Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The Nia also does support Kobo's Overdrive integration.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Fixed-Layout EPUB? I have found this book, so may be:

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/tod...o-plans-flepub

Here Nia costs € 99,99 while Clara costs € 129,99.

I am not interested, if I would search a 6" Kobo I would buy a Clara, but somebody could like the lower price (€ 30,00 of difference).
Maybe the price difference would be enough to get the Nia say for your kid's first Reader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Under supported formats it says "Flepub". What is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Kobo's Fixed Layout ePub.
Is that the same as what they used to call "KePub," or is this a new thing altogether?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe the price difference would be enough to get the Nia say for your kid's first Reader.
The ads sure seemed aimed at kids (even the colors of the sleep covers).
Old 07-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #20
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Is that the same as what they used to call "KePub," or is this a new thing altogether?
No, it is aimed more at the sort of things people might use PDF or image formats for.
Fixed layout, no reflow.

http://www.primediaelaunch.com/wp-co...-ePub-Spec.pdf

Quote:
FLEPUBs are different than standard EPUBs in that the text and images are not re-flowable. The position and layout of all content is fixed regardless of the size or orientation of the display. This format is best suited for titles where a fixed page layout is integral to the reading experience (ie. cookbooks, children’s books, comics and graphic novels or art books).

The approach to specifying presentation details for FLEPUBs is the inverse of EPUBs. EPUB
creation encourages loosely defining presentation details to allow reading applications the
most discretion for displaying content. The FLEPUB format shifts control of the reading
experience to the content producer and ensures that page design will be uniform across a
range of reading applications.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Does anyone know if the Nia has 512 MB of RAM or 256 MB? I assumed it would 512 MB because that's what's advertised for the Tolino Page 2, but I don't see anything about it on Kobo's site. GoodEReader is showing it at 256 MB (but that may just be an assumption).
Old 07-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
No, it is aimed more at the sort of things people might use PDF for.
Fixed layout, no reflow.

http://www.primediaelaunch.com/wp-co...-ePub-Spec.pdf
Okay. Thanks. I guess the name should have given it away, but I didn't see KePub as a supported file type and was wondering (but I guess KePub is just part of ePub or ePub3 family?).
Old 07-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #23
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay. Thanks. I guess the name should have given it away, but I didn't see KePub as a supported file type and was wondering (but I guess KePub is just part of ePub or ePub3 family?).
I think I asked this before, and the answer was that there is no official source of KePubs except direct from the Kobo store, so they do not officially support sideloading KePubs.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
That's an epub3 fixed layout epub. Kobo has supported those for years. If the fixed layout was properly constructed, the <meta property="rendition:layout">pre-paginated</meta> was used along with the synthetic spread properties. There were a couple of other way to mark an fixed layout, for testing you could change the file extension to .fxl.kepub.epub to force the Kobo Webkit renderer in fixed layout mode.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I think I asked this before, and the answer was that there is no official source of KePubs except direct from the Kobo store, so they do not officially support sideloading KePubs.
Standard Ebooks supplies KePub for the public domain eBooks they have available. But I'm guessing these KePub are make with Calibre and the KePub output plugin or KePubify.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #26
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Does anyone know if the Nia has 512 MB of RAM or 256 MB? I assumed it would 512 MB because that's what's advertised for the Tolino Page 2, but I don't see anything about it on Kobo's site. GoodEReader is showing it at 256 MB (but that may just be an assumption).
It is advertised here as 256 MB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compare.png
Views:	271
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	180619  

Last edited by DrChiper; 07-15-2020 at 10:38 AM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:04 AM   #27
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I got an email from Kobo this morning inviting me to place a pre-order for a Nia. I suppose most of you probably received this also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's what I thought. Or maybe for an adult who's new to ereaders and not sure how much they will use it, so they want to make the smallest possible initial investment until they see if they like it.

Sometimes in the "which one should I buy" forum there are people with a limited budget and $30.00 might matter to them.

When I saw "flepub" I though of a bar for fleas
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #28
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
When I saw "flepub" I though of a bar for fleas
flePubs should be the name if there is ever a way of selling eBooks secondhand.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
Also available starting July 21 is an official Sleep Cover. The case comes in three different colours (Aqua, Lemon and Black) and will set you back $19.99 / £19.99.

-> https://us.kobobooks.com/collections...nia-sleepcover
For once, official covers are available at a reasonable price. That's very refreshing.

I'd like a Nia in the lemon cover, but my Clara and Glowlight Plus are both nicer and still going strong, so I can't justify it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #30
rigogsilva
Enthusiast
rigogsilva doesn't litterrigogsilva doesn't litter

Device: kobo libra h20, kobo aura h20, kindle, boox nova 2
Probably a good move to have a cheaper device. $30 bucks is a lot for some people. Specially when giving that as a gift to someone else. For when you budget is $100 gift...

I do hope they have a high end device soon with a color screen maybe?!
rigogsilva is offline   Reply With Quote