Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #31
reycat
Enthusiast
reycat began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 + Hanlin V3
I just downloaded and installed OI in my V3 and I'm already in love. Great job, guys!

Two things, 'though:

1) Please, add lock button support as soon as you can. Thank you

2) Is it possible to donate using Paypal? I've not a ChipIn account and I don't feel like creating one just for this. I wouldn't mind donating directly to any of the developers using his/her Paypal account, either.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #32
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by reycat View Post
2) Is it possible to donate using Paypal?
ChipIn will redirect you right to the Paypal.
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 04:14 AM   #33
reycat
Enthusiast
reycat began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 + Hanlin V3
Thank you very much, dottedmag.

And thank you to the OI team, I already donated.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:16 AM   #34
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Thank you.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #35
socalpimp
socalpimp began at the beginning.

Device: prs505(broken), Bebook
What kind of battery life are you getting? I did a couple reflashes and the meter went from 100% to 90%. Anyone having short battery life? Im also using the SD card.
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #36
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalpimp View Post
What kind of battery life are you getting? I did a couple reflashes and the meter went from 100% to 90%. Anyone having short battery life? Im also using the SD card.
I charged to 100% on 30th Jan, just checked the battery now and it's down to 61%. I did notice the gauge dropped from 100% to 85% very very quickly in the first 2 days, but it's been a steady drop since then.

On the BeBook firmware I'd get about 4 weeks before it dropped to 1 bar. Looks like OI is going to give 3-4 weeks assuming the gauge is accurate.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #37
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Reflashing and reading from the SD card consume a lot more energy than just reading from internal storage. Also, shutting down and starting up the device uses more energy than just reading from internal storage. I am reading mostly FB2 from internal storage, and I think that I am using about 2% for every few hundred pages, but that is just a wild guess. I never turn the device off.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #38
socalpimp

Yeah I think I need to learn how to do that, transferring the book from SD to internal. I cant go back after openinkpot. The way it formats the book to the page is amazing. Also, when I try to shut down the book it just hangs at "kill "and does nothing after that.

Last edited by socalpimp; 02-08-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #39
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Yeah I think I need to learn how to do that, transferring the book from SD to internal. I cant go back after openinkpot. The way it formats the book to the page is amazing. Also, when I try to shut down the book it just hangs at "kill "and does nothing after that.
Currently OpenInkPot only provides a method to copy one book at a time from SD to the internal file system. I keep a bunch of books on the SD card, and copy just the current crop into the internal file system. It is not hard to do, but it is a little slow doing it one file at a time. As for your last comment, I can not respond because I have never seen something like that happen.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #40
javimm
Connoisseur
javimm began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Are you sure it hangs?. I mean, when you turn off the device using OI, the screen doesn't turn white. It stays at it is with the last kernel request of KILL processes and request to shutdown, and the hardware inside is turn off. The screen doesn't consume any batteries if it has something showing on it, so OI doesn't bother to draw it white.
If you can normally turn on the device with the on/off button after turn off, OI is behaving like it should. If you can't turn it on after shutdown, that's another matter.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #41
socalpimp

Your right, I get it. How much power is the ebook using while idle? Whats the point of powering down?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:16 AM   #42
javimm
Connoisseur
javimm began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Your right, I get it. How much power is the ebook using while idle? Whats the point of powering down?
Don't know how much power it's using, but sure it consumes way less power than it uses to turn on. Booting the kernel is very power consuming. I leave the device always on, and the power % doesn't change when turning pages after 10 hours of non use. I can loose 2-4% charge if I power it off an then on.

Don't know which idling implementation OI devs use, but it's very efficient.

So I don't see a point to turn it off as the screen doesn't burn or somthing similar
Old 02-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #43
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimm View Post
Don't know which idling implementation OI devs use, but it's very efficient.
jekhor invented it especially for OpenInkpot. It is not not yet pushed to the upstream kernel, but implementation is quite simple.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #44
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hi,

I am trying OI on my Hanlin for the first time, and it is really great compared to the original Bebook firmware, mainly (for me):
- I can now use all the fonts I want (somehow only some of my user fonts were useable with the original firmware)
- hyphenation, although not perfect, is MUCH better with FBReader than with CR. This was the one thing that annoyed me most with the original firmware.
- ability to set margins, indents, etc from the FBReader menu (would be good to be able to set spacing between paragraphs as well)

My main question is: would it be technically possible to make either the CR or FBReader use a custom hyphenation dictionary, similarly to what is done in MSWord or OpenOffice Writer?

Small problems I have noticed so far:
- could not get comms via USB (WinXP): upon installing the linux.inf driver, I can see the network device but it has a yellow exclamation mark, and nothing shows up under Network Connections. Did anybody get this to work under WinXP?
- FBReader does not "see" the manual page breaks in .rtf files. CR does a good job of detecting chapter headings in rtf files and putting a page break before them even if there is no manual page break.
- when doing a word search in FBReader, I am getting a selection of Russian characters instead of English ones. Not sure why that is, maybe FBReader not properly detecting the language of the book as mentioned in other posts, but I would not know that since I cannot access the .xml file to change the language because of problem with USB above.

Basically, both FBReader and CR implementations have useful features. At the moment I prefer FBReader mostly because of the outrageous hyphenations in CR. In an ideal world, of course, ONE reader would have all the good features of each FBReader and CR, and get rid of the annoyances...

All in all, good job guys and keep up the good work. I will keep testing for a little while, and if I decide to stay with you, I will make a donation.

Last edited by daviddem; 02-10-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #45
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddem View Post
Small problems I have noticed so far:
- could not get comms via USB (WinXP): upon installing the linux.inf driver, I can see the network device but it has a yellow exclamation mark, and nothing shows up under Network Connections. Did anybody get this to work under WinXP?
This is a known issue. USB connectivity with Windows XP existed with OI version 0.1. But, since the guys started releasing snapshots in preparation for version 0.2, that connectivity has been lost. I think it is because the snapshots are using a newer Linux kernel. Perhaps dottedmag can clarify this point.

Hopefully, they'll have a fix for this issue in an upcoming snapshot.

You can copy books individually from the SD card to internal storage in Madshelf, if you wish.

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 02-10-2009 at 09:38 PM.