Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #136
hippocratesnoah
Enthusiast
hippocratesnoah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Edit: You're right ; there's a bug, the symbolic link is never deleted ... Will update right away...
Here it is:
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/usbnetwork-0.9.tar.gz

Will properly delete the symbolic link (not that it mattered much anyway)
Ok. Loaded the 0.9 file and copied over update_uninstall_usbnetwork-dx.bin
Now it gives me an update not successful error for this uninstall as well. Since this didn't happen with 0.7, could it be that update_uninstall_usbnetwork-dx is just the wrong file - say actually the k2 file?

Anyway:
If have really tried everything else. Reset to factory defaults and so on.
Still the update is failing.
I don't understand this.

If anyone has an idea: kindl(e)y share it with me.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #137
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippocratesnoah View Post
Ok. Loaded the 0.9 file and copied over update_uninstall_usbnetwork-dx.bin
Now it gives me an update not successful error for this uninstall as well. Since this didn't happen with 0.7, could it be that update_uninstall_usbnetwork-dx is just the wrong file - say actually the k2 file?
What install is failing ?
the uninstall package or the Amazon 2.3 firmware?

If it was the wrong type of install (say k2 instead of dx), the "Update" menu entry would be greyed out. So it can't be that.

If the Amazon 2.3 firmware is failing your issue is elsewhere than with the usbnetwork hack ; you must have modified a system file somewhere ...
Old 11-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #138
hippocratesnoah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
What install is failing ?
the uninstall package or the Amazon 2.3 firmware?

If it was the wrong type of install (say k2 instead of dx), the "Update" menu entry would be greyed out. So it can't be that.

If the Amazon 2.3 firmware is failing your issue is elsewhere than with the usbnetwork hack ; you must have modified a system file somewhere ...
Hi,

the uninstall.bin file for the usbnetwork hack is failing this time. Since version 0.7 of the uninstall.bin for the usbnetwork hack worked I thought maybe this time the uninstall.bin itself is somehow corrupted, too.

edit2: since 0.9 and 0.8 are signed packages, would these work with firmware version 2.1.1? If not this would explain why I can't apply the uninstall usbnetwork bin file.

Just for the record: If I try to install the usbnetwork hack (version 0.9) in order to properly uninstall it even wouldn't let me install the hack. Again: "update was not successful".

As for the 2.3 update:

I had two hacks installed:
screensaver hack
usbntwork hack

I used the uninstaller bin files for both.
It worked for so many other people. Why not for me?

edit:
The only thing I remember I did once was to format the kindle in fat32. I did some resets to factory defaults since than. I couldn't imagine how this would alter system files.

Last edited by hippocratesnoah; 11-26-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #139
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
the uninstall.bin file for the usbnetwork hack is failing this time. Since version 0.7 of the uninstall.bin for the usbnetwork hack worked I thought maybe this time the uninstall.bin itself is somehow corrupted, too.
version 0.8 and 0.9 are for Firmware 2.3 .... I'm surprised they wouldn't work with earlier firmware ; but I can't test anyway now...

Once again: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE USB NETWORK HACK TO INSTALL 2.3

If you do want to uninstall it on an earlier kindle than 2.3 ; you use the usbnetwork 0.7 version. I've updated it to properly remove the link file. Download it again..

Still you can persevere in trying to do something unecessary and as a result be frustrated ; or just listen to the advices given to you...
Old 11-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #140
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I was able to update to the recent upgrade only by uninstalling the font and screensaver hacks, nothing else. Took me a while but just keep preservering and it will happen. New hacks are now working fine.
Thankyou to everyone for working away at this.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #141
hippocratesnoah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Still you can persevere in trying to do something unecessary and as a result be frustrated ; or just listen to the advices given to you...
The advise is to ignore the usbnetwork update as it can't possibly be the issue. With all due respect. I'm not a fool. The reason I'm still trying to remove the usbnetwork hack is simply:

I have already tried everything else. There is just no other possible thing for me to do except to cling to this little straw.

I even had two hours of troubleshooting with an amazon tech guy. With no success either.

Therefore I have been asking for other ideas as well. Because maybe someone knows something about that error code I mentioned: U006 and could give me some more advise.

Thanks anyway.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #142
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
U006 and could give me some more advise.

Thanks anyway.
ERR_UPDATE_FAILED=U006

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63457

Last edited by jyavenard; 11-27-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #143
yfs
yfs began at the beginning.

scp not working

hello jyavenard,

I have been trying to use the scp(come with your fix) in KindleDX, but seems it is not working. The first error was dbclient not found, after I did
ln -s /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/dropbear /usr/bin/dbclient

Then try scp from outside with ubuntu8.04, the error becomes:
sh: scp: not found

Could you kindly explain how to fix it? I am using 2.3 firmware with usbnetwork 0.8.

Have a nice weekend!

Last edited by yfs; 11-27-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #144
hippocratesnoah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks. I just posted the relevant error log in that thread.

In short:

Code:
700101:214101 ota_install: C def:patch:patchinfo="/opt/amazon/ebook/config/framework.mario.conf":checksum failure
Old 11-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #145
highwaykind
Connoisseur
highwaykind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK, I installed the usbnetwork-0.05.tar.gz which went really well.
Except that I can follow instructions, but I have no clue what I'm doing, and - now it's installed - what I need to do to actually get the Kindle 'online'.. I was hoping "enable whispernet" would bypass the whispernet and magically connect me. no such luck

I'm in the Netherlands and would like to if possible register my KindleSX.
if that's not possible, i'd just really like to get the thing to sync the time and year (once is enough) so that sorting works. And being able to get updates (did anyone say more screensavers?) would be nice to

(I understand that the 2.3 update is included in usbnetwork23-0.9.tar.gz ?
Do I need to uninstall what I installed first??)

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #146
earthy
earthy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
cannot bypass whispernet by using usbnetwork23-0.9 on kindle dx 2.3

Quote:
Updated the packages for Firmware 2.3 for DX and K2
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/usbnetwork23-0.9.tar.gz

They are identical to 0.7 ; just repackaged to bypass the new security ..

Edit: Use 0.9 if you have updated to 2.3
Use 0.7 if you are running an earlier firmware
jyavenard, thanks very much for the release!!!

It's my first time to install usbnetwork on my kindle dx.
I first updated my dx with 2.3 firmware, and then, installed the usbnetwork23-0.9.
After installing the hack, I could telnet into dx and execute 'bin/usbnet-enable', and reboot.
Then, I tried 'Kindle Shop' and 'Basic Web', but both attempts got me 'Turn Wireless On?' prompt.

I captured the packet flow by wireshark.
I could see packets delivered via newly installed network adapter if I ping google.com from telnet on dx.
But, no packets come up if I try 'Kindle Shop' or 'Basic Web' from DX's menu.

I verified that 'USE_WAN = false' in framework.mario.conf.
'/etc/init.d/usbnet' is executable.

Could you please give me any hints about how I could find out the problem in my settings?

Thank you
Old 11-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #147
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Code:
700101:214101 ota_install: C def:patch:patchinfo="/opt/amazon/ebook/config/framework.mario.conf":checksum failure
Ok ;

Re-download usbnet v0.7 from there:
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/usbnetwork-0.7.tar.gz

Try the uninstaller once again ; then the update to 2.3

If that still doesn't work; re-install usbnetwork 0.7 ; telnet to the kindle
and run /mnt/us/usbnetwork/usbnet-disable

Try 2.3 once again ; if that still fails ; repost here with your /opt/amazon/ebook/config/framework.mario.conf
see what got changed ...
Old 11-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #148
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthy View Post
Then, I tried 'Kindle Shop' and 'Basic Web', but both attempts got me 'Turn Wireless On?' prompt.
Yes, you need to have wireless on ; even though data will go through the USB connection

I can't help you much here, haven't tried since I got the Kindle 2 International ; I have wireless working now.

Last I tried, accessing the Amazon store worked fine
Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #149
earthy
earthy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
it works with wireless on.

Quote:
Yes, you need to have wireless on ; even though data will go through the USB connection

I can't help you much here, haven't tried since I got the Kindle 2 International ; I have wireless working now.

Last I tried, accessing the Amazon store worked fine
Oh, thanks!!!
I found it worked fine with wireless on.
Regards
Old 11-28-2009, 07:14 AM   #150
hippocratesnoah
Enthusiast

Quote:
If that still doesn't work; re-install usbnetwork 0.7 ; telnet to the kindle
and run /mnt/us/usbnetwork/usbnet-disable

Try 2.3 once again;
THANK YOU. "Update successful"

run /mnt/us/usbnetwork/usbnet-disable did the trick. At least after this the update went through.

Sorry for posting all around and keeping you distracted.
Again many thanks.
Closed Thread

Tags
kindle usb network