Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Best Compliments and Silliest Bashings Ever?

So, what are some of the best compliments you guys have ever had on a book, or even the silliest negative comment? My best comes from a lady who read my Oort Perimeter three years ago. She said, "I hate you! The book was so good I couldn't put it down!" Second best is probably the snobby lady that came up to me at a book signing and said, "If I don't like it within one page, I won't buy it!" Four pages later she throws me a $20 and says, "Sign it. I can't put it down."

Now, for my silliest bashing ever, this one comes from an Amazon comment. The guy said he liked the book except for the fact that lizards can't purse their lips. Um, it's a sci-fi. You can do just about anything. Second silliest has to come from a guy who hated one of my short story anthologies simply because he hated ferrets.

So, what are some of the best or silliest compliments or bashings you've ever gotten on your books?
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
The bottom review on this site is the best review ever.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/review...ton/1110196303
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
The bottom review on this site is the best review ever.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/review...ton/1110196303
Lol. Are you sure you didn't write that review? We should have that kid review all our books. "My Mom mad me read" reviews by Anonymous Kid
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
Lol. Are you sure you didn't write that review? We should have that kid review all our books. "My Mom mad me read" reviews by Anonymous Kid
When I first saw it I did think my son had written it, but if it was him it would be on Apple and it would say his dad made him read it.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have a free short story out which generated what to me was one of the funniest reviews. The reader bashed me, saying, "She had a good story going and she killed it in six pages!" Ah, it WAS a short story.

Last edited by Anna Drake; 07-17-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just got this in my email about Little Boy Blue: "Urgent! Urgent! When will the sequel with the conclusion come out. Hanging by my fingernails here!"

I better get on that right now (made my day completely)
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One of my first book reviews made this statement: "Comparable to Lord of the Rings!"

Boy, did I swell up.

Until I saw later reviews of other books of mine, and by others, by the same reviewer; and with most of the reviews, she said... are you ready?... "Comparable to Lord of the Rings!"

Oh, well...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
One guy I'm friends with on Facebook recently had a really weird review from a lady on Amazon. She said, "Loved the book! 5 stars! But taking off two because it was too short." o_0;; Seriously.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
One guy I'm friends with on Facebook recently had a really weird review from a lady on Amazon. She said, "Loved the book! 5 stars! But taking off two because it was too short." o_0;; Seriously.
I had something similar: one of my lowest ratings on GoodReads (3 stars) last I checked and if I recall correctly (I try not to check often, I can see it becoming a compulsion) was something like "I loved it, but I'm rating it poorly because it was too short."

Which... I guess is a compliment? I mean, 20 chapters, clearly marked from the get-go with a Table of Contents, but apparently it felt abrupt to the reader.

It doesn't help, I guess, that my book "feels" longer in terms of the page-count because there's a big deconstruction post at the end. But since my deconstructions are what made me Slightly Popular On The Internet, it's kind of what I *do* and my regular readers expect it.

Sometimes I'm glad I haven't done the Amazon Free Promotional stuff. I've heard that people with unusual books can get slammed hard on reviews, based on mistaken expectations from all the people who got it for free.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote