Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
samysdad
Enthusiast
samysdad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
By the way... still no worky. Kobo only ever shows up under Disk Driver... never under "Unknown"
samysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #17
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Sammysdad, try the new version of the removal script and make sure you are running as administrator. Good luck!
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
todd33
todd33 began at the beginning.

Not working

I am having the same problem as everyone else and it isn't working. I am unable to create the android folder with a .(dot) in front android. I am not sure if that matters but Win 7 will not allow it.

Device manager will not read the driver and I have uninstalled twice and rebooted.

I'm not a Windows Guy (have had Mac's for 16 years) and can't get into command scripts etc.

Any ideas?
todd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #19
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Hi todd33, I actually experienced the same problem today when I was doing this on my work PC.

I'll add a script to the package soon to handle this, but in the meantime do the following:

1. Click Start -> Run -> cmd
2. type "cd %userprofile%" (without any quotes)
3. type "md .android" (without any quotes"
4. The folder should be created, try copying the file now.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandking View Post
How do you "force in the ADB interface driver"?
When I choose the usb_driver, windows gives a message saying:

"The specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

Brian
http://youtu.be/YJCS6fefBpw
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #21
todd33
todd33 began at the beginning.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
That worked. Thanks.
todd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #22
samysdad
Enthusiast

Ran as admin and got...

Microsoft PnP Utility

Deleting the driver package failed :The parameter is incorrect.
If any errors occured, please post to MobileRead forums. Otherwise, please resta
rt your computer now.
Press any key to continue . . .
Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
briandking
briandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: kobo vox
Win7 force install versus XP error

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
Thanks for doing the video. That must be win7? With XP SP 3, it looks the same up until you select the directory. At that point you get a warning that you can override, but XP users get the error box I attached earlier.
briandking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #24
samysdad
Enthusiast

JOY! Found a good work around for the rooting not working.

Install Oracle Virtual Box
Setup a vanilla XP OS with USB access
Follow danifunker's root guide at the top of this thread
Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #25
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Could also use VMWare's VM Player (tis free and unlike older versions of Player you can create virtual machines).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #26
samysdad
Enthusiast

yeah I'm not a fan of VMware Player... complex to navigate their download site for the average non-vmware user vs. VirtualBox which is quite simple to get and use.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #27
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by samysdad View Post
yeah I'm not a fan of VMware Player... complex to navigate their download site for the average non-vmware user vs. VirtualBox which is quite simple to get and use.
You still need an OS to load, so it might be tough for non-experienced users. I took a look at an existing liveCD that was built for rooting, but it would require a lot of knowledge that I don't have. Let's see if other people come up with some solutions, since I know it's an OS problem, but I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
Tordre
Tordre began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Vox
Debugging Mode Completely Not Working

Hello

My Vox updated to the march 8th update successfully, been trying to run your root script on windows but with my Vox in debugging mode it does not appear in windows device manager, I tried a few things like running your driver fix script, restarting my computer and restarting my device.

I looked into your batch file to see what it was doing. I got the gist of what it is doing so I figured I would try using my linux box to do the same as I already had Android dev tools installed (in case it was a windows driver error). Here is where things get interesting the device doesn't appear in debugging mode in Linux either.

So I am beginning to think the update might have ruined my ability to debug, The next thing I will probably try is a factory reset unless anyone can think of another possibility.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Tordre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #29
muskiestallker
muskiestallker began at the beginning.

I reached step 7 and got the following message: The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems.

I then tried to run the uninstall driver Windows 7 and got the following message: Microsoft PnP Utility
Deleting the driver package failed :The parameter is incorrect.
If any erros occured, please post to MobileRead forums. Otherwise, please restart your computer now.
Press any key to continue ...

Any help would be appreciated.
muskiestallker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #30
samysdad
Enthusiast

Yup Tordre and muskiestallker are both having the same issue I had. Here's the fix...

1. Install VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
2. Install Windows XP Pro (SP2) as a VM in VirtualBox and give it access to USB
3. In the VM load up danifunker's package and follow his instructions

Tags
rooting vox