Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #46
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Poke is roughly equivalent to touch, just a bit more forceful. So you poke the Poke with your finger?
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #47
Alex_Go
Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Alex_Go can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook Color, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
Poke is roughly equivalent to touch, just a bit more forceful. So you poke the Poke with your finger?
Makes you wonder as to the quality of their touch screens...
Alex_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #48
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
My take on the name is that you use a stylus with the Note devices, but just your finger with the Poke devices. So, you write notes with the former and finger poke at the latter.

Edit: Oops. I sat on this message a long time before sending it. The same information was given above.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #49
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Does anyone know if "poke" translates into something interesting in another language? Because in English, it's a strange word to use as the name of a device.
Every time I see this thread I wonder about this
You are probably not seeing a trivial matter in pop culture.
When 'poke' does not come from Germanic ('puken' etc.) directly, it comes from the intermediate French 'poche' - not just the "push-through" but also the "pocket".
And the form without the final "t" was popularized 25 years ago by Japanese merchandizing (ex their form 'poketto')... "Pocket monsters"... So "'poke' for 'pocket' ('pocketable' etc.)" is considered by some a marketing interesting form.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #50
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Perhaps the name comes from the American slang "poky", meaning annoying slow or dull.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #51
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Perhaps the name comes from the American slang "poky", meaning annoying slow or dull.
I use that for certain people I don't like...but I can't tell you who.

I'm just saying.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #52
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Pokemon?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #53
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I have a Poke Pro. Great device, crap name.

I wonder what the black and white contrast will be like on these colored devices. After all, it is supposed to read books. Will it be as good as a monochrome device? If not, I'm not sure I'd want one.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:46 PM   #54
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'm excited to say that I have one now! I was able to order one of the last ones. I'm actually a little shocked I got it. I kept expecting I'd have to be refunded as sold out.

Colour has been something I've wanted in e-ink for forever so I couldn't pass this up. If I hadn't nabbed one of these I would've ordered the Pocketbook. Being an early adopter and working with whatever quirks if any are fine for me.

I just got home and haven't even opened it yet though I'm about to. I will let you guys know my thoughts once I'm using it. It may take me a wee bit of time to get it up and running properly; I haven't had many different ereaders before this (if I'm not forgetting any then this is my fourth ever after an ancient Nook, a Sony 950 and my Kindle Voyage) and I don't have a huge amount of spare time at the moment, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:56 AM   #55
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I recently bought the Nova 2 and love it. I installed the Kindle, nook, Kobo, and Libby apps which work fine on the Nova and should be even nicer on the Poke Color.

I also saw that the Poke Color is available on the boox site and in the US here https://www.ectaco.com/eBook-PDA-Dictionaries-items/
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #56
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Not on the Boox site, but on Onyxboox.com, which is an official reseller based in Russia. So it seems the colour reader is only available now through reseller channels. If you order from the Russian reseller, the device may come with a custom firmware installed, not the stock firmware you find on the standard Boox products. So you cannot update the firmware through the standard route, and you then rely upon the reseller to update the custom firmware.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #57
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I didn't realize that was a reseller site....

It is strange that they are the only ones with them in stock.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #58
isaact33
isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx boox m96 & Boox Max 2
Has anyone purchased the poke 2 color from ectaco? I tried calling and emailing them to ensure they have it in stock but I get no response from them.
isaact33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #59
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
You are probably not seeing a trivial matter in pop culture.
When 'poke' does not come from Germanic ('puken' etc.) directly, it comes from the intermediate French 'poche' - not just the "push-through" but also the "pocket".
And the form without the final "t" was popularized 25 years ago by Japanese merchandizing (ex their form 'poketto')... "Pocket monsters"... So "'poke' for 'pocket' ('pocketable' etc.)" is considered by some a marketing interesting form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Pokemon?
That. Of course I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the use of 'poke' in these contexts is "pocketable". And of this use, the great popularizer was that which you [Quoth] mention.

By the way: I think somebody here made me notice me elsewhere (I am in mobility, lazy to check with a phone interface). To me, a "poke" has always been a direct write access to memory.

Last edited by mdp; 09-03-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:47 PM   #60
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I use that for certain people I don't like...but I can't tell you who. // I'm just saying.
...Which read after Jhowell's, which directly followed mine, gives a significant margin in letting suppose that I am the one, nice! (No problem really.)

Well, this could be an occasion to remind the users of the feature of silencing specific others. I used it, I believe, only once on mobileread, for a very occasional user who seemed to have calibrated replies to be annoying (or had a really unusually crippling difficulty with the language). It is probably better than risking having a degeneration towards bar-like comments in the forum. I have seen, in some local (national) cultures - in forums that use non-international languages - uncountable threads that go
"Informative/Insightful/Funny, slur, I/I/F, slur, slur, slur, I/I/F, slur slur slur slur (etc.) spam sausages and spam..." Seriously.