's data.tar.gz, available on his blog. I also installed the usbnet light binary that yifulan releases on the same blog page as his jailbreak, but I wasn't able to SSH in either over usbnet OR wifi (the connection times out, suggesting that usbnet isn't actually on/running).

In usbnet mode as enabled in diags, I can at least ping the device, but SSH isn't running.

I want to try the usbnet full version that's been released (0.43), but it says it's untested for version 4, which concerns me a bit. I wonder if there's a more recent version than this? It also says in the readme that comes with this to refer to the page which ultimately leads to trying yifanlu's method, so that's no help at all.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!
deed02392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
i installed usbnet version 0.43.N on my (older, grey) K4 the other day, works fine although i did have to change the config file - last line from:
Code:
USE_VOLUMD="false"
to:
Code:
USE_VOLUMD="true"
if you connect the kindle in usb storage mode, the file is at usbnet/etc/config
see if that helps?
edit: this is for the full latest version, i don't know anything about the light version.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
deed02392

OK, your post gave me the confidence needed to try it out and it's worked. So we can confirm that this does version does indeed work on the latest black K4NT models. Just want to fiddle with getting it working on wifi now which involves key pairs, think the readme might be out of date on this one though as it refers to an authorized_keys file which doesn't exist. Unless it's safe to create it there.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by deed02392 View Post
OK, your post gave me the confidence needed to try it out and it's worked. So we can confirm that this does version does indeed work on the latest black K4NT models. Just want to fiddle with getting it working on wifi now which involves key pairs, think the readme might be out of date on this one though as it refers to an authorized_keys file which doesn't exist. Unless it's safe to create it there.
The file does not exist until created by the user for the first public key.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@deed02392: Yep, it's (finally) been tested, and should work pretty well since v0.43.N with USE_VOLUMD enabled. The big fat warning will be gone from the doc in the next release, and more hints dropped that K4 users should *really* enable USE_VOLUMD .

And, nope, the readme's not outdated on the shared keys front, but I'm not shipping any public keys by default, for obvious reasons (and because it'd be useless anyway ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Regarding black and silver kindle 4 models, the amazon firmware update page has replace the K4 image with a combined black/silver image labelled "kindle 4". So like they said elsewhere, the only difference is the case color and the price. A k4 is a k4 is a k4...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@GM: But since Yifan's simple usbnet was packaged well before the release of the K4B, the update package doesn't take the K4B device code into account (meaning grayed out UYK link).

EDIT: Actually, Yifan's simple usbnet was never packaged for the K4 at all, but for the Touch only ^^.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-24-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
deed02392

I've just noticed it says simple usbnet for touch on the download link, but I only clicked it the once, and from then on only looked at the archive which is just called simple_usbnet!

It does enable the UYK link on my K4NT, though.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@deed02392: If we're talking about the same package, that's quite interesting, because it really isn't packaged for the K4 *at all*:

Code:
Devices        3
Device         Kindle 5 Touch Wifi+3G
Device         Kindle 5 Touch Wifi+3G Europe
Device         Kindle 5 Touch Wifi
That'd be the first time I hear that a device's OTA updater doesn't check the device code properly...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-25-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
deed02392

Yes that exact package. MD5 matches. If I put the bin in the root of my kindle, the UYK menu item becomes active.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@deed02392: Huh. That's... err, interesting. xD.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
waterlubber
hobbyist
waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)
Is there a way to roll-back my kindles software (I HATE 4.0.1)
Please reply soon-ish.
mailto:waterlubber@gmail.com&subject=replying...
waterlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlubber View Post
Is there a way to roll-back my kindles software (I HATE 4.0.1)
Please reply soon-ish.
mailto:waterlubber@gmail.com&subject=replying...

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K4_Index#De-Bricking

you could use one of those methods to change the installed version I would imagine.
bit radical but yeah. do-able.#

err... send you an email? no. if you can't even be bothered to revisit the thread... lol.
(just set your MR notifications email to that or something!)

Last edited by twobob; 10-22-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: err... send you an email? no
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4nt, ssh, usbnet