Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
tomx2
Connoisseur
tomx2 began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note
Help With PDF Covers

Does anyone have a suggestion or experience with how to add a cover to a pdf ebook? (in calibre or otherwise). In other words, i have no need to edit text, just want to add a cover to the file that will show in my reader(s). I have tried several times (after adding a cover) to convert from pdf to pdf with poor results. Coverting from pdf to anything else results in even worst results.

Thanks T
tomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
I thought the cover shown on a pdf was always the first page. If that IS the case, then you'd have to edit the pdf by inserting a picture as the first page.

If the cover isn't the first page, then I have no idea.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
tomx2
Connoisseur

Understood. I guess what i'm after is how to do it. As in what software (if not calibre) I could use (preferably free) to insert the page/image....
Old 06-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #4
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
For the few times I need to add a cover, split a PDF into multiple documents or to merge PDF documents I use the free application PDF Split and Merge.

There are probably other similar applications around too but I have never had the incentive to look further.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #5
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Foxit Reader is free and can be used to add pages and images to a pdf.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2019, 05:40 PM   #6
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...As does Xodo too (which I just use for reading PDFs, not manipulating them). I think there is a whole fleet of them that allow adding pages if one looks around.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
For the few times I need to add a cover, split a PDF into multiple documents or to merge PDF documents I use the free application PDF Split and Merge.

I think it can be done with PDF xChange or Irfanview, but then I'd have to remember how to do it within a swathe of other functionality.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 PM   #8
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
I generate a cover to various Bridge articles using a custom template I developed to take advantage of the Generate Cover plug-in with Calibre. That fulfills my need. Now, for YOUR need ... I would do the same, which would get me my cover as a JPG when I save the book to disk. Now, open the JPG in your favourite graphic browser (I prefer IrfanView) and print that JPG full page to a PDF printer ... Microsoft installs at least one, but I prefer PDF ReDirect because I can print that cover, THEN PRINT the PDF you created and save under a combined name. So, let's say the PDF is called Tom - My Life and Times.PDF. The process would be to create the cover in Generate Cover in PDF, which will have the title My Life and Times then an author by-line of Tom. Then Save the book to a folder, which will result in a PDF, a JPG and an OPF, all called Tom - My Life and Times. Load the JPG into your graphic Browser (for me, IrfanView). Print it to my PDF printer redirector of choice (for me PDF ReDirect). Then call up the JPG in your PDF view (in my case, Sumatra). Print to PDF ReDirect NOT HAVING CLEARED ANYTHING from the just finished print session. NOW, save the two part printer output to Tom - My Life and Times2.pdf. Or even overwrite the coverless PDF. Or to another folder. Whatever you like. You NOW will have a pdf with both cover and content.

Convoluted. Sure. Easy. Yes.
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:10 AM   #9
AnotherCat

Yes that is another way I use from time to time (in respect to adding a cover or building a PDF from many files). I use PrimoPDF for which workflow for a cover is just print the cover image (jpg, etc.) to a PDF file, then print the main document to the same file in which case PrimoPDF asks if one wants to append it to the first file created - select Yes.

So a lot of ways.

EDIT: Could also do it in MSWord, for simple text documents at least, (2016 anyway, can't recollect for earlier versions) as it will convert a PDF to text for editing, then add ones cover image to a new front page and save to PDF.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 06-11-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #10
tomx2
Connoisseur

Thanks for the help, I tried (as suggested) "PDF Split and Merge (basic edition)" and was able to get it done. I have no experience with creating pdf's so i'm sure it's was my ignorance getting in the way.

For those looking for the same solution as i was, here are step by step instructions on how to add a cover to a pdf ebook. I used PDF Split and Merge Basic Edition (free download). First convert your image file to PDF (I used windows built-in printer). Now add the image pdf to "pdf Split and merge" then add the pdf ebook in that order. Choose "Run". In this example a PDF will be created that has a new first page with your cover.

PS- I've also tried a host of online editors (Sejda PDF Editor, Inkscape, FormSwift's Free PDF Editor, etc.) but of course, they don't work without an upgrade of some sort.

Last edited by tomx2; 06-11-2019 at 02:14 PM.