Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's going to be at least a couple of years before that becomes anywhere close to reality, and since I'm going to have my sony reader for the next couple of years, I don't really care.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:29 AM   #17
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaS View Post
This is exactly what I tried: convert a .lit file to .epub using instructions above. However DE does not open it.
I thought about the other conversion direction. .epub to .lit. Should be easy because litgen.dll is also using .opf.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2007, 12:36 AM   #18
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm going to wait until the format is a little more mature (in terms or reader support). Writing a converter to it will be trivial, but the only way I'm going to be tempted to do that is if the reader performs better (in terms of hyphenation and page turn speed) than the LRF reader.
How about adding hyphenation to the HTML? The shy entity is documented to work with Mobipocket. Can you test the LRF reader? A test for the .lit reader would be nice also.
I do not think that algorithmic hyphenation will ever work.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #19
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
I thought about the other conversion direction. .epub to .lit. Should be easy because litgen.dll is also using .opf.
Well, the other direction does not really look appealing for me: you can properly read .lit files on Microsoft platforms, while my main platforms are Linux and Mac OS X (while the latter is not that actively used).

So if .lit files can easily be converted to .epub files, then it makes it possible to read those books on a greater number of computers/devices

On a related note, there are not so many sources for .epub files now, so having one more is not going to hurt, is it?
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #20
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy

.lit to HTML is circumventing a copy protection so it can result in a DMCA takedown notice for mobileread.
Advert
Old 07-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
.lit to HTML is circumventing a copy protection so it can result in a DMCA takedown notice for mobileread.
There are many .lit files without DRM, e.g. from Baen, so discussing .lit to .epub is not on its face discussing DRM circumvention.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #22
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I'm going to work on epub this summer: this is the future standard for xml e-books.

Are you sure that soft hyphens are supported though ? Hyphenated e-books based on an xml format would be MUCH better than LRF for example.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:03 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm going to be snotty and point out that BBeB/LRF format is based on XML.

But, I also get the point you're actually making, Hadrien.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:58 PM   #24
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'm going to be snotty and point out that BBeB/LRF format is based on XML.

But, I also get the point you're actually making, Hadrien.
My point is that an XML format with hyphenation support is better than one without. I know that BBeB/LRF is based on XML too...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I want to know is in Digital Editions, can we specify the margins?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #26
silkpag
Enthusiast
silkpag began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I want to know is in Digital Editions, can we specify the margins?
Should be able to with the page template (.xpgt) file. Neither it nor the .ncx (digital talking book guide) files are required by the spec, but it seems both are made by Indesign.

/Still working on this.
//Thanks to MishaS for the Python script!
silkpag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll wait till someone successfully created an ebook DE 1.0 can read and then ask how it was done.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
My point is that an XML format with hyphenation support is better than one without.
That's what I assumed you meant, Hadrien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I know that BBeB/LRF is based on XML too...
I told you I was being snotty!

Actually, I figured it was worth mentioning for the new folks who might not have known.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah but BBeB has no ability to define semantic information. It's a total waste of the power of XML. Not that HTML is much better.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yeah, well, I'll let y'all work that out amongst yourselves -- my opinions on the matter are too ignorant to be worth typing out or reading.

(I don't work with them, so all I understand about them is that XML and HTML are related somehow, and that's about it)