Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Oasis 2 Battery

The Oasis 2 battery is worse than my 11 inch iPad battery. Sometimes I read on iPad during day to save battery on kindle. Is there anyway to see if something is wrong with my kindle battery or if this is just the downside to oasis 2?

I read kindle oasis at night with light set at 1, had it for year and battery has always been this bad, I love the device but poor battery makes we not want to use it.
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The battery of the Oasis 2 seems to be hit or miss. There have been reports here of devices with a poor battery life and of devices with a relatively normal battery life.

The battery on mine certainly lasts longer than any of my LCD devices. And I read with the light set at 9.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I get about 18-20 hours of battery on my 2017 Oasis. During the day I read with the light all the way up, with a somewhat large font size, so lots of page turns. At night when the bedroom is dark, I set the light at 7-10 to start with, and turn it down more as my eyes adjust, never lower than 4-5.

Battery life is dismal, but I don't care. I plug it in every 3 days or so, and have chargers set up in two easily accessible areas. For me it's not a hardship.

Some days I pick it up to read 15 times or more for short spurts of reading, so the constant wake/sleep I'm sure chews up the battery too.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:46 AM   #4
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I just broke down and bought the Oasis 2 (always late to the party, that's me, lol!) and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised at how lovely it is. I'd read so many posts from folks unhappy with it that I was prepared to have to send it back, but I seem to have gotten a really good one. I have wifi and 3G on, the light at 9 or 10, and I've read quite a lot on it, and yet after downloading books when I received it yesterday and charging it to 100% at that time the battery didn't lose anything overnight and right now is still over 90% full. And the screen is lovely, better actually for my eyes that my Voyage screen is. So very happy with it!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:20 AM   #5
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
I agree, the battery is abysmal. I’ve also thought about opening a thread about the same topic, but looks like you got there first LoL. I read at about 10 on the light settings and have to recharge it every five days or so with only light reading. It blows. Looking forward to the Oasis 3 though - am absolutely starved for any info at all!
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
The Oasis 2 battery is worse than my 11 inch iPad battery. Sometimes I read on iPad during day to save battery on kindle. Is there anyway to see if something is wrong with my kindle battery or if this is just the downside to oasis 2?

I read kindle oasis at night with light set at 1, had it for year and battery has always been this bad, I love the device but poor battery makes we not want to use it.
I think it's just the down side of the Oasis 2, I average 4 days between charges reading in the middle light range 12-15. The lower the light setting the longer the battery will last between charges. 4-5 days seems to be average with those who use higher than 10-11 light level. It does vary and some may do better and some may have to charge more , but the average is 4-5 days between charges. I've had mine for a year now too.

I do like everything else about the Oasis though.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #7
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Its nearly the ideal ereader. Only wish it had comfort light and a much better battery.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #8
Futuregrace
Zealot

So I’ve been trying a few variables to see where the biggest drain comes from. By far it’s the WiFi being on, I’m now leaving it in airplane mode unless I need to sync it for something and it’s lasting significantly longer. Makes me wonder if it’s using WiFi more than it needs to when just reading (with airplane mode off).
Old 01-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #9
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
That's a good idea to turn wifi off on the Oasis 2. I only use wifi when needed. Then turn it off again. Another suggestion would be pressing the power button and wait for the " turn screen off prompt " to shut it down instead of just closing the magnetic cover if you use one. That's what I do to keep it from losing battery percentage over night. Everything adds up on the Oasis 2. Little things could improve your battery life. I hope it works for you too.

Last edited by Wearever; 01-17-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:48 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
I agree, the battery is abysmal. I’ve also thought about opening a thread about the same topic, but looks like you got there first LoL. I read at about 10 on the light settings and have to recharge it every five days or so with only light reading. It blows. Looking forward to the Oasis 3 though - am absolutely starved for any info at all!
Actually we already have threads on battery life for almost a year now so I do not know why a new one is created but its a highly discussed topic lol. I just love how my posts get deleted for no reason so I am going to repost it.

I am one of the many with an Oasis with a dud battery. I charged it yesterday to 100% and 24 hrs later I am at 70%. drives me nuts. I still love my Oasis regardless. I went threw two of them and gave up trying to get a good one. It is exhausting to return, exchange or sell . I just charge it every other day and move on lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think my battery meter is not accurate. it died at 18% would it not be 1 or 0% like on any other device?
Old 02-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #12
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I do notice that if I use the Screen Off option, instead of just closing the cover, the battery doesn't seem to drain as quickly. I keep the WiFi off in between book downloads.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I do notice that if I use the Screen Off option, instead of just closing the cover, the battery doesn't seem to drain as quickly. I keep the WiFi off in between book downloads.

I do that. It still sucks tho lol
Old 02-02-2019, 04:13 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
So I’ve been trying a few variables to see where the biggest drain comes from. By far it’s the WiFi being on, I’m now leaving it in airplane mode unless I need to sync it for something and it’s lasting significantly longer. Makes me wonder if it’s using WiFi more than it needs to when just reading (with airplane mode off).
The light and WiFi are the biggest battery drains with any eInk device. I find that keeping my Oasis in aeroplane mode roughly doubles battery life.

I get a battery life which easily matches what Amazon quote.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:14 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I think my battery meter is not accurate. it died at 18% would it not be 1 or 0% like on any other device?
It takes a few charge/discharge cycles to properly calibrate the battery meter. Fully charge it and use it until you get the "low battery" warning a couple more times and the meter should then be a lot more accurate.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-02-2019 at 04:27 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery drain, battery life