Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
dictionarylover
dictionarylover began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre Portable is Broken?

So I have been using Calibre Portable (most recent version) on a PNY 128GB 3.0 USB Flash Drive for the past month or so, and I have begun having problems.

Even when I had just under 10 books, whenever I tried editing metadata or deleting things, the program came to a grinding halt and I would be forced to end the process.

As of now, I have ~600 ebooks in multiple formats.

I want to figure out how to fix the program so that it functions quicker and crashes less, as it takes too much time during each boot.
dictionarylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionarylover View Post
So I have been using Calibre Portable (most recent version) on a PNY 128GB 3.0 USB Flash Drive for the past month or so, and I have begun having problems.
The last time which was back in 2015(??), that I ran speed tests on a PNY Turbo 128GB USB 3.0 flash drive, the results were not impressive especially for the 4K block writes (less than 250K per second is pretty pathetic). A SanDisk unit produced results that were much better in all areas including churning out 10MB+ results on the 4K writes.

This was using Crystal DiskMark 5.

I won't get into the complaints around the same time about issues with that drive and it's infant mortality issues.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:02 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Use Samsung or SanDisk flash drive or switch to external portable HDD (avoid the Seagate SMR ones).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
dictionarylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The last time which was back in 2015(??), that I ran speed tests on a PNY Turbo 128GB USB 3.0 flash drive, the results were not impressive especially for the 4K block writes (less than 250K per second is pretty pathetic). A SanDisk unit produced results that were much better in all areas including churning out 10MB+ results on the 4K writes.

This was using Crystal DiskMark 5.

I won't get into the complaints around the same time about issues with that drive and it's infant mortality issues.
Hey David,

Thanks for the reply.

What kind of flash drive would you suggest? I see that SanDisk has a bunch of 3.0s and 3.1s of varying models, and I have NO clue what to do for a external hard drive.

If I was looking for a 128gb and a 256gb usb flash drive, what should I go with?

Or is there a single external hard drive to do both?

And won't that kill my Calibre library?
Old 07-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use a 'Passport" drive. 3.0 compatible, light weight. Can't say how much abuse it will take, but it works fine.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
dictionarylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I use a 'Passport" drive. 3.0 compatible, light weight. Can't say how much abuse it will take, but it works fine.
what brand/model?

also, do you know anywhere I can find ebooks outside of the library here?
Old 07-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
what brand/model?

also, do you know anywhere I can find ebooks outside of the library here?
"Passport" is Western Digital (WD).

WD's portable drive naming:
  • Element - basic USB mass storage
  • Passport - adds encryption and some extra software? not sure, I just reformat anyway when I buy this on sale for less than the Element
  • Passport Ultra - USB-C support for newer computers
Old 07-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
dictionarylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
"Passport" is Western Digital (WD).

WD's portable drive naming:
  • Element - basic USB mass storage
  • Passport - adds encryption and some extra software? not sure, I just reformat anyway when I buy this on sale for less than the Element
  • Passport Ultra - USB-C support for newer computers
what reformatting do you normally do?
Old 07-29-2019, 05:48 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
what reformatting do you normally do?
Just to NTFS, 64K sectors. I use my portables (4TB) for videos so that makes seeks and sequential read/write a bit faster (at the cost of wasting a lot more space on smaller files).
Old 07-29-2019, 05:53 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I just removed the encryption with the tools that came with the disk. YMMV
IMHO you are over thinking this. The drive is pretty much ready to go. Way back, I put old (I upgraded the size) Laptop drives into a USB caddy. But off the shelf drives have becom reasonable (if you shop a bit. The big A is not always best, but I also watch out for cheapos. WD drives are decent)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:59 PM   #11
dictionarylover

Quote:
IMHO you are over thinking this. The drive is pretty much ready to go. Way back, I put old (I upgraded the size) Laptop drives into a USB caddy. But off the shelf drives have becom reasonable (if you shop a bit. The big A is not always best, but I also watch out for cheapos. WD drives are decent)
so what brand is best?
Old 07-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I use some of the drives for recording (from antenna, 4-tuner HDHomeRun). Going with bigger allocation units is make or break between getting a corrupted video and a good one when recording multiple shows.

Funnily enough, nowadays USB HDDs actually tend to be cheaper than their internal counterparts.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
dictionarylover

So I am in no way well versed with all this...

What exactly is the optimal first-time external hard drive to purchase? 2TB preferred...
Old 07-29-2019, 06:29 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
So I am in no way well versed with all this...

What exactly is the optimal first-time external hard drive to purchase? 2TB preferred...
I recommend Western Digital. Element or Passport doesn't matter. Just go with whatever's cheaper. I think you can find 2TB on sale for $50-60 quite frequently.

Note:
Any drive can fail. Make sure you backup.

P.S. If you're in the US, I think WD also has the EasyStore which I believe is pretty much the same as the Element except branded exclusively for Best Buy.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 07-29-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IMO Toshiba portable USB hard drives are a bit better than WD but they usually cost more, then there's the rest.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote