Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 09-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #16
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Yeah it works. Thanks Moe.

Has anyone else noticed that the September snapshots seem to result in a shorter battery life or is that just my imagination?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
This was a known issue for the Hanvon N516, but it's marked as "fixed". Perhaps it also occurs in our Hanlin V3 clones.

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 09-26-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Changed the link, added a point
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #18
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
The 20090925 version can delete books. Long-press the number for the book and a "file management" window will pop up with 1-Open, 2-Hide, 3-Add to favourites and 4-Delete.

I believe this functionality started a few versions before 20090925.
I know this has been asked and somewhat answered before, but let me remind that we apparently still don't have the means within the newer versions of OI to move titles back and forth between the internal memory and the SD card, which was possible in earlier versions. That would be most useful to reinstate.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:53 AM   #19
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
This was a known issue for the Hanvon N516, but it's marked as "fixed". Perhaps it also occurs in our Hanlin V3 clones.
No, it does not.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:03 AM   #20
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
The 20090925 version can delete books. Long-press the number for the book and a "file management" window will pop up with 1-Open, 2-Hide, 3-Add to favourites and 4-Delete.

I believe this functionality started a few versions before 20090925.

Thanks again for the tip about now having a delete function in Madshelf. I can confirm that it happened sometime between 18 September and 25 September, because the 18 September that I was using did not do it. I really like that feature because, as a pleasure reader, I only keep unread books on the device. Now I can go back to just deleting a book when I finish instead of needing to connect to the PC to delete it.
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #21
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
No, it does not.
That's good to know. I wasn't experiencing any quick battery drain myself. Slayda thought his EzReader might be, but perhaps it's just his active imagination.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #22
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's good to know. I wasn't experiencing any quick battery drain myself. Slayda thought his EzReader might be, but perhaps it's just his active imagination.
That may be it. I have two EZ Readers (since I lost one at the beginning of Summer & found it after buying a replacement). I have one that I mostly read from with the May Snapshot and the other I am experimenting with later snapshots. I did not run any real tests, just had the feeling that the later snapshots were using the battery more quickly.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #23
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I did not run any real tests, just had the feeling that the later snapshots were using the battery more quickly.
If it is any consolation, I have been having that feeling too. I always leave OI running, in the older versions by just closing the case, and with the later versions by also locking the keyboard. It just seems like the battery meter starts going down sooner.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #24
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
It just seems like the battery meter starts going down sooner.
Okay. I haven't noticed that myself, but I'll keep a closer eye on it now. Dave, in FBReader the battery meter is indicated as a percentage. Does it jump numbers, like from 60% down to 55%, or does it just seem to deplete single numbers more quickly? When you stop reading, is it at 60% and then you lock the keyboard and when you pick it up again it's at 55%? I don't use the keyboard lock myself. Maybe it's using extra juice to do that? I know, it doesn't make sense, but I'm just thinking out loud here.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #25
slayda
Retired & reading more!

You've got me interested in running a test of sorts. Since I have two readers, here's what I'm thinking - Load the same set of books on identical SD cards, open the same book to the same place, have the battery charged on both to 100%, Let them sit overnigh (with Sept. snapshot in keyboard lock mode, May just left on), check the battery percent in the morning.

If I get a significant difference in percentage, I'll swap the batteries & SD cards and retest to see if the results are consistant. I do not plan to swap the versions of OI between the readers. Any suggestions or recommendations? May be a day or two before I get everything set up.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #26
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Okay. I haven't noticed that myself, but I'll keep a closer eye on it now. Dave, in FBReader the battery meter is indicated as a percentage. Does it jump numbers, like from 60% down to 55%, or does it just seem to deplete single numbers more quickly?
The voltage changes over the middle 70-80% of Lithium batteries discharge curve are fairly small, so I imagine that it would be very difficult to get 1% resolution over the whole range. To put it another way, I sometimes notice some jumps too, but I still like the percent scale a lot better than just the four bars. BUT, because of the non-linear change in voltage in respect to charge state, I think the percent numbers need to be "taken with a grain of salt".

Quote:
When you stop reading, is it at 60% and then you lock the keyboard and when you pick it up again it's at 55%? I don't use the keyboard lock myself. Maybe it's using extra juice to do that? I know, it doesn't make sense, but I'm just thinking out loud here.
I notice something similar. Most of my embedded systems experience has been in developing and testing cell phone chips with built in microprocessors, and we had ways of causing the system to sleep without any power load to detect a wake up call. I do not have any idea what is used in these readers. I do recall though, that most of the time when we had excessive current drain during sleep was because one of the software engineers forgot to turn some part of the system off when the system went into sleep mode.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #27
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
You've got me interested in running a test of sorts. Since I have two readers, here's what I'm thinking - Load the same set of books on identical SD cards, open the same book to the same place, have the battery charged on both to 100%, Let them sit overnigh (with Sept. snapshot in keyboard lock mode, May just left on), check the battery percent in the morning.

If I get a significant difference in percentage, I'll swap the batteries & SD cards and retest to see if the results are consistant. I do not plan to swap the versions of OI between the readers. Any suggestions or recommendations? May be a day or two before I get everything set up.
That sounds like a valid objective test. That should either re-enforce or discredit our subjective experiences. I do not read from, or leave an SD card in my device, but my subjective feeling seems to match yours. Swapping the batteries to confirm the test sounds like a very good idea since there can be significant variations in battery behavior.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #28
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Keep us posted, Slayda! Sounds like an interesting test. And, with two devices, you're the perfect person to conduct it.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #29
slayda
Retired & reading more!

The test has begun. For some reason I was unable to get the 9-25 snapshot to work so am testing with the 9-18 snapshot.

An interesting preliminary result(?) - it seems that the May snapshot is turning pages almost twice as fast as the 9-18 snapshot (unless it is an artifact of the hardware being used). The reader that has the Sept. snapshot is about a year older than the one with the May snapshot.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #30
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
An interesting preliminary result(?) - it seems that the May snapshot is turning pages almost twice as fast as the 9-18 snapshot .
Do you have "turbo mode" turned on in the May snapshot?

I have not noticed an option for turbo mode in the newer snapshots, but I may have just missed it.