Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Is May still the best?

Hi all,

Well I finally got around to getting an SD card and thought I'd give OI a shot. So is the May snapshot still considered the "best" by most people? If so where do I download it from and if not which one should I be looking at trying? I definitely want an install version of OI and not use the live version.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 09-25-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
Michele Clinco
Michele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with others

Device: BeBook/Openinkpot, DR1000S, Kindle 3 & 4NT, Various Android devices
The only version that works in 'live' mode is the one of march, you can download it from the openinkpot web site.
I could not wait until they fix the bug in newer versions, so I 'flashed' my BeBook :-)

Bye.
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Clinco View Post
The only version that works in 'live' mode is the one of march, you can download it from the openinkpot web site.
I could not wait until they fix the bug in newer versions, so I 'flashed' my BeBook :-)

Bye.
I have not been able to get even the live March version to work on my BeBook. However, PKFFW's original question was where to find the May version for downloading as a the prime install, not the live install. I'm interested in the answer to that, too.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
I have not been able to get even the live March version to work on my BeBook. However, PKFFW's original question was where to find the May version for downloading as a the prime install, not the live install. I'm interested in the answer to that, too.
Hi asherjim,

From trolling back through other threads I did find a May install here......

http://users.openinkpot.org/~lunohod/20090508/

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 09-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Haven't had the time to test the september snapshots but I really really like the May Snapshot. (The august releases were too rough for me. YMMV.)

Still finding things to like in the May "non-release". The latest?
Font size control via the silver +/- buttons is *not* limited to the menu picks.
(One of my few nits was that I thought 18 points was a tad small for a maximum font size. Turns out it isn't; I gave up trying after getting to 40 points. Granted, 20-24 points is the useful limit but you have to like a product that lets you have it *your* way).

Anyway, the may snapshot (undocumented though it may be) is probably the best firmware for the Hanlin V3s out there. And, given the migration to the abomination called ADE, it is likely to remain the high water mark until the new GUI builds of OI mature.
And even then, those that think lean is best might prefer it to the new paradigm.

It is ridiculously stable, fabulously flexible, and except for lack of lit/pdb support handles all the *useful* formats the base firmware does, but better.
The only glitches and lockups (twice only) came with (of course!) epub files.
The more I see of epub in the wild the less I like it. <sigh>

Good luck!

(Don't forget to check out the long-press book-opening option. Coolreader3 has its uses. If nothing else, it opens some <grr> epubs that FB reader chokes on... Plus, dual-column landscape mode!)

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-25-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
PKFFW
Wizard

Thanks for the comments fjtorres.

A couple of questions if I may.......

Which format do you find works best? Stability is the most important thing so the less freezes or reboots the better. I've loaded up an epub file simply to try it out but I'm not married to any particular format.

Is there a way to lock the keypad? That was one feature I really liked on the original firmware.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Yes, there is keylock in newer firmware.

fb2 is probably most tested format.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post

Which format do you find works best? Stability is the most important thing so the less freezes or reboots the better.
I am using the 18 September OpenInkpot, and read primarily EPUB now, although I also like FB2 very much. I have never had a crash or freeze with OI, but I do create all my own books. I use Book Designer to convert whatever input to FB2, and I use Sigl for my final EPUB output.

Quote:
Is there a way to lock the keypad? That was one feature I really liked on the original firmware.
The firmware that I am using has the keypad lock feature, but if you need documentation to help you get used to OI then the May version is your best bet because it most closely matches the documentation on the Wiki. There is no documentation for the 18 September version that I am using, at least that I know of. I just try things and see what happens.

You should also know that the newer versions now use a different internal filesystem, so going back to the Hanlin firmware could be a bit more troublesome than going back to Hanlin from the May firmware. I do not have any reason to go back to Hanlin, so I like the extra reliability that the new filesystem offers.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:58 AM   #9
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Yes, there is keylock in newer firmware.

fb2 is probably most tested format.
Thanks for the tip. Will probably try it out soon.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 09-26-2009, 05:05 AM   #10
PKFFW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I am using the 18 September OpenInkpot, and read primarily EPUB now, although I also like FB2 very much. I have never had a crash or freeze with OI, but I do create all my own books. I use Book Designer to convert whatever input to FB2, and I use Sigl for my final EPUB output.
Out of interest, have you tried Calibre and if so what makes you choose Sigil and BD over it for creating your files?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
The firmware that I am using has the keypad lock feature, but if you need documentation to help you get used to OI then the May version is your best bet because it most closely matches the documentation on the Wiki. There is no documentation for the 18 September version that I am using, at least that I know of. I just try things and see what happens.

You should also know that the newer versions now use a different internal filesystem, so going back to the Hanlin firmware could be a bit more troublesome than going back to Hanlin from the May firmware. I do not have any reason to go back to Hanlin, so I like the extra reliability that the new filesystem offers.
How do you think the newest firmware compares to the May one?

So far I'm very happy with the May firmware, except for the lack of the keypad lock, I really do miss that so it might be worth going for the September one. I especially like the turbo feature. I had gotten used to hitting the page turn button at the start of the 2nd last line and now hit it when I have 2 words left! It is a whole lot faster than the Hanlin firmware with virtually no delay between the button press and the start of the page change. I don't see myself going back to the Hanlin firmware so the internal file system shouldn't be a problem. As long as I can drag and drop using WinSCP I'm happy.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 09-26-2009, 05:39 AM   #11
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Out of interest, have you tried Calibre and if so what makes you choose Sigil and BD over it for creating your files?
Yes, I use Calibre too occasionally, but I do prefer to maintain my own library, so I do not use Calibre for that. The main reason that I use Book Designer and Sigl is that I have become a sort of WSIWYG addict, and with Calibre you do not see your result until the conversion is done. Since I usually buy books in either Mobipocket or eReader format I always have to convert them to read on FBReader. With BookDesigner for FB2 and Sigl for EPUB, I find that the books that I edit look very much like I saw them in the WSIWYG editor when I read them on FBReader. I DO like Calibre too, but I still find myself using Book Designer and Sigl more.

Quote:
How do you think the newest firmware compares to the May one?
They are both very good, but the newest versions have major changes in Madshelf and the filesystem. The new Madshelf design looks great to me, and I like the safety and stability of the new filesystem. There are a LOT of unimplemented features in the new Madshelf since is a work in progress, and some old features are implemented in new ways. One of the unimplemented features is that it is currently unable to delete books that I have finished reading like I was able to do with the May version. I understand that file handling will be re-implemented, but I have not seen it there yet. A new feature that is implemented is that setting the clock is now much nicer and the clock shows up in Madshelf. But as far as just the reading experience goes I don't think that you can go wrong with either May or September. Probably I should mention that I only read with FBReader, so I can not comment on CoolReader or PDF.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I am using the 18 September OpenInkpot, ...
Dave, does that version have a way to delete books? So far I haven't found it if it does.

Also how do you "lock keys" with the may version?
Old 09-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
The 20090925 version can delete books. Long-press the number for the book and a "file management" window will pop up with 1-Open, 2-Hide, 3-Add to favourites and 4-Delete.

I believe this functionality started a few versions before 20090925.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Dave, does that version have a way to delete books? So far I haven't found it if it does.
I have not seen that functionality return in the new Madshelf, but I have seen some posts indicating that it will return with a possible newer implementation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Also how do you "lock keys" with the may version?
I think that dottedmag answered the question in an earlier post in this thread by saying the keylock is in the "newer" versions. I know the keylock is working in the 18 September version that I am using. It is activated and deactivated by a short press on the power button.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #15
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
The 20090925 version can delete books. Long-press the number for the book and a "file management" window will pop up with 1-Open, 2-Hide, 3-Add to favourites and 4-Delete.

I believe this functionality started a few versions before 20090925.
WOW, thanks for that tip!!
running off to try it out right now!!