Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairvoyant View Post
Thank you both. Maybe the real update is in Sage due to its new processor but it comes with quite a hefty price tag and I reckon it's aimed at a different audience with stylus.
From Kobo's Canadian site, the Sage is the same price as the 8GB Forma, comes with 32GB of storage, quad-core 1.8GJz processor, dual band WiFi 802.11 ac/b/g/n, Bluetooth audio, etc. The only question mark for me is how much RAM does it have.

Another possible plus is that it appears the power button has moved to the back corner which may make those who were unhappy with the Forma's power button much happier.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:09 PM   #32
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The only question mark for me is how much RAM does it have.
It does not differ from the Elipsa - I assume the same amount
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 05:29 PM   #33
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air & Kindle Oasis
Since I've given up on Amazon ever creating a Kindle with a stylus, the Sage potentially interests me. I know the larger and more expensive Ellipsis has notetaking capability too.

Is there a native Kobo notetaking app on the Ellipsis that will likely be on the Sage too, or can you only take notes within an ebook or PDF?
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:03 PM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
the portability of the 6" ereader seems to have been abandoned by both Amazon and Kobo in favour of the larger devices/screens. for my own personnel preference the PocketBook Touch Lux 5 appears to be the best option if i want the ComfortLight PRO with expandable storage.
I hadn't see that Kobo had withdrawn the Clara HD or Nia. Can you point to where the announcement was made?

But, really, all this demonstrates is that Kobo and Amazon probably have a better idea of what the market actually wants than you do. I mean, it's not as if they don't have sales figures they can look at to see what is actually being sold and make decisions based on that. Oh wait, they do.

Honestly, I don't think Kobo is going to stop selling a 6" ereader any time soon. I'd hope they abandon the Nia, but, it won't surprise me to see a Clara HD update next year.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:28 PM   #35
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHistorian76 View Post
Since I've given up on Amazon ever creating a Kindle with a stylus, the Sage potentially interests me. I know the larger and more expensive Ellipsis has notetaking capability too.

Is there a native Kobo notetaking app on the Ellipsis that will likely be on the Sage too, or can you only take notes within an ebook or PDF?
The Elispa has the ability to create notebooks. Kobo's page for the Sage mentions its built in notebook feature too so it probably has exactly the same thing just with a smaller screen. Depending on how much Kobo is selling the stylus for separately for the Sage you may want to take a look at the Boox Nova 3. Similar size with a stylus in the box, plus more powerful hardware.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I hadn't see that Kobo had withdrawn the Clara HD or Nia. Can you point to where the announcement was made?
Yep, no real change made yet in the land of Kobos. I honestly think, for a 6' reader, the Clara is pretty good as is. Maybe a waterproof version of it (since folks seem to like that feature and it's becoming the "norm").

Quote:
But, really, all this demonstrates is that Kobo and Amazon probably have a better idea of what the market actually wants than you do. I mean, it's not as if they don't have sales figures they can look at to see what is actually being sold and make decisions based on that. Oh wait, they do.
As for Amazon, I don't know what sales figures they could have been going by, since this is their first 6.8" reader. As it is, I think the 6" Paperwhite was their best seller by a large margin. But, since the bezels were pretty large on the 6" Paperwhites, going to 6.8" (with thinner bezels) and yet ending up with a reader pretty close to the same size is probably a no-brainer for them.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think Kobo is going to stop selling a 6" ereader any time soon. I'd hope they abandon the Nia, but, it won't surprise me to see a Clara HD update next year.
I don't think they have to get rid of the Nia — just drop its price by $20, or at least by $10 and making it truly attractive for those on a budget. As it is there's no reason to go cheaper when the Clara often goes on sale for the same price as the Nia (which hardly ever goes on sale).

One thing none of the new Kobos or Kindles have is the microSD slot mentioned by koboy. Personally I still think the PocketBook Touch HD3 is a pretty great reader, light with a great screen. (The microSD slot is not important for me, but I realize others feel differently).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:29 PM   #37
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Still loving my Clara HD! And OG H2O. Don't see any reason to change yet although I would love USB-C.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:09 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
As for Amazon, I don't know what sales figures they could have been going by, since this is their first 6.8" reader. As it is, I think the 6" Paperwhite was their best seller by a large margin. But, since the bezels were pretty large on the 6" Paperwhites, going to 6.8" (with thinner bezels) and yet ending up with a reader pretty close to the same size is probably a no-brainer for them.
Amazon does have the 7" Oasis for sales info. I think it is more interesting as to why they chose 6.8" rather than a matching 7". And looking back at Kobo's devices, they had several 6.8" devices before going to the 7" Libra H2O.

But, what I am curious about is why the chose 6.8" for this device. Unless there is something about the 7" that means it won't work in this shape. Maybe it is to do with the light positions and what screens are available for that.

Quote:
I don't think they have to get rid of the Nia — just drop its price by $20, or at least by $10 and making it truly attractive for those on a budget. As it is there's no reason to go cheaper when the Clara often goes on sale for the same price as the Nia (which hardly ever goes on sale).
I think it would need to be more than $20 to make it worth it. To me, the specs of the Nia, and the Aura Edition 2 before it, are just to close to the next model up to make them sensible at anywhere near the current price point. It would be interesting to see what the actual sales are for the various devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:21 AM   #39
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think that two 6 inch devices do not fit into a reasonable product line and that Kobo will abandon one of the two.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:43 AM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Amazon does have the 7" Oasis for sales info. I think it is more interesting as to why they chose 6.8" rather than a matching 7". And looking back at Kobo's devices, they had several 6.8" devices before going to the 7" Libra H2O.
Yeah, but I'm guessing Oasis sales amount to a small fraction of the Paperwhite market. Maybe the new tech makes 6.8" screens cheaper or more viable — and maybe it's too expensive to get the lighting right from the side rather than the bottom. I personally like he 6.8" format better than the square 7" format.

Quote:
But, what I am curious about is why the chose 6.8" for this device. Unless there is something about the 7" that means it won't work in this shape. Maybe it is to do with the light positions and what screens are available for that.
As for choosing a 6.8" screen... I think because they could make the 6.8" Paperwhite look a lot like the 6" one (even close in size). And, also, they could keep selling the Oasis as a "premium" eReader.

Quote:
I think it would need to be more than $20 to make it worth it. To me, the specs of the Nia, and the Aura Edition 2 before it, are just to close to the next model up to make them sensible at anywhere near the current price point. It would be interesting to see what the actual sales are for the various devices.
You're probably right. I honestly thought the Nia would priced at about $70 and often be put on sale at $60 or $55. When I saw they had priced it at $100, I thought "that's got to be temporary" ... especially when the Clara went down permanently to $120. Nope. Maybe the Tolino Page 2 sells better in Europe, so it might be that's why the Nia sticks around. But, if they keep the price of the Nia at $100 then I can't see it surviving.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:44 AM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I think that two 6 inch devices do not fit into a reasonable product line and that Kobo will abandon one of the two.
If they keep the Nia at $100, I don't see how it can survive. It needs to be at least $35-$40 cheaper than the Clara.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:09 AM   #42
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If they keep the Nia at $100, I don't see how it can survive. It needs to be at least $35-$40 cheaper than the Clara.
Yes, but it would make sense to have a real entry-level model, then mid-range and then a top model.
Mid-range and top models have a landscape design - but that does not fit for a 6-inch model.
Clara HD is also mid-range and competes with Libra 2.
The Nia would be an entry-level model that doesn't take away business.

One problem though is Sage and Elipsa - both can do about the same thing.
The Sage has the slightly more pixel-rich screen and at 8 inches is also easier to light, is lighter and also cheaper - except for the larger screen dimensions, the Elipsa has only drawbacks.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:13 AM   #43
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Most wifi chips also do bluetooth.
Sure but they also need additional antennas for bluetooth so even if the chip has BT, if the device only has Wifi antennas you can't use BT
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:14 AM   #44
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by monic39 View Post
wont't buy either of them. The increased weight is a no go for me.
We're talking about 20-30 grams...
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:23 AM   #45
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
We're talking about 20-30 grams...
I'm thinking of the Sage which uncased is 60 grams heavier than my Libra uncased, but 60 grams lighter uncased than my Libra in its case. If I do get a Sage it might stay at home buck naked while the Libra stays in the car in its case.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote