Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 11-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #16
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Now that I know how to getting the formatting I want, the next OI update I attempt WILL be installed in my main memory, and I will see if I can get by without using the live version on the SD card in conjunction with the BeBook firmware in the main memory. I know of course I can always reverse the process, and I have all my titles backed up for reloading in the installed version of OI. (You may recall -- as I certainly do! -- how you rescued me before when I momentarily thought I had lost all my titles through a reverse BeBook-OI transition.) Again, many thanks. Jim
You are welcome. Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2009, 05:42 AM   #17
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Also, my /mnt/storage directory is empty. As I have booted my OI as a live version from my SD card, and all my titles are on the card separately, not in the OI storage directory, I suspect that this is why the storage directory is currently empty. Further clarification/instructions as usual would be appreciated.
/home is in /mnt/storage for "Install" setups, but in separate location for "Live". /home/user is a correct location (it's "home" for all configuration files).
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #18
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
/home is in /mnt/storage for "Install" setups, but in separate location for "Live". /home/user is a correct location (it's "home" for all configuration files).
So, Dottedmag, is DaveS's assumption correct that in the live version there is probably no place I can place a modification to my paragraph formatting that would survive a snapshot update?
Old 11-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #19
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
So, Dottedmag, is DaveS's assumption correct that in the live version there is probably no place I can place a modification to my paragraph formatting that would survive a snapshot update?
/home/user
Old 11-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #20
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
/home/user
Dottedmag: You are a bit too cryptic for me. In my live version my revised format preferences are contained in /usr/share/FBReader/default/styles.xml. I assume these revisions will disappear in an update install of the snapshot. Do I understand you to mean that if these revised style preferences are contained in /home/user/FBReader, they will not disappear? And if so, how do I place those preferences into /home/user/FBReader? I tried copying and pasting "styles.xml," but that wasn't possible.
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #21
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Uhm, wait a bit. Looks like I was wrong: everything is in rootfs.ext2, so on next "update" (running another live version it won't be preserved.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #22
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Uhm, wait a bit. Looks like I was wrong: everything is in rootfs.ext2, so on next "update" (running another live version it won't be preserved.
Well, whereas I'm disappointed that I'll not be able to preserve my formatting preferences in an update of the live version, as least you have clarified the reason for my difficulty in understanding. Many thanks, anyway, and regards.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #23
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Just back up /home/user before switching to new version and put it back there after update. Should work without problems.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:25 AM   #24
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Just back up /home/user before switching to new version and put it back there after update. Should work without problems.
One further clarification needed. Sorry. Does /home/user/ in the live OI installation contain the revisions I have made to /usr/share/FBReader/default/styles.xml? I don't see them there.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:17 AM   #25
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Use /home/user/.FBreader directory for custom styles instead.

Not sure about exact file name, better ask LunohoD.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:44 AM   #26
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
You should put your changes into .FBReader/ui.xml file. I usually change settings in FBReader on my desktop and see what have been changed in that file.

Something like that:
Code:
  <group name="Style">
    <option name="Regular Paragraph:spaceBefore" value="5"/>
  </group>
Old 11-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #27
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
You should put your changes into .FBReader/ui.xml file. I usually change settings in FBReader on my desktop and see what have been changed in that file.

Something like that:
Code:
  <group name="Style">
    <option name="Regular Paragraph:spaceBefore" value="5"/>
  </group>
Lunohod: In following up on your very welcome further advice (to that of Dottedmag), here's what I did, to be as methodical as possible:

I went into /usr/share/FBReader/default/styles.xml and removed my added paragraph spacing instruction from the first "paragraph" instruction line. You may recall from my above comments that this added instruction of mine provided me with my desired space line between paragraphs. After removing it, I checked and found indeed that the space line was no longer appearing in the book text.

I then went to /home/user/.FBReader/ui.xml file, and per your instruction inserted in the "Style" group the option name instruction you gave me. When I attempted to save this revision, an error message appeared, which I over-rode, and the new instruction nevertheless remained in the Style group as I had typed it. However, the instruction subsequently didn't work -- no space line appeared between paragraphs in one of my titles. I then rebooted OI on the SD card, went back to the ui/xml file and found that the new instruction had disappeared. I repeated this entire process twice, with the same results.

I then went back to /usr/share/FBReader/default/styles.xml, reinserted my instruction as before, and it works fine, with no error message having appeared when I went to save. And it survives a rebooting.

Do you have any idea why this happened? Remember, I'm using the "live" version of OI. Maybe what I'm asking of you just isn't worth any further efforts on your part. I will understand if this is the case. Anyway, thanks and regards.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #28
ascherjim
Addict

Lunohod (and Dottedmag): If either of you is still reading this thread (and I can understand if you're not!), here's the latest:

I've bitten the bullet and given up trying to use the live version in tandem with my Bebook firmware. But I've done this only out of frustration with the Bebook firmware crashes due to that firmware not being able to read certain symbols which have cropped up in some of my Mobipocket titles, but which can be read (passed over) without crashing with OpenInkpot. So, I've installed OI in my main memory.

I then have tried putting the paragraph spacing instruction which Lunohod recommended into the .FBReader/ui.xml file, which now has worked (which it didn't with the live OI) and has even(!) survived a rebooting. (Whether it will survive the installation of an update snapshot, I don't yet know.) Anyway, many thanks again to the two of you (assuming you even read this).
Old 12-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #29
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I then have tried putting the paragraph spacing instruction which Lunohod recommended into the .FBReader/ui.xml file, which now has worked (which it didn't with the live OI) and has even(!) survived a rebooting. (Whether it will survive the installation of an update snapshot, I don't yet know.)
FWIW, the changes that I have made in /home/user have survived multiple snapshot installations with no problem whatsoever.

I hope it works as well for you!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #30
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
FWIW, the changes that I have made in /home/user have survived multiple snapshot installations with no problem whatsoever.

I hope it works as well for you!
Dave: If it has worked for you, I assume it will also work for me. Thanks to you also (yet again) for all your (ongoing) help. Jim