Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Refurbished Pocket and Touch Editions on Sonystyle

The readers have finally showed up in Sony's Outlet. Here is the link.

The Pocket Editions are $159.99 and the Touch Editions are $239.99. It looks like all colors are available except the Pink Pocket Edition.

Last edited by sahmad88; 01-18-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Typo
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Way to go! Awesome.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
The readers have finally showed up in Sony's Outlet....
Those prices are too tempting--I need one of each!

Seriously, if the 300 had a dictionary I'd think it was perfect....
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Briand
Briand began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Me too...a dictionary would complete my user experience with the 300 - think maybe Sony could put it in a firmware update....or is that too much to ask?
Briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Linda!
Enthusiast
Linda! has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
Is $159 for a refurbished Pocket Edition a good price? A new Sony Pocket can be regularly found on places like Amazon for $179. It would seem that Sony should cut the price a bit more on the PE. $240 for the Touch is a much better price discount.
Linda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briand View Post
Me too...a dictionary would complete my user experience with the 300 - think maybe Sony could put it in a firmware update....or is that too much to ask?
Not really sure how that works. But if it's possible at all, I hope that they decide to do it! And if they decide to do it, I hope they also make access to it less clunky than as it is on my K1. My understanding is that on the 600 you just double-tap the word and the dictionary entry is displayed at the bottom of the page. On my K1, you have to scroll to the line containing the word of interest, then click, then select "Lookup...", then wait for what seems like a pretty long time. The resulting display shows the definition of all the words on the selected line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda! View Post
Is $159 for a refurbished Pocket Edition a good price? A new Sony Pocket can be regularly found on places like Amazon for $179. It would seem that Sony should cut the price a bit more on the PE. $240 for the Touch is a much better price discount.
The math geek in me insists that both prices are a 20% discount of the suggested retail price. But I didn't know you could get a new one for $179 elsewhere--thanks! My understanding is that most refurbs are pretty much brand new anyway (returns) and $20 would buy several books, so I'm still leaning toward a refurb. Now if I can only figure out a way to convince my wife that I need to replace my K1....
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I love SONY!
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
The Lewis Four
The Lewis Four is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2, nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda! View Post
Checking online, the touch is available for $269.99, just $30 more. If I really, really wanted one and had a SUPER TIGHT budget... but I would just buy it new.
The Lewis Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Refurbs are not bad deals, 30$ is 30$, especially when we are talking that the discounted new price is still 30$ off MSRP.

Yes, they are sometimes returns, sometimes repaired product, but your odds of getting a lemon refurb are about the same as with new product (potentially a little lower, as more eyes have checked that specific device at Sony). I've never been disappointed by a refurb's quality, and from some companies, I'll buy refurb before I even consider buying new.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
rrburton
Connoisseur
rrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad
covers!?

They are listing refurbished covers even
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665251969
$31.99

but of course it can be had new for only $29.88 at america's favorite retailer
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10746127
rrburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:30 AM   #11
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I checked out Sonystyle and they do charge tax on your purchases. Currently, I found the $179 price for the pocket reader 300 at J&R Music. No tax or shipping fees on this purchase.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #12
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
If you do buy at Wallyworld, don't forget to go through bing for 10% off (ebay is 8% by the way). I actually plan to get a 300 for my daughter, so I went through bing to ww, bought $200 of gift cards with 10% cashback; then used the gift cards (went through bing again) to buy the reader with 10% cashback, giving me double savings. They're $178 at ww right now. If I could figure the math right, I think I then get the 300 for about $140 new. Of course, I could use the gift cards to buy more gift cards via bing a few times and save even more, but that scrambles my brain too much. I did that with borders before Christmas when they gave $10 gift card with the purchase of a $50 giftcard - I cycled them through twice and ended up with about $40 in free giftcards. I think I'm on to something here
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote