Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I was less concerned about stripping the DRM than converting formats; I'm enough of a web geek that I instinctively distrust automated conversions, and I'm busy enough that I don't have time to do 'em by hand. I considered a second device to be much cheaper than my time and effort.

As always, YMMV.
I've converted literally hundreds of books between ePub and Amazon's KF8 format. I honestly can't recall ever having had problem with it. KF8 is basically "ePub in a wrapper", so the conversion really doesn't touch the book - all it's doing is adding or removing the wrapper. Works flawlessly.

As you know, DRM removal with "the tools" and Calibre is totally transparent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #17
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
After using either one of the illuminated e-ink devices, you may find it difficult to go back to the old e-inks. Font support is more flexible on Kobos but the novelty wears off after a while.

I went for the Kobo because I didn't want to be tethered to any single vendor, their desktop software or infrastructure. Kobo tends to be quite "open" and where they're not, there are ways to make it so.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07...4_from_kindle/

I think the screen on Kindle Paperwhites are a slightly better in terms of aesthetics however.

Large number of books on the reader is difficult to thumb through. I prefer to keep the bulk of my library on my PC. Calibre is good for this. Since the devices have to be charged, connecting USB cables never poses much of a challenge.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #18
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Keep in mind that every Kindle has an associated @kindle.com email address. Using this (or the various Send To Kindle apps and a browser extension that can send web pages), you can send 'personal documents' to the Kindle (doc, txt, rtf, and pdf with or without conversion to mobi), and there is 5GB of free storage for these. These will then sync and backup annotations just as with stuff you purchase from Amazon.

The availability of this service is for me an important differentiator between Kindle and Kobo (and other ereaders). It is not as important when you move to reading on tablets since there are so many options there.
Yes, and also a @free.kindle.com address, then you get sync between devices for personal content (but highlights and annotations is not easily available for this content on a PC/Mac/Web browser) ...
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #19
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaryu View Post
Large number of books on the reader is difficult to thumb through. I prefer to keep the bulk of my library on my PC. Calibre is good for this. Since the devices have to be charged, connecting USB cables never poses much of a challenge.
That's what searching and collections are for.

Seriously, I like to keep unread ebooks on the reader (usually on the card) along with some favorites (in the internal memory). As long as I manage the shelves/collections reasonably, it's not a problem. And as for charging, I use a separate USB charger for that, instead of cluttering my laptop. Handily, I can use the same cord for my Kobo, Kindle, or phone.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #20
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I played around with a Kobo glo and I will say that the screen illumination was very good without any blotchiness or cones of shadow or colors or anything like that. The light seemed to come from the top, but the source was very subtle, not obtrusive at all. I did use it under store lights so I can't say how it would behave in darkness, but it looked okay. Also it is very solid physically and responded quickly.

The homescreen was an advertisement and it handles pdfs very poorly, just like the Kindle / PW, which are two of the reasons why I would buy neither.

Last edited by Rizla; 03-06-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The homescreen was an advertisement
You only see that when there are no books on the device. Once you add some books, the home screen shows the cover of five books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #22
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm considering purchasing either the Glo or the Paperwhite now that it is available in stores in Canada. They both really seem to be great devices, making the choice very tough. I might just end up waiting for the next generation and see how my husband's PRS-505 holds up in the meantime. Perhaps Sony will have come out with a lit device by then.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I played around with a Kobo glo and I will say that the screen illumination was very good without any blotchiness or cones of shadow or colors or anything like that. The light seemed to come from the top, but the source was very subtle, not obtrusive at all. I did use it under store lights so I can't say how it would behave in darkness, but it looked okay. Also it is very solid physically and responded quickly.
The lights are along the bottom (same as the Paperwhite), it's just the Nook that has lights along the top (and that seems to be an improvement, when you think how you hold your e-reader, if the lights are along the top of the screen there is more chance of you noticing them the way the screen is angled). The Kobo Glo has that black/grey band along the bottom of the screen, which seems to have been implemented to help hide any shadows or cones of light from the leds (it can be turned off though). It certainly works.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 03-06-2013 at 12:14 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #24
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaryu View Post
Font support is more flexible on Kobos but the novelty wears off after a while.
How about the ability to change the weight, crispness etc of the font to help improve on the contrast? I'm not fussed about the number of different fonts and the variation on the size, but I do think the way you can manipulate the font on the Kobo Glo to help improve contrast is a definite plus over the PW.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
How about the ability to change the weight, crispness etc of the font to help improve on the contrast? I'm not fussed about the number of different fonts and the variation on the size, but I do think the way you can manipulate the font on the Kobo Glo to help improve contrast is a definite plus over the PW.
It's a benefit, but it only works with pre-loaded fonts (not sideloaded fonts). I do like what it does on the fonts it works on. Lets you make them much darker. My only complaint is that the sideloaded fonts can look a little anemic (thin mainly), as do the built in fonts without bumping them a little. That will vary depending what font and font size you use.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:45 AM   #26
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've made my decision to stick with epubs, so that means the Glo. I'll get it soonish. I have moved all my kindle ebooks to epub format (after de-DRMing) and will likely not get any more.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #27
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I have both. I enjoy them both and use them frequently. I am also one of those weird people who reads more than one book at a time. I've got 3 going right now, two novels, and a non fiction book.

My name is Voracious71, and I am a gadget addict,lol.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #28
qqqqqqqqqqqz
qqqqqqqqqqqz can self-interpret dreams as they happen.qqqqqqqqqqqz can self-interpret dreams as they happen.qqqqqqqqqqqz can self-interpret dreams as they happen.qqqqqqqqqqqz can self-interpret dreams as they happen.qqqqqqqqqqqz can self-interpret dreams as they happen.qqqqqqqqqqqz can self-interpret dreams as they happen.qqqqqqqqqqqz can self-interpret dreams as they happen.qqqqqqqqqqqz can self-interpret dreams as they happen.qqqqqqqqqqqz can self-interpret dreams as they happen.qqqqqqqqqqqz can self-interpret dreams as they happen.qqqqqqqqqqqz can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW2
Wired Reviews

Wired Magazine gave the Paperwhite a 9/10: http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/09...le-paperwhite/
They also made a review for the Kobo Glo, but it's not as favorable (7/10): http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/11/kobo-glo/

Based solely on this information, I would go with the Paperwhite. (I know, two reviews is not a good singular basis of comparison.)
qqqqqqqqqqqz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #29
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I'm female and live in Australia too. I have a Kobo Glo and a Kindle Paperwhite.

IfI had to have just one I'd go for the Paperwhite, but I'm a gadget freak so I like to get anything interesting I can afford.

I must say that organising shelves on the Glo can be a frustrating experience. I don't bother much on the Kindle. Since you can keep books in the cloud and download when you need them it's no hassle.

I must say that by the time a reader is filling up there's usually a new model to get anyway.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #30
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqqqqqqqqqqz View Post
Wired Magazine gave the Paperwhite a 9/10: http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/09...le-paperwhite/
They also made a review for the Kobo Glo, but it's not as favorable (7/10): http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/11/kobo-glo/

Based solely on this information, I would go with the Paperwhite. (I know, two reviews is not a good singular basis of comparison.)
It's important to look closely at the details of the reviews, too. The only device-related downside that Wired noted with the Kobo was that the light doesn't dim quite far enough for reading in blackness. The rest of the deductions were for retail experience, something that only matters to some users and not to others (for me, for example, it's completely irrelevant).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote