Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Vox
Rooting the Kobo after March 2 2012 Update

Moderator Notice
Due to virus checkers detecting a false positive ("Linux/Exploit-Lotoor") in the attached rooting exploit, we have encrypted the attached zip file.

The password for decryption is: decryptme

Alex

Hi Everyone,

I know there have been a number of users who haven't been able to get root again after the March 2, 2012 update.

Here are the instructions:
1) Download the package ZergRush-forKobo.zip
2) Extract the files from the package
3) Make a new folder in your user profile ( %USERPROFILE% ) and call it .android
4) Copy the file adb_usb.ini to the new .android folder
5) On the Kobo: Turn on USB Debugging under the development options
6) Connect the Kobo to the Windows PC
7) Go into Device Manager, and double-click on the K080 device, it should be listed under unknown. Choose "Update Driver" and pick "Let me choose a driver for this device", point it to the usb_driver package (in my instance I extracted the package to C:\temp, so my full path name was C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\usb_driver ). A list of devices will appear, choose ADB Interface
8) Restart the computer
9) Open up the zergrush runme.bat script and let it do it's magic, in my instance it was C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush\runme.bat
10) Install OogleVox
11) Donate!

If you are having problems with the driver installation, I have included some scripts in my ZergRush-forKobo zip.

On XP, please try running uninstalldriver_xp.cmd this should clear out the Kobo specific driver for you. If you are still having troubles after the script, delete the infcache.1 file in c:\windows\inf ( you need to enable hidden files in windows to see the file). UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IN WINDOWS VISTA OR WINDOWS 7 DELETE INFCACHE.1. Windows XP will automatically recreate the file, Vista and higher will not.

On Windows Vista or Windows 7 (or higher), please use uninstalldriver_win7.cmd to clear our the specific driver for you.

Both scripts require administrative rights. Once you have run the script, please restart your computer before proceeding with step 6 again.

This IS a new version of the download that contains these new script, please use this new zip instead of the old one.

03/11/2012, 10:47PM EDT:
I've updated the uninstall script for Windows 7 and included the modded version of the USB driver (as a different folder) in the package. If you are having troubles with the original USB driver, try the usb_driver_modded instead.

03/12/2012, 10:52AM EDT:
I've taken a video of how to "force install" the driver for those who are wondering, you can view it here:

http://youtu.be/YJCS6fefBpw
Attached Files
File Type: zip ZergRush-forKobo-v2-encrypted.zip (18.29 MB, 467 views)

Last edited by danifunker; 03-12-2012 at 10:53 AM.
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Odieman
Enthusiast
Odieman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
Step 7 Windows XP: Cannot find driver for device...
Odieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odieman View Post
Step 7 Windows XP: Cannot find driver for device...
Take a screenshot of your device manager with any "kobo" or any "other" devices listed.

As well, were you able to run the script that I included which wipes out the existing Kobo driver?
Old 03-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Odieman
Enthusiast

Here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.JPG
Views:	910
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	83764  
Old 03-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Here it is

Excellent, we are at exactly where we should be. You need to specify the driver for windows at this point. So, finish the wizard, go to the properties of the K080, then say update driver. Dont let windows automaticaly find the driver, you need to specify the folder C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\usb_driver. Windows might say the driver isn't compatible so you have to force in the ADB interface driver.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

danifunker:did you add the following lines to android_winusb.inf?

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2237&PID_2208
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2237&PID_2208&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2237&PID_0FFF

It should be under [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64].
Old 03-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Odieman
Enthusiast

Freezes here:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled2.JPG
Views:	773
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	83769   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled3.JPG
Views:	666
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	83770  
Old 03-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
danifunker:did you add the following lines to android_winusb.inf?

It should be under [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64].
No I never did that, but I never had to do that on my main PC, so I don't think this is required.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Freezes here:
OK that looks great! It seems that you have the correct driver installed, did you make sure to copy the adbusb.ini file to %userprofile%\.android and restart your computer?

You can also try using super1click, but I'm not really sure how that one works so I can't support it as well.

Looks to me like ADB currently isn't seeing the Kobo as a registered device.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Odieman
Enthusiast

Thats what I figure too...I am wondering if adbusb.ini is in the right place for XP?
Old 03-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
No I never did that, but I never had to do that on my main PC, so I don't think this is required.
It probably isn't necessary, but it makes it easier to install the drivers since you can simply tell Windows to search in a particular directory and it will figure out everything else for you.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
It probably isn't necessary, but it makes it easier to install the drivers since you can simply tell Windows to search in a particular directory and it will figure out everything else for you.
I have a feeling this might have been what got us into the mess in the first place... That's why I'm avoiding it for now

If you compare the output from the output in the update thread, it has the same information in it, whereas my functioning installation doesn't have any remarks to this in any of my INF files, so I'm just keeping that out of the loop at this point.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #13
briandking
briandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: kobo vox
How do you "force in the ADB interface driver"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
Excellent, we are at exactly where we should be. You need to specify the driver for windows at this point. So, finish the wizard, go to the properties of the K080, then say update driver. Dont let windows automaticaly find the driver, you need to specify the folder C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\usb_driver. Windows might say the driver isn't compatible so you have to force in the ADB interface driver.
How do you "force in the ADB interface driver"?
When I choose the usb_driver, windows gives a message saying:

"The specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	install_adb_driver.PNG
Views:	485
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	83780  
briandking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
briandking
briandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: kobo vox
WinXP SP3 - installing Android USB Driver

In order to get the usb_driver to install on my system, I had to add the 3 lines suggested by BWinmill to android_winusb.inf:

under [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64].

After doing that, updating the driver and the rest of the instructions worked perfectly for me. Thanks!
briandking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
samysdad
Enthusiast
samysdad began at the beginning.

FYI the win7 uninstall .cmd you added has the wrong flags...

FOR /f "tokens=*" %%a IN ('FINDSTR /l /i /m "kobo" "%windir%\inf\OEM*.inf"') DO (
IF "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" ( pnputil -d -f %%a
echo If any errors occured, please post to MobileRead forums. Otherwise, please restart your computer now.
pause
)

*****pnputil -f -d filename.inf is what it should be
samysdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rooting vox