Kobo Nickel 9 6.77%
Malabar 16 12.03%
Kobo UD Kakugo 6 4.51%
Open Dyslexic 2 1.50%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
What is the best font on kobo for reading and why?

just a poll

I have not a clue on how to upload fonts so I am sticking to the ones already there

Last edited by HLS; 09-25-2018 at 06:21 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
You don't have my favorite ... DejaVu Serif E-Book. My favorite because it's nice and dark and sharp. (You don't have to add weight to it to make it darker, like you do with most of the other fonts — at least for my eyes.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I have not a clue on how to upload fonts so I am sticking to the ones already there
I have no opinion on the poll as my favorite font is Google's Noto Serif. As for uploading a font to your Kobo, that is easy peasy.

Just create a folder called fonts and add your fonts to it.

Here is a fairly detailed walkthrough: How to add fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
How to add fonts

Fonts can be be very easily added to the Kobo family of eReaders. With the Kobo attached to your computer, create a new directory called fonts in the root directory of the device (the same location as the .kobo, .adobe-digital-editions and Digital Editions directories.

Once this directory has been created, simply copy entire font families into it.

A font family consists of four files; one each for Regular, Italic, Bold and BoldItalic.
Here's a link to Noto Serif, to give you a font to experiment with: Noto Serif (just click the purple Download TTF button). You'll download a .zip file. Double click on that and there will be four files: NotoSerif-Bold.ttf, NotoSerif-BoldItalic.ttf, NotoSerif-Italic.ttf and NotoSerif-Regular.ttf. Just dump those in the fonts folder and you're done.

Adding fonts to an ereader was one of Kobo's best selling points, before Amazon updated the Kindle to do the same.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have no opinion on the poll as my favorite font is Google's Noto Serif. As for uploading a font to your Kobo, that is easy peasy.

Just create a folder called fonts and add your fonts to it.

Here is a fairly detailed walkthrough: How to add fonts

Here's a link to Noto Serif, to give you a font to experiment with: Noto Serif (just click the purple Download TTF button). You'll download a .zip file. Double click on that and there will be four files: NotoSerif-Bold.ttf, NotoSerif-BoldItalic.ttf, NotoSerif-Italic.ttf and NotoSerif-Regular.ttf. Just dump those in the fonts folder and you're done.

Adding fonts to an ereader was one of Kobo's best selling points, before Amazon updated the Kindle to do the same.
Cool. Got them loaded
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:10 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Cool. Got them loaded
If you like these fonts they can also now be added to your Oasis and Paperwhite.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Hard to Pick whats best. Best for me might be the Worst for You.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Of the fonts on the device, my preferred font is Georgia. But, I usually have the font set to "Publishers Default". This defaults to Georgia if there isn't a font in the book. And if there is, then I want to at least give it a chance. If the book is well styled, then I want to see it. And like a little variety.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
My favourite font is Jon Wolf's modified Charis Sil font. Not a builtin font but adding fonts to a Kobo is so easy that discussing only builtin fonts is a bit silly (IMNSHO).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #9
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Georgia for me - periodically I try other fonts, but I revert back to Georgia after a couple of days. For my eyes it is clear and nicely separated, nothing distracting.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #10
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I like
https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/diavlo
But I only use the bold or black version. I just prefer really dark fonts.

Hth,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The best font is completely subjective. It depends mostly on the eyesight of the individual reading. You don't have my font either, I've been using Roboto Slab the last few years and love it. Before that, Lexia DaMa. Those 2 are about the only fonts I find comfortable for my reading on any reader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:28 PM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
What I would call best changes with time and conditions, but at the moment I like Amasis best of the built-in fonts, and most often use Gentium Plus of the sideloaded fonts. Both are fairly tightly-spaced fonts so more words per line, but still very readable at small font sizes on my old Glo. I like the upright italics in Gentium Plus. EB Garamond 12pt is another favourite, but it is a bit fancier and so I need to use a larger font size for it to be as readable.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:33 AM   #13
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
None of the installed fonts.

My favorites presently are Bookman Old Style for most books, Roboto for Calibre catalogs, and if I want a narrow font, Tinos. I'm always looking for new fonts for when I want a change and I keep previous favorites active, like Palatino and Linux Biolinum.

Calibri, Caudex, Dejavu Serif, Linux Biolinum, Noto Sans, Noto Serif, Palatino and Tinos are good for glyphs outside the common range (none of the installed fonts are).

I test them with a string of special characters: ½ÁǺÞĄÅἈ
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:51 AM   #14
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
I like bitter lately, used to read on CIL and literata. i don't use built in fonts. As Ripplinger said
Quote:
The best font is completely subjective. It depends mostly on the eyesight of the individual reading.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #15
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Malabar for 300DPI devices. The text is clear and very easy to read, it 'fits' together nicely (so text isn't wasting too much space, but doesn't look squished together either,), and overall, looks the closest to the style that has most often been used on the fantasy/sci-fi paper books I've read over the years. The caligraphic touches are nice, but not distracting.

That being said, the details are fine, and not really appropriate for lower resolution devices. For those, I would use either Georgia or Charis SIL. The simpler, blockier serif's and letter forms from those fonts will look good at lower resolution without as much visible aliasing.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote