Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Would Amazon find out if I edit and fix the error of my ebooks?

When I notice something not right with my Kindle book, I borrow a hard copy from a library. I then compare the differences. If there is a difference, I would want to fix it.

If I disinfect the Kindle version, edit and fix it, download it back to my Kindle, would Amazon find out? Would they do anything about it?

If I do this, would I still be able to access About This Book and About The Author from the menu and see popular highlights while reading the book?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quick answer on the first part NO.
Second part, I don't know.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I buy my books from Amazon and then remove the DRM and upload a mobi version to my library at Amazon. I do this so I can read it on a variety of devices and not have to worry about it. But I got nervous about getting in trouble with Amazon for doing this so I called Kindle support to see how they feel about it.

The guy asked around and called me back the next day and said no-one there could see any problem with it, even his supervisor, and that some of the support people also did that.

I've been doing it ever since and so far never a problem. About the Book doesn't work when I do this. Presumably neither will popular highlights but since I keep them turned off I can't be sure. Syncing works just fine between my Kindles.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:47 AM   #4
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
About the Book doesn't work when I do this. Presumably neither will popular highlights but since I keep them turned off I can't be sure. Syncing works just fine between my Kindles.

Barry
Thanks barryem. How about the X-RAY? is the X-RAY still fully functional when you do this?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Thanks barryem. How about the X-RAY? is the X-RAY still fully functional when you do this?
No, it won't be. X-Ray data is downloaded from Amazon's servers. It won't be present in a sideloaded book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
Sukarn
Enthusiast
Sukarn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Calibre x-ray plugin: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=273189

X-ray builder for Windows: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=245754

Read the threads for more info. I have not used these myself.
Sukarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Those are DIY X-Ray tools. They don't give you the X-Ray data provided by the publisher.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As HarryT says, X-Ray doesn't work except with the original Amazon format. I can always download that to my Kindle if I want X-Ray.

I used to be fond of X-Ray as a character list but they updated X-Ray a year or two ago to add features and it made it fairly useless as a character list. Not totally useless but a pain to use. Since then, with lots of experimenting, I've found that the text search works better for remembering characters than X-Ray ever did and it's quicker and easier to use.

I never really saw much point in the other aspects of X-Ray. I have problems remembering names and that was my only use for it.

Barry
Old 08-20-2016, 02:29 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
As HarryT says, X-Ray doesn't work except with the original Amazon format. I can always download that to my Kindle if I want X-Ray.

Barry
I also see x-ray as a gimmick, for books and for amazon video. But can the unedited Kindle book coexist with the edited one on the reader, will one need an edited title to distinguish it and to prevent an overwrite
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:14 AM   #10
marrco
Enthusiast
marrco began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4
Quote:
Barry
Also font_ramp works only for azw3 and not mobi, if memory helps
marrco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:42 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I also see x-ray as a gimmick, for books and for amazon video. But can the unedited Kindle book coexist with the edited one on the reader, will one need an edited title to distinguish it and to prevent an overwrite
As long as it has a different filename, it will happily coexist. It doesn't need to have a unique title.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
barryem
Wizard

I don't think I've ever tried downloading the original Amazon format and my converted one to the same Kindle. I'm as happy with either one so I had no reason to. The features that I care about work equally well in either.

I think if you care about all the features the Kindle provides you're probably better off just reading the original formats. The features I use are sync, dictionary, text search, translation and Wikipedia lookup. Those work equally well on either.

Barry
Old 08-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As long as it has a different filename, it will happily coexist. It doesn't need to have a unique title.
I've done this in the past and as Harry says as long as the file name is unique there is no issue. The only thing is that both versions will look the same as far as book cover and title, and that can make selecting a specific version a bit tricky. Since you are modifying the book anyway, you can always change the title to something like "[title]: Revised" or something similar to make the one you revised pop out a bit. I used to edit books like this all the time to bold the text, and so I would rename them to "[title]: Bold".
Old 08-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Let Amazon know there are mistakes ... They will get them Fixed. Then Everyone benefits.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Let Amazon know there are mistakes ... They will get them Fixed. Then Everyone benefits.
Only if they get enough complaints.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote