Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Two simple questions for the mighty iLiad developers

1) Is it possible to use dropbear (or an alternative) for copying files? I.e. scp, instead of flipping memory cards / USB cables etc?

2) Why doesn't unzip work on the zip files I download (using wget) from mobileread? I always get an "Uknown compression method (1)" or something like that
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
SCP is almost the only way I get files to my iLiad. First, I setup the unbrickable iliad package, so the root user and networking is setup (I changed interfaces to use dhcp). Then, I used this pakage to install dropbear which includes scp: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=11

I've never tried to unzip something directly on my iLiad. I always download it to my computer, unzip, and then copy. I can start supplying tarballs instead...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Ah, I remember that some symlink stuff should make dropbear work with scp. Will try it later. Did you use the ikpg package to install dropbear? I've used the standalone installation.

Edit: Right, you've used the package. Will try that myselves.

As for zip-files: I don't understand why it doesn't work. Perhaps somebody can compile bzip2 for the iLiad (I guess that handles normal zip files as well)?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
jls
jls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud of

Sorry for my ignorance, the quoted post provides an *.ipk file with the instruction
> Install with "ipkg install"

My questions:

1) what is an *.ipk-file?
2) where do I get the ipkg program from?

Maybe a sticky note with a primer for newbies would be good!
--
jls
jls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
ipk is a package file - that means you don´t need to install the files yourself ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
jls
jls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud of

is ipkg installed on the iliad ?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls
is ipkg installed on the iliad ?
Yes. I even used it once, but is not really trivial so you probably need some guidance from the experts.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
jls

This is why I would appreciate a note of how to start at the very beginning and where to watch out not to 'brick' the box.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I guess the question at the *very* beginning is "Have you ever, or do you currently use/work on linux or unix?"

If the answer is no, it's probably best to do that for a while before you jump into the internals of a device that can turn into a $700 paperweight in the time it takes to type rm -rf
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:08 AM   #10
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
You can install *.ipk files like "ipkg install FILENAME.ipk", this works similarly to "apt-get install" on Ubuntu/Debian.
Zip/unzip is provided by Busybox, maybe there is a bug? We always use (GNU) tar for archives.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 AM   #11
jls

Yes, I do use Debian since relase 0.9 in 1996. But on a regular computer, with Keyboard etc. Currently I am waiting for my Iliad device and I want to learn in advance how to compile things for that machine and install things there. I use dkpg or apt-get, but I never prepared .deb files (which seem to be similar to the .ikp ones) besides kernel-packages. I have never heard about ipkg before. More fundamentally, what I am missing is an overview about the Iliad, its limitations, how to compile etc. There is a nice wiki about the toolchain, but actually do miss some preliminaries about the device. Not Linux/Unix etc.

For any newcomer it would save hours of skiming trough this forum if there were a quick inroduction by an experienced person from this forum as a sticky note or in the wiki.

Some extra questions:

1) What Unix environment is available out of the box (ls, cp, tar, ssh, perl, python, gpg ....)
2) Is the Iliad bootable so one can put a different Linux on it, would it make sense to do that?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #12
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs
You can install *.ipk files like "ipkg install FILENAME.ipk", this works similarly to "apt-get install" on Ubuntu/Debian.
Zip/unzip is provided by Busybox, maybe there is a bug? We always use (GNU) tar for archives.
Don't I have to set the ikpg root or something like that on a memory card? Since otherwise I would run out of memory after approx. 2 applications?

By the way, scp doesn't work for me; I get "unknown argument -t" from dropbear (when I use pscp on my windows computer to the iLiad). But I will try the package you used instead of the standalone dropbear I currently use.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #13
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls
For any newcomer it would save hours of skiming trough this forum if there were a quick inroduction by an experienced person from this forum as a sticky note or in the wiki.

Some extra questions:

1) What Unix environment is available out of the box (ls, cp, tar, ssh, perl, python, gpg ....)
2) Is the Iliad bootable so one can put a different Linux on it, would it make sense to do that?
I agree, but somebody have to volunteer... ?

Regarding 1): Most common Unix commands are there, but not perl/python/gpg or anything "fancy".
Regarding 2): Not in any easy way... I guess "No" is accurate enough. Perhaps the reflash utility iRex is working on can be used for that, but because of special proprietary drivers I don't think you can expect to install your favorite Linux flavor.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #14
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
Don't I have to set the ikpg root or something like that on a memory card? Since otherwise I would run out of memory after approx. 2 applications?
Yes, indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
By the way, scp doesn't work for me; I get "unknown argument -t" from dropbear (when I use pscp on my windows computer to the iLiad). But I will try the package you used instead of the standalone dropbear I currently use.
I have no problems with the scp that is installed when you use the IPK I posted a while back.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
Matthijs
Groupie

BTW: ipkg is the package format this is used by OpenEmbedded (http://www.openembedded.org/) which is what we use to build the iLiad distribution/toolchain/etc.