Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
Need recommendations for alternate Universal Cover Case for the Onyx Boox N96ML?

Can anyone recommend a universal tablet case that works with the Onyx Boox N96ML and is not magnetic? I want a case that will protect the screen, something tough. It’s such a shame because I really liked the manufacturer Onyx cover. The cover was solid and durable but I don't like that magnetic feature. I really think its not good for the tablet.

Also below is a review I posted on Amazon regarding the Onyx N96ML.
--------------------------------------------------------------
As there is only 1 review posted – I have decided to write my own thoughts on this device. I rate this device 3.5 stars out of 5. Please note that I am a light user. I use the Onyx Boox N96ML to read books in all different file formats: zip, rar, cbr, cbz, pdf, epub, txt, rtf, txt, .mobi, doc, docx, html, htm and prc. My only comparison on e-ink readers is my Nook Simple Touch and Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight (BNRV300 & BNRV350) I also have myriad of Android tablets and an Ipad 2.

What you may like about the Onyx B96NL:
1. This has Google Play. This means you can install Android apps. Whether it works well or to your satisfaction with the Onyx varies. I like it because I like installing my favorite e-readers of different file formats specifically Alreader, Perfect Viewer, Coolreader. Other apps I’ve installed are ES File Explorer, MoonReader Pro Ivona TTS and Advanced Task Killer.
2. This has a frontlight. I like having the option of reading my novels at night without using a booklight. That is the reason I bought the frontlight version vs. the dual touch with no light. Besides I still have my Nook Simple Touch ereaders.
3. The 9.7 screen size. Despite the seeming exorbitant price (I’m poor what can I say) I wanted a bigger size for my comic book files. Reading my comic books is definitely better on this screen vs. my 6 inch Nook Simple Touch. There is a 12.2 screen size Onyx Boox Max but I realized that was just too big and bulky to carry around, it was very expensive and it had no frontlight. I also own a 12.2 Galaxy Note Pro tablet anyway. I think the 9.7 screen size is big enough for comic book readers but somewhat “small” enough to carry with you such as the beach (which I did)
4. This has TTS - Text to Speech.

What you may not like:
1. Lower Android version. I’m not that tech savvy so if I’m not mistaken this is the lower version of Android. 4. something. I’m sure you can root this product but I don’t want to risk rooting and I don’t do anything extensive/advanced so I have no need to root. I have noticed that certain apps in Google Play is not available so I had to manually search for an app (such as the Ivona TTS and voice) and install.
2. The speed. What I mean by this is that if you expect fast response time because you are used to Android tablets then you are sorely mistaken. It’s a bit slow and clunky and sometimes I have to press the screen twice tomake sure it really registers.
3. The interface. Not sure if that’s the word but the Onyx Launcher called Content Browser – kinda sucks a bit. I have a lot of books so the library is a little frustrating in regards to sorting books. Turning pages is by using the manual buttons (which I don’t want to wear down) or by using the stylus and swiping it right to left. Its not a click to next page I think if I’m not mistaken. So I prefer using ES File explorer when navigating the files in my micro-sd card.
4. The device hangs and reboots. I’ve had the unfortunate misfortune (wrong grammar lol!) of experiencing quite a few frozen screens, reboot, hang, an app freezing or not working do you want to close, etc. I’ve come to the conclusion that if you have too many apps open, or switching from one to the other or trying to do things fast this will happen. This is why I’ve installed Advanced Task Killer. I try to remember to kill another apps that I haven’t closed down so it wont bog it down/act funny/wont have to force reboot. It *seems* to work but it is a pain.
5. The screen seems fragile/sensitive to scratches. I noticed that my screen had some swiping line/scratches/ Very sad for me. Was I using the stylus too hard that I was scratching it??? So that kind of sucks.
6. Battery life. I feel that the battery life is very very short. I’m currently on my experimental stage. In another Onyx forum someone mentioned that the magnetic cover case may have something to do with it so I’ve taken the cover off and we shall see. For now, my initial observation is that this device runs out of battery faster than my Nook Simple Touch’s when on standby mode. My NST’s have lots of power for weeks on standby mode and this one seems to be gone in day or two. But like I said I’ve taken the magnetic cover off and will update this review if I notice any difference.
7. No other cases around. I never like those magnetic case covers as I’ve heard bad things about it (with my Ipads and even my Galaxy tablets.) Its too bad because I really like the hardness/durability of the Onyx manufacturer case. If someone can recommend me a universal case that works with this I’ve appreciate it.

Other thoughts, experiences and observation. This eink seems to be the best bet among all others. I have a lot of cons but I’m just dealing with it because there is no other choices. It’s definitely expensive and sometimes I feel its not worth it for the price BUT as mentioned ONYX is the only one offering so many features other tablets don’t. So if you’re the ony company supplying this then I guess they can jack up the price. For people using this just to read books, my advice is to use AutoScroll so you don’t wear out the manual page turn buttons or having to use the stylus which can be annoying. (Thank God for autoscroll!) Alreader, Coolreader and MoonPro+ has this feature. For comic books, Perfect Viewer has the automatic slideshow feature and you can adjust how fast you want the next image to show. The internal ebook readers (Oreader and Onyx Neoreader for PDF) do not have the autoscroll feature. Once I figured out the Onyx Neoreader for PDF in regards to adjusting the font, etc. I love it now for reading my pdf books. I love the fact that there is a Text To Speech feature. When I’m lazy I use it and have my books read to me using the Ivona Amy British voice. The internal Pico TTS voice sucks. I would delete that voice if I could, lol. I installed Pandora music station and yes it will work. Surprisingly the audio speaker is not bad (as in the volume can be loud.) I’m not too impressed with the front light brightness level. The max brightness isn’t too bright to me compared to my Nook Simple Touch but it will do.

Yesterday, my Onyx Boox started malfunctioning on me (yikes!) Not sure if it was coincidence but I had decided to remove the magnetic cover, etc. I may also have left it just running forever/powered on with charger attached but who the heck knows. So I had to reboot and factory reset it. So whereas before I had the Nova Launcher, I decided to take it off as well as Clean Master. I really don’t think this eink reader can handle so many memory hogging apps. But anway, for now I will observe and if the Onyx doesn’t act funny again, I’m going to try install Nova Launcher and CleanMaster again. Oh I forgot to mention BS Player and MxPlayer video works lol! It was a hoot to see the videos playing here but you have to do A2refresh for the videos to play smoothly. BS Player seem to handle the videos better. (On my Nook Simple Touch, MX Player played the videos better) The only thing is after you play the videos awhile there will come a lagtime with video and audio. (Also don’t forget to close all your other apps before doing the video playing test)
stardest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:15 AM   #2
UncleZeno
Connoisseur
UncleZeno began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96ML
Stardest,

I don't know about a different cover than the original one (that I really like) but want to tell you that you did a great review and I almost agree on everything

BTW I hope with new versions of firmware we will see improvements. What I really like of the Onyx is that I see progress in releasing firmwares

UncleZ
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thank you for your review.

What disturbs me the most is the lines/swiping issue. These simply will not gently rub away?

This is really disturbing to me, as this is the unit I'm seriously considering.

ADDED: UncleZeno, could you also weigh in on this issue?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
UncleZeno
Connoisseur
UncleZeno began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

What disturbs me the most is the lines/swiping issue. These simply will not gently rub away?

Hi Dr. Drib,

to be honest I do not have same experience. I use the reader 90% of times taking notes with the stylus (on books but also simply using Onyx Scribbler) and is enough to gently clean the screen with a glasses cloth.

If I can add something, about writing, I can say that I would like to have a less jaggy writing. I am confident improvements will come with software updates.

UncleZ
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your thoughts on this issue.

I have a Kindle DX-G, which I love for reading mobi files [fiction] due to the larger size. However, I am starting to experience some electronic issues with that device and wish to purchase something of the same size.

Also, a front light is a priority.

I've heard comments that the light is not very strong, but as long as there is some degree of light, then I'm assuming it will be fine.

I do have one perhaps strange question: I truly enjoy having margin space on all my ebook readers (Kindle Voyage; PaperWhite; DX-G, Kobo Glo), and often on screenshots on this Boox device, I see text that is butted right up against the edges of the screen. This is something I do NOT like. Can this be overcome with the readers that come with the device?

Thanks.
Advert
Old 07-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
Hi UncleZeno and DrDrib,

No, the scratches won’t go away if I wipe them. The scratches aren’t very obvious. I don’t see the scratches when I’m staring at them straight down. It’s more when I angle the tablet screen towards the natural light then I can see the very very light scratches. My guess is that when I got the tablet in the beginning, I was swiping hard with the stylus angled to the right to turn pages in the library using content browser. I had a lot of books/pages so I just kept swiping and swiping to turn to the next page during the experimentation phase. I touched the stylus tip and it doesn’t seem sharp but I think angling it while swiping hard would(did?) cause the scratches. I should keep the stylus straight up when swiping, not angled right sideways.

I updated to the July 2nd new update.zip from the ereader website. Batterywise it *seems* to be working better now. More than 4 days at 57%. I went back to using the magnetic screen cover (lol for me) coz I don’t want my tablet to be damaged. So maybe the magnetic cover doesn’t affect anything and it was just firmware regarding the battery drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

stardest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you for the info, stardest.

I appreciate it.