Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #1
Tattvadarzin
Tattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Android Tablet
Question Kindle 1.7 AZW -> AZW3 in Calibre 4.2.1 but -> AZW in Calibre 5.23

I have Kindle 1.7 on machine A Win7 with Calibre 4.2.1, DeDRM 7.2.1.

I download a book and import it into Calibre. It shows up as AZW3. I can convert it to ePUB.

On machine B I have Calibre 5.23.0, DeDRM 7.2.1.

I copy the Kindle files to machine B Win10. I import it into Calibre. It shows up as AZW. I cannot convert it to ePUB because Calibre tells me it is DRM protected.

I am mystified as to why 5.23.0 does not recognise this as AZW 3 and thus DeDRM has not worked.
Tattvadarzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle for PC/Mac uses a .azw extension for all files regardless of format. After DRM is removed the extension is changed to the correct one based on the actual format of the book. If DRM removal fails the .azw extension remains.

Assistance with DRM removal is not allowed on MobileRead. Ask for help at either Apprentice Alf's Blog or Apprentice Harper's GitHub.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
Tattvadarzin
Tattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Thanks, that makes sense. It seems the same plug in works in Calibre 4.2.1 but not in 5.32.0. Oh the fun I have had trying to get Calibre and Kindle working together with DRM removal on my Win10 machine. It is curious though that the same code fails in the newer Calibre - that is why I hypothesised it was a Calibre problem.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattvadarzin View Post
Thanks, that makes sense. It seems the same plug in works in Calibre 4.2.1 but not in 5.32.0. Oh the fun I have had trying to get Calibre and Kindle working together with DRM removal on my Win10 machine. It is curious though that the same code fails in the newer Calibre - that is why I hypothesised it was a Calibre problem.
It's not a Calibre5.23 or DeDRM 7.2.1 problem. It's user error. We are not allowed to tell you what the solution is here.

You can go to https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com and ask for help in the comments.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-29-2021 at 03:28 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not a Calibre5.23 or DeDRM 7.2.1 problem. It's user error. We are not allowed to tell you what the solution is here.

You can go to https://apprenticealf.wordpress.comand ask for help in the comments.
The correct link is https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com

Yep, it's user error. The keywords here are I copy the Kindle files to machine B Win10. That's certainly not what you should do.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2021, 08:33 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If you buy an ebook for a specific Kindle and use Amazon's Download to PC (for that Kindle), then afterwards the files can be copied to any computer. Though they have DRM keyed to the selected physical Kindle, and without Alf can't convert.

But if you are buying an Amazon ebook for a Kindle app, then copying elsewhere is pointless except as a backup. Alf only works on the one computer that has the Kindle app/program.

Buy a cheap physical kindle and always select Download to PC (includes Macs, iOS. Linux and Android) and then select that physical kindle, not any registered App.

Last edited by Quoth; 07-29-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:18 AM   #7
Tattvadarzin

Thanks for the pointers. I suspect the files are signed for my Kindle app on my Win7 machine and thus useless elsewhere.

I bought the book and I do not intend to pirate it, just read it on my new Kobo Clara HD. The rules of this group are a bit strange but I understand the caution. Giving more money to Amazon for Kindle hardware seems like putting salt on the wound, but thanks for the alternative. I would buy from Kobo but they do not have the book.

I shall pursue the quest at Alf's however I read there and elsewhere first and got thoroughly confused. It seems there is no solution for KFX at the moment with the current versions of reader and plugin.

Thanks again for the help. It is why I like forums.

Last edited by Tattvadarzin; 07-30-2021 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:35 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If you buy an ebook for a specific Kindle and use Amazon's Download to PC (for that Kindle), then afterwards the files can be copied to any computer. Though they have DRM keyed to the selected physical Kindle, and without Alf can't convert.

But if you are buying an Amazon ebook for a Kindle app, then copying elsewhere is pointless except as a backup. Alf only works on the one computer that has the Kindle app/program.

Buy a cheap physical kindle and always select Download to PC (includes Macs, iOS. Linux and Android) and then select that physical kindle, not any registered App.
I will say you are wrong here about DeDRM only working on the computer that has KindleForPC/MAC installed. The forum rules don't let me say how you are wrong. But just know that you are.

That's why I said to ask in the comments section of Alf's blog. There the answer can be given.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:16 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I will say you are wrong here about DeDRM only working on the computer that has KindleForPC/MAC installed.
I can't argue because its absolutely years since I had a working KindleForPC and never used its files with Calibre. But I do know there is no problem with files downloaded for a physical Kindle via Download to PC and direct "Whispernet" Kindle files (WiFi) are KFX and don't work.

I've always downloaded to PC for a physical Kindle, which so far avoids KFX with PW3. I have also a KK3 which does manage KF8, though doesn't render quite the same and a DXG which only gets old Mobi/KF7.

I suspect a KK3 might be the oldest that supports the KF8, which IMO is the best download format from Amazon. Amazon adds DRM to KFX even when a publisher requests DRM free.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:16 AM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I shall pursue the quest at Alf's however I read there and elsewhere first and got thoroughly confused.
The rules here on MobileRead allow us to discuss DRM but do not allow giving instructions for its removal. Some of the same people who post here will assist you if you ask in the proper place.

Quote:
It seems there is no solution for KFX at the moment with the current versions of reader and plugin.
That is true. However there are ways of avoiding KFX and that topic can be discussed on MobileRead. See the thread Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre for details.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #11
Tattvadarzin

I solved my problem so I can now abandon Win 7: Calibre and Kindle.

I downgraded Kindle to 1.17 in Win 10 after removing the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Amazon and reregistering.

Thanks to all.